PDA

View Full Version : Ventura 9/30/11 report

caliranger10
10-01-2011, 03:04 PM
well i got some good advice from some fellow fnn'ers and decided to try it out so i woke up at 415 am and drove out the 126 to ventura to do a lil surf fishing. When i arrived at around 615 am it was very overcast and the tide was low. so i tied on the old hammer tail and went to work, about an hour went by with tons of hits and finally hooked up!!! i start reeling in and the fish started pulling line fast, i had forgotten to tighten my drag back up... :( went to adjust it real quick and just enough slack, fish was off the line :( so i checked my lure made sure all my gear was good than began walking the beach feather casting. there was absolutely nobody out there. after about another hour of nothing but salad i hooked up again!!! this time i wasn lettin anything go, i muscled in my very first bat ray!!!! hooked it right through the nose. VERY COOL!!! i was surprised, it was a lil bigger than a large dinner plate but it was tugging hard on my bait caster....unhooked the fish took a quick picture and released it back into the surf...by that time it was around 1130 am tide was pretty high and i was pulling up nothing but salad so i decided to take my lunch break. Posted up with my back to a rock took off my shirt and lived the cali dream for a while...maybe a lil too long, i passed out after the sandwich and woke up an hour later absolutely fried :Crying: i decided i was done for the day so i packed it in and drove home3320333204

tree
10-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Nice job! How did the bat ray fight? did it go on crazy runs?

murrieta angler
10-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Yee Haw, Fried Ranger!!!!
Good job getting rid of the skunk.
Robert
<><

Nipple Twister
10-01-2011, 06:45 PM
........you are doing it right, just gotta keep doing it :Thumbs Up:

Nice job and thanks for sharing.....sorry 'bout the sunburn :Surprised:

...if you ever find yourself down this way ..............:Wink:

caliranger10
10-02-2011, 11:52 AM
thanks guys, i was drop shoting that zoom fluke for a while but after catching that ray its hard to put the bait caster down lol my faith in surf fishing was renewed a lil :) @tree- the ray went on one good run but it wasn't very big, only the size of a dinner plate or maybe a lil bigger, i hooked up with it about 15 feet in front of me quick reeling the bait in to recast so it only took me about a minute to pull it on the sand

ordane
10-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Awesome catch! They do put up a nice fight huh!!

JapanRon
10-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Hi caliranger10,

All that experience will pay off .......

JapanRon

caliranger10
10-03-2011, 12:32 PM
ya im hopin lol its expensive drivin all the way out to the ocean every weekend but when your actually catchin fish its well worth it

man0fsteel
10-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Maybe we should have a contest to see who can catch the smallest bat ray.:LOL:

The one I caught earlier this summer surprised me...it was tiny! But they look exactly like their bigger brethren. Nothing like catching something cool from the surf...esp when you have a long drive.

Always remember the sunscreen...even when it's cloudy.

caliranger10
10-04-2011, 01:38 PM
haha i know right i was actually surprised, I've never felt anything on the line quite like that, like a striper tugs, a catfish roles, but that little betray idk its almost like you could feel it flapping or something. and i had sunblock but my a hole brother went to the lake the weekend before and stole it out of my ocean tackle pack and neglected to put it back but its all good now i have a pretty nice tan hahaha