PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T DVL Slayfest and DONT TIE TO BUOY LINE>>>>>!!!

ToadsToadsOnly
10-03-2011, 07:17 PM
My cousin Chuck came into town from Texas and been itching to go fishing with me so I decided to take him to DVL to do a striper mission and mission it was. Got to the lake backed and one of the park staffers told me the stripers are boiling around the marina I was so excited I got in the park and backed my trailer into the lake and realized I left the little thing that goes to my kill switch button (not sure what it's called. Shoot what do I do? Had a little brain storming session and I just tied a thin roped around it and it worked great! Man that was a relief.. When I get to the bottom one of the hill the boils were over and staffers told me the shad are up tight to the shore GYEA!! But...I did not bring my shad net or bait pump. Great! Loui was nice enough to drag his shad net down and lend it to me so I could scoop up some and only managed to make about 10 pieces (Thanks Loui). The shad are not thick like last year so it made it tough to net some.I decided heck lets go and do what we planned to do which was bait and wait.

I got to the buoy line to see about 25 or so other boats on the line sheesh that thing was packed found a spot and tied up (yea I tied up). We were all fishing on the buoy line having a good time a couple guys were hooking up left and right but we were not able to get a bite WTH.

In the mean while everyone on the line was keeping a look out for the PONTOON (The Dock Witch) is what you guys call her but shes just doing her job. "The weird thing is she never showed up huh..?" We continue to fish and we see a rental boat cruse up not thinking much my cousin says is that the worker? I said I don't know just look out for the pontoon. Then a couple young gentlemen and cruises up to us with a DVL shirt and say you're tied up get your ID ready your getting a ticket and continued going down the line and cited about 15 others. BUSTED!!! all of us.. A couple other guys decided to tell off the worker while the rest of us wait for them to wright us up. We all ended up getting $75 dollar tickets. I made sure this did not ruin our day because first off we are fishing at the beautiful DVL what is there to be mad about and hey stuff happens if you do the crime you pay the fine.

I know many of us have tied up on the buoy and got away with it all we have to do is look for the pontoon coming from afar untie and when she leaves retie. Lol to me honest it was almost exciting at some times its like a cat and mouse game. The reason I am posting this is I don't want any of you guys getting busted they are taking this matter serious now since the city had to come in and do some repairs on the buoy line the week prior.

On a positive note WE ENDED UP CATCHING FISH....

Metered around found the fish on the finder in 200' of water dropped like a million ft of anchor line to get to the bottom and stick. Drop 1/2 - 2 oz weight to get to the bottom with sardines and Whammo...! Slayfest !!!!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/DVL/PA020057.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/DVL/PA020054.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/DVL/PA020055.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/DVL/PA020059.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/DVL/PA020065.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/DVL/PA020070.jpg

Drop down deep guys the fish were right on the bottom of 200' for me.

Till Next Time

Go Big Or Go Home

ToadsToadsOnly

Good Luck Out There Guys..

Add me on facebook at Hunt For Big Fish

http://www.facebook.com/groups/114189495339212/

dixoncider
10-04-2011, 04:33 AM
Great info... Thanks for the report.. Screw that buoy line deal..

headcase881
10-04-2011, 07:47 AM
you guys are gonna need those quick relese clips that the moutain climbers use they have big ones that way your not tied up your cliped on

ToadsToadsOnly
10-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Great info... Thanks for the report.. Screw that buoy line deal..

Yea tell me about it... the fish were biting better on the other spot anyways.

you guys are gonna need those quick relese clips that the moutain climbers use they have big ones that way your not tied up your cliped on

Quick release clips are a good idea.. Correction I was not tied I had bungee chords that all I had to do is unhook from the line. Unfortunately I was the second boat from the edge and did not know they were patrolling in a regular rental boat so I was the second to get cited. We should of all made a dash at the same time they would'nt of been able to catch us all.

diamondbear
10-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Really good catch guys , thanks for the report and pics . On a side note to the Buoy line deal after calling the DVL marina and talking to the lk. manager , MWD is a private owned lk. and its a trespassing citation sec. 13.01 I believe he said . Its a $75.00 fine and doubles in amount if not paid in thirty days and triples in costs after 90 days . The lk. staffers can get your I.D. and info from your CF #s from your boat and if not paid will put a lean on your tax return. The bouy line has been repaired like 2 times already at the cost to MWD NOT the city . Looks like good fishing if you got long ropes and a good anchor .

