PDA

View Full Version : Tri-City Park 9/26

smokehound
09-27-2011, 08:45 AM
I wanted to see how many fish I could catch on a kastmaster, so I hit up Tri-City..

it took a while, but I finally tapped into fish.

the fish wanted a variable retrieve, this time, and ignored a slow steady crank.

As soon as I switched from steady, to variable, this guy hit me hard and surprisingly, it took a little drag:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/0926134700.jpg

I wasn't seeing any bass in the shallows, except for the little pond.. I did watch a nice 2-lb'er swallow a 8-inch bass, but it wasn't interested in lures, not after swallowing that fish..

I kept shallow for a while, in the evening, but the fish were mostly holding deep.

the Kastmaster was working the best, when I followed the edge of the shadows with it.

when the evening approached, the fish would only strike on the fall-- I snapped my rod up, and let the kastmaster sink directly from the surface, and this guy hit me:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/0926161130.jpg

That's alot better than the last one. This gill put up way more of a fight.

after this, I got tired, and just screwed around.. While tossing the spoon, a fig beetle buzzed into my shin, so I took a tiny wal-mart octopus hook, pinned him on the edge of the thorax, and he started flying, which actually let me glide my hook Waaaaaay out there :ROFL:

I DID get a bite, too! The gills were all over that thing, but a nice bass came along right in front of me, snatched the beetle, jumped, and bent the hook straight.

You get what you pay for, cheap-***-hooks. :LOL:

also saw a huge carp, easily pushing 30 lbs rolling around at the surface, enjoying its evening.

I had a nice little day. The algae wasn't that bad, either.

Natural Lefty
09-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Nice report, Smokehound. I love catching sunfish on artificials. Did you see that I caught 2 Channel Catfish on a tiny beadheaded fly yesterday here in Moreno Valley? I really wasn't expecting that. I think I will try small spoons for sunfish more in the future, maybe flies for catfish even.

old pudd fisher
09-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks Smokehound , nice report and pics I like artificials because I can walk the shore and keep moving. I get kind of bored with the bait and wait thing.

Ifishtoolittle
09-27-2011, 09:23 PM
lol that's funny with the beetle. Also try adding small stinger hooks to your kastmaster I think your hook-up ratio will go up if you do that.

vanillagurilla
09-28-2011, 03:46 AM
corn tortilas cooked on the stove..... best carp bait ever... at tri city that is. sure is fun with my 8' ul trout rod and tie on a 20lb carp!

smokehound
09-28-2011, 10:32 AM
I think I'm gonna spend a night session hunting for crappie over here.

Nice report, Smokehound. I love catching sunfish on artificials. Did you see that I caught 2 Channel Catfish on a tiny beadheaded fly yesterday here in Moreno Valley? I really wasn't expecting that. I think I will try small spoons for sunfish more in the future, maybe flies for catfish even.Yeah, I did see it. Awesome way to catch fish, catfish, nonetheless.

Cats will hit spoons, too!