PDA

View Full Version : Lasselle Lake 9/26 Channel Catfish on Flies

Natural Lefty
09-27-2011, 03:32 PM
There is a lake very close to where I teach which I have been wondering about for a long time, Lasselle Lake. However, it is in one of those gated communities. Recently, I noticed an open gate by where Lasselle Street crosses the lake, and a couple of nearby parking areas. Yesterday is the day I decided to try fishing there, then maybe check our Perris which is nearby, in the evening.

Around 3:15, I parked in a pretty deserted looking apartment area, and made the short walk to Lasselle Lake by the bridge, feeling rather conspicuous carrying my fishing equipment along the sidewalk. I started out fishing by casting a crappie jib that was on my line, and felt a couple of likely bumps from fish and maybe a harder hit, but there must have been a bunch of cables or some such around there, and I soon lost my jig. Next, I put on a little bead-headed fly since it made a good hook, with a tiny bobber and a worm or homegrown grub, and before long, I started catching Bluegills. They weren't very large, with the bigger ones around 6 inches or so and some smaller, but hey, it was my first time fishing in my hometown of Moreno Valley, and I was already catching fish. I kept some of the bigger ones. After a little while, the fishing by the bridge slowed down, so I headed away from the bridge a ways and casted, which drew immediate bites. I caught another Bluegill soon, and the worm was gone, so I decided to try the fly, which I think is a chironomid emerger or something like that, although I am not sure. I decided to work it like a crappie jig, in short jerks behind the bobber. A couple of casts later, sure enough, I caught a small Bluegill on it.

I kept walking down the shore casting my fly and working it enticingly, and caught several more Bluegills, some of keeper size but nothing big. Then, my bobber was dragged under by something which was bigger. After awhile, I got this bottom hugging fish to shore, and amazingly enough, it was a Channel Catfish, stocker size, like 1/2 pound. I don't know what it is with me this year, but I keep catching catfish even when I am not trying. My wife caught one back in May, too. I caught a Channel Catfish myself last time I was fishing, from the Perris docks. Well, I kept catching fish on that fly, or when the action was a bit slow, on redworms. At one point, back by the bridge, I saw several splashes only a few feet away from me, so I put on another jig, and managed to catch two Largemouth Bass, about 9 and 10 inches long I guess, before the structure grabbed this jig too. I was hoping to catch Crappie, but I don't even know whether or not this lake has them.

I had decided to leave around 6 p.m., because I wasn't sure if anybody would be closing the gate at dark where I was parked. A little before 6, I made one final foray well down the shoreline with my fly, caught one small Bluegill, then lo and behold, a slightly larger Channel Catfish on the fly. This time, I knew almost immediately that it was a catfish. After that, it was about 6 p.m., I made a few more casts with the fly but nothing bit, so as an act of thanks to Lasselle Lake, I cleaned up a bunch of the trash left by litterbug fisherpeople there (disgusting how irresponsible a lot of visitors are), although I couldn't come anywhere close to fitting all of it into my cooler. Then I headed to the Perris Lake Marina docks, where fishing wasn't very good. The gate was still open even though it was after 6, and people were having better luck out on the end at the pay area, mostly small Bluegills but some large ones too, mostly on crickets. However, I stayed near shore and only caught one small Bluegill, which I fed to the birds, something I had never done before, but the bird looked friendly, and I don't see anything in the regulations about not feeding part of your bag limit to animals. I intended to try my new fly fishing technique at Perris, which I did, but it didn't work there as it did at Lasselle Lake. I left around 7:15 and drove by Lasselle Lake on the way back to check the parking lot gate. It turns out it was still open, plus one can park at the shopping center nearby. I think I should have stayed at Lasselle Lake. Maybe I would have caught my limit of catfish on my little fly there. The fact that I caught two on the fly there indicates to me that it was no fluke, plus Lasselle Lake has a lot of Channel Catfish. I think they stock it with catfish in the summer. I did see the head of one larger catfish there, probably about 1 1/2 pounds. By the way, one of the old chicken liver containers I was planning to put in my cooler and dispose of properly (hopefully to be recycled) was not empty. I opened it, and it was full of what I guess was rotting chicken liver with a bunch of maggots in it, so anybody who wants maggots for bait, you can get them there. I left the stinky container there. It was one of the foulest things I had ever smelt, certainly smellier than the smelliest smelt that I ever smelt. :Rolls Eyes:

Overall, I found the fishing to be surprisingly good, and the water didn't look dirty.

My totals for Lasselle Lake were, according to my accounting:

17 Bluegills (6 kept), 8 on the fly, 9 on worms or grubs;

2 Channel Catfish on the bead headed fly, kept;

2 undersized LMB, released.

It turns out that the same people I made friends with last time, Aldo and Charlotte, were at the Perris docks again, and they gave me their Bluegills again, 8 good sized ones. :Smile: Thanks, Aldo and Charlotte. It gave me more fish cleaning work to do though, and I think I am getting a bit tired of eating Bluegills. At least I have my catfish, so things aren't too monotonous. I have caught bullhead catfish on jigs before, but these Channel Catfish, caught on a tiny fly fished near the surface in the middle of the afternoon, were a first, and pretty remarkable catch, in an expectation defying sense.

