PDA

View Full Version : June Loop & Mammoth 9-22thru26

phishin phool
09-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Headed up after work on thurs and I couldn't believe how crowded it was, :Shocked:I couldn't find a campsite at Gull or Reverse campgrounds, so I had to settle with June Lake CG.....not to bad. All fishing was done from float tube. I dont have many fish pics since mainly all I caught were stockers and we all know what they look like.

Fri AM: Fished Gull from 6:30 till 11 and caught around 25-30 stockers, nothing special but lots of fun. Baits used, powerworms in orange & pink, gold Kastmaster and grasshopper and cricket colored mini-jigs, with orange pw's the most productive. All fish released.
Fri afternoon:Fished Rush Creek for 4 nice rainbows and one smallish brown. Caught bows on natual color Gulp worms and brownie on gold panther martin. Kept 4 bows for dinner.
Fri PM: Fished Silver Lake
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k582/teryherm1/2011-09-23_15-30-39_754-3.jpg

Launched at the parking area on the so. western side and cruised the west shore back and forth for non-stop action, caught about 30+ easy:EyePop:. Used powerworms, kastmasters and nightcrawlers under a bubble. All fish were smallish stockers, bummer cuz was hopin for some brownies, still lots of fun. All fish released.
Sat AmFished June for the first time, I've been going up to the loop since 1980 and never fished June so I gave it a try. Launched at Big Rock Marina ($5:Confused:launch fee) and cruised between big rock and the reeds at west end. This was the slowest of all the spots I fished this trip, I only caught around 15 bows and this thing...........:???:
I had no idea what it was so I asked the gal at the marina, she said it was a chub.......and I should have killed it. :Smash: Used the same baits, pw's, kastmasters, jigs, and nightcrawlers.

Headed to Mammoth and stayed at Motel 6, very clean and reasonable but a little noisy.

Sat PM: Fished Lake Mamie for first time,
I was really suprised at how shallow this lake is. I use a sonar and couldn't find a spot deeper than 10'. Anyway found really good action here as long as you kept your offering off the bottom. I used grasshopper and cricket colored jigs, gold and red Thomas Bouyants and powerworms under a bubble. Fished for about 3 1/2 hrs for an easy 25+ small bows and then it started to rain. Well I decided I wanted to stick it out cuz I heard they stocked some Alpers and really wanted to catch something bigger than a pound. Next thing I know, its starts hailing:EyePop:....and I mean really, really hailing and I'm thinkin I made the wrong decision!! Well after about 15 minutes of intense weather it breaks and the fishing really goes off, within 5 minutes of eachother I get the Alpers I wanted:Dancing Banana:
Both were about 3lbs and I kept them and the smaller ones cuz they were in bad shape. Awesome and beautiful little lake.
Sun AM: Headed up to Mary and found it too windy so I tried all the lakes and it was just a little too windy for a tube :Sad:so I just chilled for the day at motel and watched Nascar and football.
Sun PM: Headed to Mary and found the wind not too bad so I launched near the George inlet and cruised western shore for some more nonstop action on stockers, mostly all under a pound, but once again........lots of fun. Usual baits. I was the last one on the lake, pretty cool.
I was planning on heading to Smittys area and stay in Bishop mon. and tues. but I woke up sicker than a dog and decided to head home:Crying:. Bummer it has been a long time since I haven't fished there at least once during the regular season. Well there is always next year.......God Willing.:Smile:
Except for the one aftenoon at Maime, weather was perfect and the fishing was unfrigginbelievable, number one bait this trip.....orange powerworms, without a doubt.
I am hopin to get up one more time and hit up the east walker, Rush, Grant and maybe Bridgeport rez, for some late season brownies but we'll see.
Another awesome sierra experience. Peace:Beer Toast:
Note: When I fish, I use Owner mosquito hooks in size 10 or 12 and pinch the barbs down and all lures are modified to use single barbless hooks for easy release, however sometimes you just gotta keep them due to too much damage or exaustion. I caught alot of fish but only kept 8. So dont get all crazy with me and my fish numbers:LOL:

Matt44
09-29-2011, 07:54 PM
i think I read your report while u commented mine haha atleast you got some alpers!! I haven't caught nothing big but wide freakin open for sure on jigs, pworms,and bouyants!

