PDA

View Full Version : June Loop and Convict troll trip 9/22-25

JAG107
10-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Took the Trophy up to the Loop last week for some troll action. Got a few thumbs up but mostly got asked "where the hell do you launch THAT big thing?" I tell ya, it was no problem getting into any of the Loop lakes (didn't try Gull though) or Convict. 17'-7" ain't so big, is it? :)
Anyway, after setting up camp at Silver Lake CG (pretty nice, BTW and right there along Rush), launched into Silver for a couple hours Thurs eve. Whacked one on a red/gold speedy shiner downrigged 40', then another on Seps mini flashers/ gulp pinched crawler. Let me say right now that 90% or so of my fish came on this combo, I ran through 2 jars. Stuff's awesome.
Overall, bite was fair to slow pretty much everywhere. Granted I started late (9am) every day (had the wife & 2 year old in tow), but most people thought it was slow too. Saw a couple Alpers caught from shore at Silver, but everyone else's stringers had sub-13 inchers on them.
Friday was Grant day. Love that lake! Only boat on the water most of the day. I trolled the main body pretty much north and east of the dock, and found huge schools suspended at 45-50' in over 70' of water. Surface temp was 60-61.
Managed a limit in 5 hours, all fish on the seps combo. Had LOTS of line out to offset the racket from the motor, and these fish were so small they wouldn't release from the clip! I spent a lot of time messing with the adjustment, but too loose and it would pop out on the drop, so I had to find a happy medium.
Saturday went to June. OK, I was NOT expecting to pay FIFTEEN BUCKS to launch at ANY lake up there (cept Crowley, I know about their $20 fee). I bit the bullet and away we went. SO MANY FISH located in 120 feet of water, all mostly suspended below 70'. Took me a couple hours to get the first one, but it was worth it--my first Cutt! All 11 inches of it. Got 4 more bows, and called it a day after the winds got crazy and got a classic thundershower (Biminis are nice for those!). Took a nap and went to Silver for a little over an hour in the evening, and that bite got pretty good. Nailed 5 in an hour, by far the best action of the trip. Got a beautiful 9" brown on the flasher combo, then got 2 on the frog pattern buyant spoon toplined.
Sunday we packed up and spent a couple hours at Convict. White cap conditions for the first 90 mins, was such a strong headwind I had to leave the trolling plate up on the motor. Only a few people fishing the south inlets, I was the only active boat on the lake. Got 3 here at the end of the 2 hrs, let em go and hit the road. Thanks for reading, and CPR those exotics everybody!