PDA

View Full Version : Tradition Cod and Sculpin 10/2/11

Jackpot Jimmy
10-02-2011, 08:56 PM
We headed out of the harbor Sunday morning, greeted by calm winds and almost calm conditions. Captain Steven informed us that the water had dropped along the kelp line, so we would be fishing rockfish and sculpin for the better part of the day, and trying for some structure bass in the afternoon.

I was eager to try a new set up – Curado E7 with a Crucial 711H, loaded with 40 pound power pro and a 25 pound test top shot. I rigged up with a single dropper loop and a torpedo sinker as I’ve found that you have a better chance of getting reds or bigger rockfish with the single dropper loop, especially this time of the year.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/002-77.jpg

We made several drifts throughout the morning covering pretty big areas. We caught some really nice honeycombs and starries (those don’t get too big but they were nice for the species), with a few medium sized reds here and there. The bites I was getting on my new set up were pretty violent which I liked as it maximized the fight, unlike fishing straight mono. I caught maybe six to ten of these honeycombs, starries, and a couple reds along with a nice rock sole.

Around noon we headed inside a little bit to fish some sculpin. We picked through a few shorts but the legals that came up were nice ones. I found that sometimes the sculpin would get picky on old squid, so I would replace the squid after catching one and drop back down. This worked pretty well for me for a limit of quality sculpin. I also recommend fishing a torpedo sinker with a leadhead/plastic combo on a dropper loop so you can get to the bottom faster, and put the loop at the same level as the sinker as sculpin cannot come up off the bottom.

After picking some nice sculpin we headed up the beach a bit to try for some bass. Bass fishing was pretty slow except for a couple short calicos. I don’t know if the slow bass fishing has to do with the recent passing through of jumbo squid – probably not as the Highliner had a pretty good day on the bass, but they had live squid, which they passed along to us for Monday’s fishing – thank you Gary! Once again, for these structure bass, it’s imperative to keep your offering right in the structure – that’s where the bass live! Especially with the cooler water, they are hunkered down in the structure and rarely suspend (except for calicos in some cases).

Not a bad day overall, but I guess there’s a storm coming, and I hope it doesn’t put a damper on fishing, and I hope bass fishing will pick up after it passes through. Stay tuned…

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/001-83.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/002-76.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/003-81.jpg

Ifishtoolittle
10-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Oh man rockfishing with bass gear had to have been a blast! Also, is it really that time of year already? Structure bass fishing? I really miss summertime flats fishing lol.

JapanRon
10-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

As always nice report. Glad you're doing the Bass-gear approach to Rockfishing more and more ....as you know I've been doing for years now and I predict you will get hopelessly addicted this Winter. You watch and see !! You're braver than I am on the levelwinders. I feel I'm pushing the envelope with my Ambassaduer 5500's to 6500 C3's sizes, (w/Bass flippin' sticks, and 30lb PowerPro, phantom red). Even the 6 to 1 on the waaay large spool depth of my gear means lots of cranking. I'd estimate that my backing on my spools takes up 80% of the spool while the 270~290 feet of braid take 20% when the spool is topped off to the rim.

Some levelwind reels I've watched guys use.... with their really small spools and as a matter of fact where most of the line goes out to nearly the arbor at 225 or 250 feet..... the 6 to 1 ratio in actuality is way, way down to a point of maybe 1/4 of the line coming in with each crank. Trying to get some regulars who've started fishing gear like mine, and even plastics sometimes, to get power handles on their reels. Some of these hard-heads resist this even after I MAKE (don't laugh) them reel in my outfit after a cast and they can see the difference. ha ha ha Oh well .... they've still come a long way using the Ambassaduers and PowerPro. I'd have never guessed some of these guys would take on the challenge !! But they did and they outfi ... er .... outcatch me !!