DC5fishR
09-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the detailed report. You absolutely slayed them! I can't wait to get up there!

GdHkSet1
09-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Cool report, thank you. We hit Silver on that Friday afternoon w/o a Boat, we were working the shoreline just were the curve is across from the boat rentals, we saw some float tubers-may have been you!

shinbob
09-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Great report of a great trip!

Yeah, there's lots of chub in June lake (and Gull as well). I know people up there consider them "bank" fish, but I always just release them. I figure that since they are a native species, it's actually their lake, and that deserves some respect. Besides, they don't seem to bother anything, other than being a little annoying to catch, and a little ugly to look at....

bstolton
09-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Nice report! sounds like you had a great time. I was up there the week after labor day and there was hardly anyone around. Hope to go one more time in early november. Orange PW`s almost always seem to get bit. I caught one of those chub a couple of years ago at June and I was like what the hell is this. lol

phishin phool
09-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanx fellaz.
Matt44: Yep I think your right, hope your slayn them up there still!!!
gdhkset: Yep, might have been me, I was out there from 3 till just before dark, Silver is absolutely overflowing with fish!!!!
shinbob: I hear ya on the "native" thing, It was funny cuz that thing hit my worm pretty hard then when I got it close it played dead, until I released it, then it took off like nothin happened. lol. I thought chubs were vegitarians, I wonder why it went after my powerworm.
bstolton: This was my first trip after labor day and wont be my last forsure, its so different up there without the crowds. It should be on fire still in nov, and the brownies should be on the chew, but bring a heavy jacket and good luck.

JAG107
10-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Great trip, looks like you had a bit more success than I did. Gotta get me a tube, you tubers are always slaying, must make a big difference with the stealth mode.

billy b
10-02-2011, 11:51 AM
You were using Gulp natural power worms? These?

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/soft-bait/gulp/floating-trout-worm

JAG107
10-02-2011, 03:10 PM
You were using Gulp natural power worms? These?

No, these. (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=berkley+gulp+pinched+crawler&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=NDV&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=609&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=594528799784241086&sa=X&ei=7eCITsvgPOPiiALwwsW0DA&ved=0CDoQ8wIwAA)

Gulp pinched crawler garlic scent. Used natural and chartreuse.

billy b
10-02-2011, 04:16 PM
No, these. (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=berkley+gulp+pinched+crawler&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=NDV&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=609&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=594528799784241086&sa=X&ei=7eCITsvgPOPiiALwwsW0DA&ved=0CDoQ8wIwAA)

Gulp pinched crawler garlic scent. Used natural and chartreuse.

Cool ... thanks.

phishin phool
10-02-2011, 10:14 PM
No, these. In natural color. At least I think you were originally asking me?
I use these in the creeks especially Rush and Bishop, with killer results, either threaded or wacky rigged

phishin phool
10-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Whats great about a tube is you can constantly be covering water (stealthly) without too much trouble, however it can be very challenging when its even a little bit windy. To me float tubing is the ultimate way to fish, IMO.
Great trip, looks like you had a bit more success than I did. Gotta get me a tube, you tubers are always slaying, must make a big difference with the stealth mode.