TroutOnly
10-04-2011, 11:32 AM
toads there jerking you off about fixing the bouyline the mwd guys dont like people tying to it,they like the funds they generate from the tickets , which are payable to the mwd,that bouyline is in great shape and is anchored were it will never move,they like the easy tickets,,,,its better just to drop anchor and fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S/O,,,,,,,,,

HawgZWylde
10-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Yea tell me about it... the fish were biting better on the other spot anyways.

Quick release clips are a good idea.. Correction I was not tied I had bungee chords that all I had to do is unhook from the line. Unfortunately I was the second boat from the edge and did not know they were patrolling in a regular rental boat so I was the second to get cited. We should of all made a dash at the same time they would'nt of been able to catch us all.

You guys were pegged long before the "undercover" rental showed up. They eyeballed you through glasses from the road, tower, observation point, or hilltops...

huukup12
10-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Nice fatty !!! it must of been fresh sardines from our last trip....Congrats.

Surfnsnowboard3
10-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Really good catch guys , thanks for the report and pics . On a side note to the Buoy line deal after calling the DVL marina and talking to the lk. manager , MWD is a private owned lk. and its a trespassing citation sec. 13.01 I believe he said . Its a $75.00 fine and doubles in amount if not paid in thirty days and triples in costs after 90 days . The lk. staffers can get your I.D. and info from your CF #s from your boat and if not paid will put a lean on your tax return. The bouy line has been repaired like 2 times already at the cost to MWD NOT the city . Looks like good fishing if you got long ropes and a good anchor .

Did he tell you the TYPE of code? I.e. Penal code, vehicle code, municipal code)

Surfnsnowboard3
10-04-2011, 04:17 PM
I find it interesting that SOMEBODY erased my post this morning on this thread about lake employees not having the authority to cite somebody. I'm sure somebody saw it on here.....

TroutOnly
10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Thats because they dont have a sheriff at the lake any more,not since they refilled the lake,the guys may not have the authority,,,,,,,,smells a little fishy,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ToadsToadsOnly
10-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I was on the buoy line so I am not blaming it on the staff fighting the system or what not next time I will just anchor so I do not have to watch my back and worry about all the politics.

Thanks for the info.. At least the buoy ticket is not like the tickets they give at Castaic I had a buddies friend that got one there they had to pay a fine and had to take a boaters safety course. In the spring I saw so many boats on the buoy line at DVL that that the line was bowed almost to the concrete block and I realized now that they have dragged it out further so the guys do not end up slamming into the box.

toads there jerking you off about fixing the bouyline the mwd guys dont like people tying to it,they like the funds they generate from the tickets , which are payable to the mwd,that bouyline is in great shape and is anchored were it will never move,they like the easy tickets,,,,its better just to drop anchor and fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S/O,,,,,,,,,

Yea I bet they do they are trying to make money whichever way they could.

You guys were pegged long before the "undercover" rental showed up. They eyeballed you through glasses from the road, tower, observation point, or hilltops...

Yea I bet we were cited before hand I was joking about making a run for it, my motor is slow as heck anyways I would of been the first one that they caught up to lol.

Nice fatty !!! it must of been fresh sardines from our last trip....Congrats.

Yea it was caught off the sardines you guys gave us last time. Thanks again FYI I had 2 bags of sardines one of the zip locked bag was not airtight the other was the stripers only wanted the bag that was air tight.

Did he tell you the TYPE of code? I.e. Penal code, vehicle code, municipal code)

No Penal Code, vehicle code, or municipal code.

Here is a picture

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/IMAG0603.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/IMAG0602.jpg

GdHkSet1
10-04-2011, 09:39 PM
TOADS, nice TOADS!!!, Way to slay them boys...

karlow
10-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Those toads are fish well earned!
I hope they don't tack on court cost.
I'm going to buy more anchor line.
See ya in two weeks. save me a few.