Folks are so surprised when I can get down and STAY with a Carolina /Swimmie Rig totaling 3.5 to 4.5 ounces to 300 ft and no current ,when they have to use 6 or 8 ounces with mono or 50lb + braid !!

Please continue to give us yours, and surely others who see you fish lite, techniques on the SMB fishery.

JapanRon

Ifishtoolittle
10-03-2011, 06:02 PM
It's always way more fun to fish with bass gear, but when it comes to rockfishing on heavier loads it's nearly impossible. All those darn tangles make fishing braid a dangerous proposition.

Jackpot Jimmy
10-03-2011, 07:36 PM
It's always way more fun to fish with bass gear, but when it comes to rockfishing on heavier loads it's nearly impossible. All those darn tangles make fishing braid a dangerous proposition.

Unless it's a very light load I always fish the bow ... but sometimes there's always the guy who's fishing on the wrong side for the drift or insisting on being in freespool. But usually fishing on the bow and keeping track of where my line is minimizes tangles.

JapanRon
10-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Hi Ifishtoolittle,

I'm kinda lucky as my club goes every week early and we get the starborad stern corner and corner~ish spots to fish side by side 6 folks abrest. Boat is not packed with maybe 35 folks on a 70 footer at the most. Most fish bait and me plastics but ALL of us use braid !! We rarely tangle. Less than the yahoos near the bow (no not you Jackpot Jimmy ha ha ha) that let their lines drift (w/lite weights)down mid-ship, under the boat, or worse !! :) In the last four trips ... I've brushed and tangled my rail-buddies line ... with only my leader wrapping his line at near the surface .... in which it took 20 seconds to un-twirl. (In 6 months .... 3 or 4 times) What is ALL of ours' secret ? We watch our &$%#* line every second and through experience anticipate what the effect is on our bait of the boat with the given current, wind, and wave directions ! Soooo many folks don't watch, are clueless, and or just don't care about the consequences of their actions have when fishing. If they drove like they tended their line and bait, they'd never get to the landing !! I cringe when I hear some joker just happily quip .... that tangles are a common and inevitable element in fishing !! I say BS !!

Fishing with other folks .... I still use braid but my strategy is to ..... adjust my fishing to thier fishing. If I have to shorten my time on the bottom ..... so be it I reel up early to avoid tangles. If I have to wait for the boat to swing to avoid an obvious problem ...... so be it, I wait ! If I have to cast past and then drift into what I think is the zone ..... so be it .. I cast out of range. If I know it's better to let someone drop down first ...... so be it ! In other words .... braid requires finesse and patience .... and a tad of luck to escape a tangle during the day. Anybody else use these tactics ?!

I agree with you on the drift ..... why don't people on the stern go to whichever side the drift can be fished. Me I stay right where I am usually because I'm on the starboard stern corner and that's the last frickin' spot that anyone should be able to fish on the starbord side. Right ?? Still some idiots what to drop their lines while standing in the middle of the stern or .......at the port stern corner !! Morons !!

Anywho ..... please understand ... no attack on you or your statement (spot on about heavier loads if we're talking over 40 or so) just a good time to rant a tad on the coming months probable fishing experience, and put out some ideas on strategy to the uninitiated. I might sqwak here a lot but on the boat .... I'm pretty much a happy character ..... as I use the above stratey.

Maybe no fishing for me tomorrow w/50mph winds gusting 60mph !!

Until your next trip and report,

JapanRon

jerryG
10-08-2011, 02:06 AM
I rigged up with a single dropper loop and a torpedo sinker as I’ve found that you have a better chance of getting reds or bigger rockfish with the single dropper loop, especially this time of the year.

x2...

You can add lings to the list as well. I learned this trick many years ago and it's timeless. It just flat out produces larger cod. For the times when I do rig the weight on the bottom for for fishing deeper water I never use more than 2 hooks and always us Looong leaders off the main line so the bait can swim. The longer leader produces larger cod when fishing deep. That's good info Jimmy..

JerryG