Big Country
10-03-2011, 03:02 PM
should have nose-hooked the tui chub and ran him out deep...just saying

phishin phool
10-03-2011, 07:36 PM
LOL! You think a big brownie might have went after it?

should have nose-hooked the tui chub and ran him out deep...just saying

Big Country
10-04-2011, 11:49 AM
that's their #1 food source up there (except for B-port twins where the kokanee are #1), so....YA!

billy b
10-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey phisin ... sorry for the error. I wasn't paying much, if any, attention. I've used the orange in those worms with some success ... and no luck with chartreuse or red. Will give the natural a try. FWIW, I was riggging them just like a power worm 2-3 feet below a split shot. Boy ... you have to keep an eye on them ... they do dry out if you don't seal the plastic real well.

phishin phool
10-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Yeah I haven't had any luck with chartreuse either up there and a little with red. I prefer the regular powerworms because they dont dry out like the "Gulp" ones (pain in the rear) but I do like the natural color "gulp" ones more than the others. And I too prefer normal threading of the worm, but wacky works well drifting in the creeks too.
Hey phisin ... sorry for the error. I wasn't paying much, if any, attention. I've used the orange in those worms with some success ... and no luck with chartreuse or red. Will give the natural a try. FWIW, I was riggging them just like a power worm 2-3 feet below a split shot. Boy ... you have to keep an eye on them ... they do dry out if you don't seal the plastic real well.

marinate
10-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Nice report phishin. I'm heading out to Mammoth Lakes, the Loop, and Convict this weekend. Would you mind sharing with me how you rig and and work the power worm and bubble? Do you fill the bubble? Or just partially? Also, I bought some of those new Gulp Pinched Crawlers and would like to know the best way to fish those. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

phishin phool
10-07-2011, 08:32 PM
PM Sent.........
Nice report phishin. I'm heading out to Mammoth Lakes, the Loop, and Convict this weekend. Would you mind sharing with me how you rig and and work the power worm and bubble? Do you fill the bubble? Or just partially? Also, I bought some of those new Gulp Pinched Crawlers and would like to know the best way to fish those. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

HBAR
10-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Wife and I got to June lake Thursday afternoon in the snow, got on the water Friday morning by 930, two hours later between my wife and I we had 25 fish. Final count for yesterday was 39, got on the water today at around the same time, final count for today 57.
Now before anyone starts with being a poacher well we only kept our five each caught and released the rest of them, if we happen to catch something bigger we would swap out a smaller one for the bigger one. One more day on the lake in a rental, can't wait to see what the final count will be. All I have to say is powerbait in salmon egg red.
Oh yeah Eddie the roe works great out here, if you couldn't tell by the voice mail I left you yesterday.

phishin phool
10-09-2011, 12:19 AM
You were using power bait and releasing fish?? How do you do that?
Wife and I got to June lake Thursday afternoon in the snow, got on the water Friday morning by 930, two hours later between my wife and I we had 25 fish. Final count for yesterday was 39, got on the water today at around the same time, final count for today 57.
Now before anyone starts with being a poacher well we only kept our five each caught and released the rest of them, if we happen to catch something bigger we would swap out a smaller one for the bigger one. One more day on the lake in a rental, can't wait to see what the final count will be. All I have to say is powerbait in salmon egg red.
Oh yeah Eddie the roe works great out here, if you couldn't tell by the voice mail I left you yesterday.

HBAR
10-10-2011, 07:41 PM
You were using power bait and releasing fish?? How do you do that?

Well you just have to be careful getting the hook out, if your wondering not one of the trout we released died, they all came back to life and swam away.

phishin phool
10-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Just handling a trout long enough to get a treble hook out is enough to kill it. It may swim away but most likely they died. I dont mean to be a jerk but any trout that swallows a treble hook should be kept and counted towards your limit. Releasing a fish after catching it on powerbait(if swallowed) is a waste and shows lack of judgement and responsibility as an angler, IMO.

Viejo
10-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Well said.

How the heck do you release smaller fish when you catch bigger fish from a stringer? The mere act of putting the wire through the kills destroys the gill tissue. Trout aren't Bass

HBAR
10-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Who said anything about putting a wire or rope from a stringer through the gils? I have a basket that they can swim freely (space allowing) none of these fish met their fate with a stringer.