KP

skunked again
10-05-2011, 04:56 AM
"We continue to fish and we see a rental boat cruse up not thinking much my cousin says is that the worker? I said I don't know just look out for the pontoon. Then a couple young gentlemen and cruises up to us with a DVL shirt and say you're tied up get your ID ready your getting a ticket and continued going down the line and cited about 15 others. BUSTED!!! all of us.. A couple other guys decided to tell off the worker while the rest of us wait for them to wright us up. We all ended up getting $75 dollar tickets."

The first time I was there they gave a warning to the people tied up. The second time they gave a (1)ticket to someone and warnings to the others tied up. The third time they also gave only (1) ticket knowing well that there were many people tied up. To cite 15 people they must be pissed. Some lakes allow you only 500 ft from the dam. I can see from the way it's going there could be some drastic measures in the future. Consider it a priviledge to be able to even fish next to the buoy line. You might as well bring your anchor rope and enjoy it while it last before they make changes. I cant see this being all about the money.

diamondbear
10-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Surfnbrd3. , Your post your looking for is under Skunked Again [ wifes PB ] THREAD , NO ONE DELETED IT . It just seems kinda hard to think that a lk. staffer could legally write a citation to anyone ? I saw that broken cable earlier in the spring also and the bouys were like 20 ft. away from the towers . Sure glad Iam a troller , ha

stocker
10-06-2011, 08:21 PM
I'll take a 75 dollar buoy line ticket over the nicked prop blades b.s. that DVL thrives upon--the prop is supposedly composed of 3 separate blades on their rentals and 15 bucks charged per "damaged" blade.

Wingnut
10-06-2011, 09:08 PM
I find it interesting that SOMEBODY erased my post this morning on this thread about lake employees not having the authority to cite somebody. I'm sure somebody saw it on here.....

NOBODY deleted your thread... :Rolls Eyes:

Wingnut
10-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Sweet Striper slaying session Jonathan. You're on top of your game bro. :Thumbs Up:
Let's hit the surf soon... :Wink:

jerryG
10-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Nice haul Jonathan. I knew you would find the fish regardless if you went to Castiac or DVL I wish I could have joined you guys today. A family commitment kept off the water. Definitely a much better grade of fish at DVL looks like you made the right call on going there instead of Castiac. None the less it’s a tough decision when the fish are boiling at Castiac..

Hmmm…Deep water bait and wait for big fish? Or
Running and gunning boils for wide open top water action on smaller fish?

I have known Toads ToadsOnly for years and as long as I have known him in situations like this he ALWAYS arrives at the same conclusion. GO BIG OR GO HOME.. One of the many things I have learned from fishing with Toads over the years is IT ALWAYS PAYS TO GO BIG.

Also just a consideration guys, for anchoring at the towers if there is no wind or if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction you will likely need a second anchor for your stern to maintain a parallel position with the buoy line. Otherwise you will swing on the anchor.

CALLING (T/O)- Bob I hope you are doing very well my friend. Hopefully you have been doing a lot of fishing. I know one thing for sure if you been fishing, you been slaying…Now that's how Uncle Bob rolls. Are you coming to the surf event? Regardless you should come out and hit the surf with us sometime. It would be great to fish you again my friend. Next we fish I might have to take some notes. You have a wealth of fish catching knowledge that very few Slayers will ever know and can only come as a result of a life time on the water. Lots of good fish catching intel.

JerryG

TroutOnly
10-07-2011, 03:41 PM
HEY GERRY WHAT ARE TALKING ABOUT IS THERE FISHING FOR GIANTS EVENT COMING,IF SO IM THERE ,CHASING THE SAND CRABS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,

yolo
10-08-2011, 04:35 AM
Here is a picture

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/IMAG0603.jpg

Somebody teach them to at least spell buoy correctly if they are so concerned about them? LOL.

Which Way Out
10-08-2011, 08:20 AM
From my dusty hat rack I always heard that to write a citation that included collection of fee's, the person writing said citation had to have a valid PC-832 certificate or be a law enforcement officer of some kind. I know things change, but in this case you might be able to fight this in court. Did the citation have a appear in court date on it somewhere? If not there's a good chance its not valid. Even a dog catcher has to have the certificate to issue a citation that collects fees.

