PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra – Parchers Resort -9/23- 9/26

JohnnyBoy
10-04-2011, 10:13 AM
A trip of firsts:

This report is for the adventure to Parchers Resort in the eastern sierras. We left on Thursday night around 8:30 PM. We had decided that it would make more sense to drive at night and to maximize as much fishing time as we could. So that’s what we did.

The drive itself with the exception of the time involved is an easy drive. It took us roughly 5 hours to get from the LA area to Bishop. Rather that drive through LA we took the 210 west to the 14 north to the 395 north to Bishop. Of note there are a few towns that can only be described as speed traps. Independence for sure, you’re driving 65 to 70 then all of the sudden you see a sign that says 25 mph with a radar gun on it. We then went through a series of small towns of speed up then slow down through town, speed up and slow down through town. We arrived in Bishop, gassed up, made a left on Line Street and headed up to Parchers resort. The road is an easy drive up into the canyon with out a lot of hairpin turns. All in all an easy drive, but a little time consuming.

Parchers:

Parchers is easily seen from the road by a large and huge gate. You pull in and the office is to the right. The accommodations were neat and well kept. It wasn’t the Hilton, but we were just in a hiker’s cabin. Again, the accommodations were neat, clean, and they had heat, running water, and warm water. On the weekends they offered a buffet breakfast in the morning for a nominal fee. They had a small store that you could buy sundry items that you may need, but have forgotten. The pricing was fair. The grounds were well kept. All in all, I was clear that Parchers was a well run facility. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to fish the area.

Fishing:

What can I say about the fishing? The fishing opportunities, are endless, and while we were there the fishing was pretty much WFO everywhere we went. We fished South Lake, Weir Pond, Treasure Lakes, the roadside stream, Lundy Lake and Conway Ranch. We did take a side trip up the other fork of the canyon to Sabrina Lake. It looked like the fishing was pretty good there too.

As I stated this trip was a trip of firsts for me personally. The firsts were as follows. First catch on the mini jig. I’ve used them before, but haven’t had any luck. First catch on the spoon, first catch on the dry fly, first brown, first golden trout, first cutthroat trout.

Over the spring time and summer I have picked up fly fishing and primarily fish the fly rod the whole trip. I did throw the mini-jig, and the spoon using the spinning setup, but I caught 70% of the fish I caught using a Black Matuka with a red body and pink body using a sinking line and stripping. I threw the dry fly up at the treasure lakes for three Golden Trout.
Conclusion:

In conclusion, every fisherman who loves the outdoors needs to treat himself to a trip to the eastern sierras. Just being in and fishing in that environment is its own reward. Never mind the fact that you’re likely to get into 50-100 fish days. I highly recommend it to anyone. It doesn’t matter what method you use, they all work and I’m no great fisherman, but all we threw were artificials with great success.

If you do go, I give my highest recommendation to Jared Smith and his staff at Parchers Resort. They make your stay a great experience. Reasonable prices with clean, neat, and comfortable accommodations.

If you have any other questions, or comments please feel free to reply. Take care and keep the lines tight and rods bent.

Which Way Out
10-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the detailed report JB.
Parchers is a great place. I am staying there next week with a small group. I just hope the storm were having right now doesn't mess it up for us. I heard maybe 10" of snow in Big Bear with it:Shocked:. So you never know what its gonna be like up in the Sierra.
I'll check with Jared as time draws closer. I am sure he's busy right now.

Like you, I picked up the fly rod a few years ago and have fished the Weir Pond with it. That place is perfect. I hope you left me some :LOL:

Thanks again
WWO

Marley
10-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Nice report on what sounds like a sweet trip! Congrats on the many firsts (and hopefully the firsts of many!!!) Love the long rod, nothing like a dry bite knowing your favorite quarry is hungry.

phishin phool
10-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Welcome to the "Sierra Addicts Club"! I have been going up since I was a kid in 6th grade (1980) and it never....ever, gets old. Your quote "In conclusion, every fisherman who loves the outdoors needs to treat himself to a trip to the eastern sierras. Just being in and fishing in that environment is its own reward. Never mind the fact that you’re likely to get into 50-100 fish days. I highly recommend it to anyone." pretty much sums it up. Congrats on the golden and cut. Thanx for the great report. C-Ya at Corona this winter. PP.

JohnnyBoy
10-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the "Sierra Addicts Club"! I have been going up since I was a kid in 6th grade (1980) and it never....ever, gets old. Your quote "In conclusion, every fisherman who loves the outdoors needs to treat himself to a trip to the eastern sierras. Just being in and fishing in that environment is its own reward. Never mind the fact that you’re likely to get into 50-100 fish days. I highly recommend it to anyone." pretty much sums it up. Congrats on the golden and cut. Thanx for the great report. C-Ya at Corona this winter. PP.