Viejo
10-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Bottom line was when you caught your five limit, you were done for the day....basket (space allowing) or not. There is nothing in the regs that says you can keep five alive and swap out number six for a smaller fish. If you have five trout in possession, you are done for twenty four hours. There are no exceptions for baskets, ice chests, creels or stingers. Five in hand. Please don't believe me....make a call to the DFG and see for yourself.

billy b
10-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Viejo ---

I'm with you on what you presented. There are some who believe it's okay to swap fish from the basket with #5... and then eventually quit and keep the last one for a limit. I believe that's called "culling" ???? but may not be allowed.

What's the rule about having more than 5 fish in the car? I've heard some say they can have 10 in their possession ... just not more than 5 when walking back to the car.

Viejo
10-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Actually have a call into the Lt that handles enforcement questions and will ask both. I believe you are correct...five in hand and five in the cooler. The problem with culling is that you still end up killing more fish. Thrashing around in a wire cage isn't swimming free.

snakeplissken
10-13-2011, 03:45 PM
:Cool::Guns::Applause:i better get some popcorn for this one...this is gonna be good...some people need to stop being a regulation nazi.i personally know HBAR and he's one of the best anglers i've ever met. trout die all the time...they fall victims to cormorants , ospreys , stripers and largemouth....but more importantly they fall victims to poachers which is something HBAR is not..if he released them , then they probabably survived. trout are not as delicate as you guys might think. and if there's nothing in the regs that say you can't swap out fish after catching a limit of five then it's the anglers CHOICE AND PEROGATIVE to either call it a day or keep fishing....way to go HBAR

Viejo
10-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Yeah, you're right. Regulations are for the other guy.

However, If you are correct, I'll give you ten minutes to get some popcorn before I apologize. I don't happen to agree with you on a trout's non delicate nature. I do agree that HBAR is quite the fisherman. 57 fish to hand for anyone is someone to crow about.

HBAR
10-13-2011, 05:49 PM
"57" fish in honor of our founder of "Team 57"

Total fish count between my wife and I and friend from high school (who fished with us one day) 141 trout.

Viejo
10-18-2011, 04:21 PM
SNAKEPLISSKEN:"and if there's nothing in the regs that say you can't swap out fish after catching a limit of five then it's the anglers CHOICE AND PEROGATIVE to either call it a day or keep fishing....way to go HBAR"

DFG Enforcement Officer:"It is legal to keep your trout alive in a basket, bucket, etc., but it is not legal to swap out previously caught fish for others larger ones caught later (high grading) if it results in you taking more than the daily bag limit. Once a fish is reduced to bag - placed on stringer, in bag, bucket, etc. it counts towards your daily bag limit.

In addition, you may not transport live fish from the water where taken.

You may take and release any number of trout each day but only as long as you do not remove them from the water and release them immediately unharmed at the site where taken. This is a common practice by people using flies tied on barbless hooks."

Can your sportsman buddy use a basket...yes. Can he high grade/cull the fish? No. When that fifth fish hit the basket, he was done for the day. Only he didn't stop for another hundred or so fish. Way to go HBAR....

sierraslam
10-19-2011, 10:46 AM

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Re: Never fished Crowley
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 01:56:23 PM » Reply with quote Modify message Remove message
Two sets of fisher people go out to catch trout. Group A is the evil family of 3, going out to soak Power Bait and release nothing. Group B has 3 anglers all decked out in there fly fishing costumes ready to release everything. Group A has a good day and all 3 go home with 5 fish each. That's 15 dead trout. Group B, being the River Runs Through it gang, each catch 100 each. If Mortality rates are as low as they can be, at about 6%. That would mean each pro killed 6 fish each. That's a total of 18 dead trout. Not cooked for dinner, just dead. The family of 3 not so evil anymore eh? All that said, catch and release obviously saves fish. Just don't pat yourself on the back so hard you knock the wind out of you the next time you catch and release 100 trout in a day. Something to think about. Good fishin ! This guy's brilliant. If you catch and release 100 trout w/ bait.. OMG! That's just wasting trout.