These guy's may have the required certificates. It's not something you can't get unless you put in the hours at a community college class.
Not trying to raise cane here, just don't like bullies much.
Just stay off the buoys I guess.

Try this next time you are out there.. Stop and get a remote control toy boat(electric). Set your Bait and Weight on it. Free spool the reel and then run the boat out to where you want to fish. Stop the line as the boat is still moving and its bait overboard. Run the boat back and repeat as needed....:Wink:

EDIT- Sunday the 9th.

I was looking in the fishing regs. book yesterday and there is a section about using computer controlled fishing devices and it had me concerned about my suggestion of using a remote controlled boat. Of course its not a computer controlled, but radio controlled. Splitting hairs for sure. Maybe we can get someone in F&G to clear it up. I will check into it and get back if I find anything that will clear the smoke.

Surfnsnowboard3
10-08-2011, 01:43 PM
From my dusty hat rack I always heard that to write a citation that included collection of fee's, the person writing said citation had to have a valid PC-832 certificate or be a law enforcement officer of some kind. I know things change, but in this case you might be able to fight this in court. Did the citation have a appear in court date on it somewhere? If not there's a good chance its not valid. Even a dog catcher has to have the certificate to issue a citation that collects fees.

These guy's may have the required certificates. It's not something you can't get unless you put in the hours at a community college class.

Try this next time you are out there.. Stop and get a remote control toy boat(electric). Set your Bait and Weight on it. Free spool the reel and then run the boat out to where you want to fish. Stop the line as the boat is still moving and its bait overboard. Run the boat back and repeat as needed....:Wink:

You are 100% right. These guys have no authority to issue a citation. I would fight it in court. Furthermore, no one has said what code is being used for this section of "Tying to a buoy line." I would like to hear the section (penal code, municipal code, WHAT?). Anybody?

cutbait
10-08-2011, 02:18 PM
While I agree fighting this or just flat out ignoring it may result in nothing ever happening.

I do caution that since it is MWD run, you'd be likely on an exclude list or blacklisted from the lake.

I work for a water dist. and we do fine our customers for violations, sure they don't pay sometimes.

No further actions are taken, but we take note and future service is not granted until fine is paid.

Ofcourse we're talking different agencies, but I'm sure there is a similar outcome

30lber
10-08-2011, 08:45 PM
I would of just stay tied to the bouy since they wrote up a ticket.
Heck..your paying 75.00 buck...Stay!!!

I was there the past two days tied to the bouy and noticed
there first patrol (showing up on a toon) was about 9:30 am.
There was about 20 boats. Lol
everyone ran off.lol

ToadsToadsOnly
10-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Those toads are fish well earned!
I hope they don't tack on court cost.
I'm going to buy more anchor line.
See ya in two weeks. save me a few.

KP

Its like a parking ticket its a flat $75 bucks no additional fee's I believe. Good luck in out there next week.

Sweet Striper slaying session Jonathan. You're on top of your game bro. :Thumbs Up:
Let's hit the surf soon... :Wink:

Thanks man yea we do need to hit the surf soon. Let me know when you guys are going out I have some free time the next couple weeks only need to be in the office a couple days I could do most of my work needed to be done on my phone.

Nice haul Jonathan. I knew you would find the fish regardless if you went to Castiac or DVL I wish I could have joined you guys today. A family commitment kept off the water. Definitely a much better grade of fish at DVL looks like you made the right call on going there instead of Castiac. None the less it’s a tough decision when the fish are boiling at Castiac..

Hmmm…Deep water bait and wait for big fish? Or
Running and gunning boils for wide open top water action on smaller fish?

I have known Toads ToadsOnly for years and as long as I have known him in situations like this he ALWAYS arrives at the same conclusion. GO BIG OR GO HOME.. One of the many things I have learned from fishing with Toads over the years is IT ALWAYS PAYS TO GO BIG.

