PDA

View Full Version : Lake San Antonio report

plumbertom
10-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Wednesday afternoon I got to the lake picked out a nice shady spot near the shower house at Harris Creek campground.
Got my tent set up uncovered the boat and got it ready to go. Had some dinner and kicked back to wait for the morning.
Launched my boat at first light and ran across the the lake to the Chalk Cliffs/Three fingers area and started to troll in about 50' of water. I was metering big bait balls and even seeing some shad on the surface.
After about 1/2 hour of trolling a striper boil came up right next to my boat.
I grabbed my casting rid and whipped a 3/4oz. Castmaster across the boil and started haulling back in when the rod loaded up heavy. I gave a good jerk to bury the hooks and my reel starts screaming as the fish take a solid run. I let the fish run until he stopped and started working him back to the boat.
While this is going on other boats are pulling up on the still on going boil and guys start casting into it.
Now, I'm no opposed to sharing a good bite but some of those guys were casting across my line with a hooked fish just bending the heck out of my rod. But as luck would have it they are mostly tossing top water lures and my fish is only making the occasional run to the surface, mostly it's running deep.
So after a few more drag burning runs I finally get him worn out and up to the boat. You Know I forgot to take my net so i got down on my knees and reached over the side of the boat and grabbed his lower lip, only to haul up a striper about 8-10 Lbs and healthy looking, none of those skinny fish like at Pyramid.
So I get my fish and the biol has stopped so back to the troll for a while. 15 minutes later gust a 150 yards ahead I see another boil start up. I jammed my throttle and ran up within casting distance and turned sideways on the slide. Out goes the Castmaster and bang another solid take.
It was almost an exact repeat of the first fish right down to the size. Looked like I had a set of twins in my live well.
Anyway after more boils a couple of fish coming unbuttoned and another fish the sun was coming out and the stripers headed back to deep water. I went back to the launch and took my out and cleaned my fish.
Tried again in the afternoon but nothing happened.
Next morning was a repeat of the previous day But I only boated two fish.
Saturday I tried for a couple hours but found no boils and no takers on the troll, so I pulled out the boat, packed my camp and headed for home.
Total for three mornings on the water, 5 stripers total weight between 35 & 40 lbs total weight. About 15 lbs of filets.
Guess I'll smoke some fish Monday.
Sorry no pics. I hunted for an hour or more before leaving trying to find a camera with no luck.

Met Trout Only (Bob) at the lake Launch ramp and after a bit on conversation we agreed that San Antonio is fast on it way to becoming the best Striped bass lake on the west coast.

Interesting side story. I was kicking back in my chair eating some Frito's and salsa when I feel something lightly touch my elbow. I turned to look and there stands a little doe waiting for me to share the corn chips. I had the whole camp ground to myself at least for a couple hundred yards and the deer were running around like squirrels. So I gave her a few chips ans she even was taking them right from my hand. She seemed to like them with the salsa.
In addition to the deer, including several fork horns, I also had quail running through the camp and 17 turkeys walked right past while I was sitting and enjoying the fine weather.
It's is a park so all those wild animals think they are pets I guess.

cutbait
10-02-2011, 09:46 AM
PICS PICS and more PICS!!!

San Antonio HAS been the best lake on west coast!!!!

Cool slay with the KastMaster. Trailblazer will be proud

plumbertom
10-02-2011, 10:06 AM
PICS PICS and more PICS!!!

San Antonio HAS been the best lake on west coast!!!!

Cool slay with the KastMaster. Trailblazer will be proud
No S#!T. My GF tossed my Cannon off the back of my Harley trying to take a picture of wild flowers while going 75 MPH on I-5 over Tejon pass. I haven't replaced it and couldn't find my daughter or grand-daughters camera to take with me when I left.

TroutOnly
10-02-2011, 10:31 AM
nice meeting you tom,we got troll action at the north end of the lake we just had too many farm jobs. i liked what you told me about youre mom slaying a monster striper up there,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

trail blazer
10-02-2011, 01:30 PM
ooooooooYAAAAAAAAAAAA

KASTMASTER KILLIN at the SAN TONE,,,,,,

BE THERE IN A CPL WEEKS MYSELF,,,,,,,,Cant wait!

TRAIL BLAZER