Here is a photo of the two catfish along with the fly I caught them on, and yes, both of them were hooked in the mouth, as well as all the Bluegills I caught on this fly.

smokehound
09-29-2011, 12:49 AM
I would be stoked to catch TWO catfish in a row with a fly like that. WTG

Natural Lefty
09-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Yes, I was definitely stoked, Smokehound. The first one astounded me, but the second one was less of a surprise as I realized they were really going for my little beadheaded fly.

I guess not many people here have heard of Lasselle Lake, but I know a lot of the people in the Moreno Valley area have. The fishing was surprisingly good, with 21 fish overall in 3 hours, most on artificials.

vortec_cruiser
09-29-2011, 11:25 AM
It sounds like you had a great time fly fishing. Although I would be reluctant to fish a private gated lake, I would be even more reluctant to keep any fish I catch there. If you're fishing C&R and get caught, you would most likely be warned and sent on your way. However, if you get caught with a load of fish, you will probably wind up explaining yourself to the police. But then, I'm the type of person who tries to avoid situations that would likely lead to trouble. Were there signs that said fishing was restricted to homeowners in the gated community? :-)

Natural Lefty
09-29-2011, 05:22 PM
vortec cruiser, this part of the lake doesn't appear to be part of the gated community. There are apartments on both sides of the lake there, not houses. There is a fence around the lake, but the gate appears to be intentionally left open. I saw 3 other people fishing farther down the shore as I left, too. This is the east end of the lake, which used to be wide open, then they had some public hearings about that area (which I did not attend), after which, the apartments were built. Somebody who knows more about that community could perhaps give more information. I used to see people fishing there before the apartments were built, east of Lasselle, and they still fish there by going through the open gate. I figure it was an accomodation to the public which was made at the hearings. There is no direct access from the apartments or housing on the east side of the lake, to the lake. There is a fence between the housing and the lake. That doesn't seem like a gated community to me. Wouldn't they be able to walk down to the lake from where they live, and have docks, etc.? I didn't think there was public access for a long time, though, which is why I never went there until this Monday. Clearly, a lot of people have been fishing there, and sadly, some of them have left trash, so somebody needs to clean it up. I picked up as much as I could on Monday, but there is still a lot.

vortec_cruiser
09-29-2011, 06:31 PM
It's good to see you trying to keep the area clean. If others would just pick up their own trash, having to clean up after them wouldn't be necessary.

If there's no signs, then it sounds like it's okay for the public to fish there. Catch a big one!

smokehound
09-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Did you see any bass there?

fish-o-haulic
09-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Sounds good. Hope we dont get people tryin to trash this lake as well if or when its found out. I think for that purpose ill stay away from it. But as far as catfish i often catch cats when im not fishing for them. But good job out there.

fish-o-haulic
09-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Did you see any bass there?

He said in the report he caught a bass.

headcase881
09-30-2011, 03:28 PM
:Secret:shhhh the locals maybe watching:Wink: ha ha ha ha

smokehound
10-01-2011, 12:23 AM
He said in the report he caught a bass.Oh, okay, I missed that part. thanks.

fish-o-haulic
10-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Oh, okay, I missed that part. thanks.

No problem.

Natural Lefty
10-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Smokehound, I caught 2 bass on jigs. They were about 9 and 10 inches long. (It's in the list of what I caught at the bottom.) This lake definitely has a decent bass population. I saw a few big splashes which might have been bigger bass.

vortec cruiser, I try not to fish illegal places, although sometimes it's difficult to tell. I could try asking people around there, but they probably wouldn't really know. There are absolutely no signs there, and the housing areas are fenced off from the lake area, but anyone can walk through the gate by Lasselle Street, so my guess is that it's intended to be open to the public, east of Lasselle. To the west (where the dam is) is definitely a gated community. I did try to clean up the place some, but we see trash everywhere that a lot of people fish, unfortunately, such as Perris, etc.

fish-ohaulic, actually I was hoping some people from this board would fish there and clean it up, but no biggie if people leave it alone.

As far as the locals, headcase, I am a local. I always drive by it and wanted to try it since I saw what appears to be a public entrance. Clearly, other locals have found it too. In fact, I have been seeing people fish it for many years. I tried looking it up on the internet the other day, and found that the lake's actual name may be Moreno Valley Ranch Lake, although the Moreno Valley Ranch is not in the area I fished. I was told that it is called Lasselle Lake though, by the couple who performed my wife's and my wedding ceremony, who said they lived in Moreno Valley Ranch. This was in 2001, 10 years ago.

Another nice thing about this lake is that it has massive numbers of Mosquitofish, although it doesn't seem to have Threadfin Shad or Silversides like nearby Perris Lake.

headcase881
10-03-2011, 03:57 PM
the locals comment was a joke there was a thread early last week that blew up over locals and all that

Natural Lefty
10-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Hello headcase, I didn't see that thread so I didn't know what you were talking about. I don't have any problem with locals. I haven't been travelling very far to fish myself since I returned from Taiwan (had another big adventure to Utah and Arizona earlier in the summer). My fishing partner wife is still in Taiwan, sadly.

You know I am a psychologist, don't you? I just mentioned that because you call yourself headcase. Actually, I am a Social Psychologist, not a Clinical Psychologist, and I find that sometimes it is a mistake for me to mention that I am a psychologist, but I will anyway.