I appreciate the reply, and I've already decided that I have to get another bite at the Eastern Sierra apple and I'm going again the last week of October. Going to try my luck at the upper owens river area. I think your right, a new eastern sierra addict. And loving it. Fishing the Urban lakes just won't be the same anymore after alaska and the sierras this summer. A poor substitute. That's why they have to put bigger fish in those lakes. No one would go if they didn't.

JohnnyBoy
10-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Nice report on what sounds like a sweet trip! Congrats on the many firsts (and hopefully the firsts of many!!!) Love the long rod, nothing like a dry bite knowing your favorite quarry is hungry.

I'm heading to the upper owens before the season ends. Any info or suggestions will be gladly accepted and used.

JohnnyBoy
10-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Phishin Phool -

You have any tips are recommendations for the upper owens region you can share with me? Or anyone else experienced up there for that matter. It will be greatly appreciated and put to good use.

JohnnyBoy
10-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the detailed report JB.
Parchers is a great place. I am staying there next week with a small group. I just hope the storm were having right now doesn't mess it up for us. I heard maybe 10" of snow in Big Bear with it:Shocked:. So you never know what its gonna be like up in the Sierra.
I'll check with Jared as time draws closer. I am sure he's busy right now.

Like you, I picked up the fly rod a few years ago and have fished the Weir Pond with it. That place is perfect. I hope you left me some :LOL:

Thanks again
WWO

You can be sure of one thing. I left you plenty of fish. The whole trip we didn't keep a single fish. That's one of the things I like about the fly. Always get them in the mouth and easily release them without to much stress or handling so my fishing brethren such as yourself can enjoy them putting a bend in your rod.

Sierra_Smitty
10-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the kudos man....glad you had an enjoyable stay!!

phishin phool
10-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Honestly Johnny I've not fished it in a long time, but I know you will get some good info here. I have fished the Benton Crossing section and have had good action on nightcrawlers, grasshoppers and lures like Panther Martins and Rooster Tails but that was years ago. I know the browns should be on the chew. Are you gonna be fishing the special reg. section?
Phishin Phool -

You have any tips are recommendations for the upper owens region you can share with me? Or anyone else experienced up there for that matter. It will be greatly appreciated and put to good use.

Which Way Out
10-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Phishin Phool -

I have fished it a few times in Oct and found the Muddler minnow to work well with sinking line. Fly Fishing that is. I would put the fly in some slow water and then let the line sink and have the current draw the Muddler minnow out into the moving water near a undercut. Once I found a place near the monument area that kept me busy for an hour or so C&Ring.
Just be sure to follow the special regs. in there.
You could also try using a brass bead headed pheasant under a casting bubble as close to the bottom as you can get.
Best yet stop in Bishop or one of the shops in Mammoth and ask whats the low down. Mac's in Bishop has always been very helpful to me and you can't miss em going through town on the west side of the HWY.
Good luck and have fun.

JohnnyBoy
10-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I have fished it a few times in Oct and found the Muddler minnow to work well with sinking line. Fly Fishing that is. I would put the fly in some slow water and then let the line sink and have the current draw the Muddler minnow out into the moving water near a undercut. Once I found a place near the monument area that kept me busy for an hour or so C&Ring.
Just be sure to follow the special regs. in there.
You could also try using a brass bead headed pheasant under a casting bubble as close to the bottom as you can get.
Best yet stop in Bishop or one of the shops in Mammoth and ask whats the low down. Mac's in Bishop has always been very helpful to me and you can't miss em going through town on the west side of the HWY.
Good luck and have fun.

Thank you for the tips. I'll definitely use the muddler minnow. I have a few in my fly box. As far as fishing in special regs areas, I have no idea where they are, or even what the regs are. Because of That, I decided to hire Frank Selby, and licensed guide and experienced eastern sierra upper owens fisherman. His shop is in Costa Mesa, His & Her fly shop. Tell frank Johnnyboy told you to stop by.

JohnnyBoy
10-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I decided to hire a guide to make sure I get bit. I appreciate you input though. Yes, I've heard the browns will be on the chew hard this time of year.

JohnnyBoy
10-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Honestly Johnny I've not fished it in a long time, but I know you will get some good info here. I have fished the Benton Crossing section and have had good action on nightcrawlers, grasshoppers and lures like Panther Martins and Rooster Tails but that was years ago. I know the browns should be on the chew. Are you gonna be fishing the special reg. section?

I decided to hire a guide to make sure I get bit. I appreciate you input though. Yes, I've heard the browns will be on the chew hard this time of year.

Which Way Out
10-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Good idea JB on getting a guide that knows the in's and out's about getting fish and not being in the wrong place. Upper Owens has different regs at different times of the year as well as locations. Can be overwelming the first time there.
You might check and see if there's a Fly Fishing club near your location. I joined one near me for 2 years and learned a lot. They had trips all over Ca. and the world. I kinda sliped away from it after finding the surf fishing bug. Much closer to home.

Good luck and have fun. Fly Rod fishing is a blast.
WWO