PDA

View Full Version : Tilapia

ityperx
10-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Anyone know if there's any in Lincoln Park? I went there a few months ago during the summer and saw two palm size floating dead near the school. Wished I took a pic, the fish was intact. It didn't look like it was eaten by someone then tossed in to the lake. Thinking of dropping by there this week since dfg is slated for stocking. Plan on catching and releasing them, IF I catch'em...

Ifishtoolittle
10-03-2011, 02:46 PM
I'd assume that almost any city park lake near an Asian Market would have tilapia in it. If the lake is somewhat deep, has a lot of vegetation, and is not to crappy on the oxygen content then the fish will thrive. With the days getting colder and shorter these fish will be harder to catch as they are most active and aggressive during the warmer months.

ityperx
10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
You might be right there. I've seen a few asian markets around the area. However, how often are tilapias sold palm size? Guess someone felt the need to personally stock the lake.

Ifishtoolittle
10-05-2011, 11:31 PM
You might be right there. I've seen a few asian markets around the area. However, how often are tilapias sold palm size? Guess someone felt the need to personally stock the lake.

Well it's not necessarily a bad thing. Tilapias keep weed growth under control, they are high in protein for the LMBs, and most don't survive that well in colder water.