Also just a consideration guys, for anchoring at the towers if there is no wind or if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction you will likely need a second anchor for your stern to maintain a parallel position with the buoy line. Otherwise you will swing on the anchor.

CALLING (T/O)- Bob I hope you are doing very well my friend. Hopefully you have been doing a lot of fishing. I know one thing for sure if you been fishing, you been slaying…Now that's how Uncle Bob rolls. Are you coming to the surf event? Regardless you should come out and hit the surf with us sometime. It would be great to fish you again my friend. Next we fish I might have to take some notes. You have a wealth of fish catching knowledge that very few Slayers will ever know and can only come as a result of a life time on the water. Lots of good fish catching intel.

JerryG

Thanks Jerry for the compliments ill plan another trip this week so we could get out and slay those Jailbirds. I was pretty torn on which lake to fish but DVL does not disappoint me and I gotta stick to my motto "Go Big Or Go Home" Castaic and boiling fish is awesome but... DVL puts out quality fish so... DVL it was.

EDIT- Sunday the 9th.

I was looking in the fishing regs. book yesterday and there is a section about using computer controlled fishing devices and it had me concerned about my suggestion of using a remote controlled boat. Of course its not a computer controlled, but radio controlled. Splitting hairs for sure. Maybe we can get someone in F&G to clear it up. I will check into it and get back if I find anything that will clear the smoke.

Good point I pulled out the ticket and realized you are correct the issuing officer did not have a badge number of any sort to identify who he was, the citation also did not have a violation code that states that I have violated any laws by tying to the Buoy line, and it does not show a court or place I could go to fight the ticket. One thing it does say is "You may request an investigative review of this notice by filing a review forum (avaliable at the address noted below, or from the issuing officer) within 21 days from the date of this notice" So I could write a letter to appeal the citation.

I guess I am going to file for a review forum Its not about the $75 bucks I just want to see where this will go. I will keep you guys updated in the process.

While I agree fighting this or just flat out ignoring it may result in nothing ever happening.

I do caution that since it is MWD run, you'd be likely on an exclude list or blacklisted from the lake.

I work for a water dist. and we do fine our customers for violations, sure they don't pay sometimes.

No further actions are taken, but we take note and future service is not granted until fine is paid.

Ofcourse we're talking different agencies, but I'm sure there is a similar outcome

One of the other guys on the buoy told the guy "F*** You I am not going to give you my ID" the MWD guy proceeded to call the main office and told them to ban the guy from the lake and wrote down his CF #. The guy then took off to another spot to fish. Later I guess he had a change of heart and went back to the rental boat that the MWD guy was on I am not sure what happen afterwards.

ToadsToadsOnly
10-09-2011, 11:20 AM
S.W.A.T Does it again freshwater style…BONUS REPORT

I will keep this one brief and let the pictures do the talking. I was motivated by Gerald to go pick up some lead core to try the trolling some flies so I spent a couple hours in the morning learning how to troll lead core. I stuck a couple fish on the lead core setup but my buddy Danny was left hanging since he did not have any. So off to the bait and wait grounds.

Anchored up in 180'

Bait: Sardine's

6 lb line

Big fish are on the bottom schoolies are up higher in the water column biting the flyline.

Saw MOON out there nice seeing you Jeff.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/DVL/PA070080.jpg

Dannys PB Stripers 2x over.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/DVL/PA070078.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/DVL/PA070077.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/DVL/PA070082.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/DVL/PA070091.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/DVL/PA070088.jpg

My uncle decides to jump in the picture so he could have pictures with the fish.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/DVL/PA070085.jpg

They are still biting guys

Go Get Em!

Jailbirds want to die!

ToadsToadsOnly

Until next time

Go Big Or Go Home

Add my group on FaceBook

Hunt For Big Fish

http://www.facebook.com/groups/114189495339212/

Which Way Out
10-09-2011, 08:09 PM
You guys sure took those Jailbirds to the death chamber.

Great follow up report

River Monster
10-17-2011, 01:14 AM
Last time I was there, I used another method to keep the boat in the area. I simply threw the anchor and rope over the other side of the buoy line because there was no way the rental boat anchor is long enough to reach bottom. Would this be considered tying it?