PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing Newport Beach 10/1

tree
10-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Hey! Woke up @ 6:00, got out onto the water @ 7:00. Started out just fan casting through the surf as the sun started to get higher in the sky. Found a nice spot where the water kept funneling out toward the ocean beneath the waves that were pushing in.

Water was fairly clear, red tide wasnt too bad where I was. I heard from someone else that further up the beach on the north side of Newport Pier was pretty bad.

Caught 2 Shovelnose guitarfish, the second one larger than the first. Both were CPR.
The second guitarfish (first one in photos) fought hard! It took one screaming first run, then as i put a lot more pressure on him, he took off again and wedged himself somewhere. I let off a bit of pressure, and back out he came and I brought him all the way up.

Caught 1 yellowfin croaker.

All caught on the LuckyCraft FM110.

edit: oh, i kept feeling something brush up against my feet during the longer lulls in the waves. any ideas on what it might be? had me scared for a while but i didnt see anything, and didnt step on any stingrays.

SeapointFlyGuy
10-01-2011, 01:43 PM
oh, i kept feeling something brush up against my feet during the longer lulls in the waves. any ideas on what it might be?

My guess is stingrays. They don't usually sting unless stepped on. Shuffle those feet!

tree
10-01-2011, 02:44 PM
My guess is stingrays. They don't usually sting unless stepped on. Shuffle those feet!

I was shuffling the whoooooole time. I was careful because a local beachjogger who stopped to see the first guitarfish mentioned that there were a lot of smaller stingrays last week.

edit: OH! I forgot to mention there were dolphins jumping right offshore. reallly close! didnt need binocs to see them clearly at all. they were putting on a show up and down my stretch of the beach. I wonder if that had anything to do with my fishing success :P

either way, i see them as good omens of fish now :D

murrieta angler
10-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Good job out there Tree,
You can get some cheap water shoes at Wal-Mart for like $4-$5.
Robert
<><

tree
10-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Good job out there Tree,
You can get some cheap water shoes at Wal-Mart for like $4-$5.
Robert
<><
Thanks! I'll go check out some wader shoes, but i prefer just the plain sand between my toes. i dont mind doing the stingray shuffle.

smokehound
10-07-2011, 01:28 PM
It's most likely a thornback or shovelnose, these things bump into me all the time. Also could have been a batray, those are way more common in the surf than round stingrays.

Once, a batray swam up, and just parked itself right on my foot.