PDA

View Full Version : Pole rec.

wackyrigged
10-02-2011, 11:36 AM
I just got a used Penn 309 level wind. What is this good for and what pole should I buy for it? Kinda a newb on saltwater big game fishing so any help is much appreciated thanks.

brad1
10-02-2011, 12:11 PM
It more or less depends on what kind of fish you are going for..

CraigH
10-02-2011, 12:25 PM
The 309 is an "old school" level wind, designed for bottom fishing or trolling. Definitely not a casting reel. The rod choice would depend on whether you are using it to bottom / rock fish in salt water or for trolling lead core line in freshwater.

wackyrigged
10-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the help :Cool: yeah I was thinking bottom rockfishing maybe also for halibut? I should get a shorter pole? and rated for what 40 -60 pound test line?

Nessie Hunter
10-03-2011, 07:05 AM
If your going to fish 20# to 25# on the Reel, you will need a "Rod" That is rated in the center of that.
Say a 15# 30# "Rod"....
You need a rod that will cushion the line, or get a lot of broken line if a fish actually pulls back...
A 40 to 60 rod will be to heavy/stiff and not give you any cushion....

I assume that rock fishing & Halibut, you would be using 20# to 25# line at most????

that Reel will only put out about 8# of drag....
You need a rod that will start a good flex and help cushion in that range....

I would also recommend a pre-use 'service' for any used Reel.. Could save a lot of headaches...
Especially a Saltwater Reel thats been used in the Salt.. Lot of deposites and corrosion can/will build up, then you have very sticky or non functioning drags, bearings, bushings, level wind, anti reverse etc etc.

DarkShadow
10-03-2011, 08:44 AM
If your going to fish 20# to 25# on the Reel, you will need a "Rod" That is rated in the center of that.
Say a 15# 30# "Rod"....
You need a rod that will cushion the line, or get a lot of broken line if a fish actually pulls back...
A 40 to 60 rod will be to heavy/stiff and not give you any cushion....

I assume that rock fishing & Halibut, you would be using 20# to 25# line at most????

that Reel will only put out about 8# of drag....
You need a rod that will start a good flex and help cushion in that range....

I would also recommend a pre-use 'service' for any used Reel.. Could save a lot of headaches...
Especially a Saltwater Reel thats been used in the Salt.. Lot of deposites and corrosion can/will build up, then you have very sticky or non functioning drags, bearings, bushings, level wind, anti reverse etc etc.

you sure know a lot about poles.

Nessie Hunter
10-03-2011, 10:25 AM
you sure know a lot about poles.

I exotic dance as a side job..... :-)