PDA

View Full Version : How to catch DVL Carp

skunked again
09-26-2011, 08:39 PM
I was out bass fishing the shallows a few days ago. There were quite a few 3 to 6 lb carp in the shallows. It seems they were interested in my senkos. Does anyone have a good lure/bait/fly the carp will bite at DVL? I have seen a few 10lb carp out there. It would be so much fun on 2-4 lb test.

dixoncider
09-26-2011, 09:46 PM
hotdog buns with ketchup on them has worked on carp for me..not a dvL but I have never tried it there..The ones I see out there are pretty big..

fishmounter
09-26-2011, 10:56 PM
SA- If you can find a 1/16 oz dark green or black maribou jig (maribou has lots of action and movement in the water) and thread on a red worm straight on the hook, this little lure will work if you can cast it beyond them and slowly hop it near them, if...they are in a feeding mood. You can also put a few kernels of canned or frozen corn on the jig's hook instead of a worm. If the water is clear, they will see the jig from quite a distance and swim over to it, I guess they think it's a bug or crawfish. Watch for the dark jig to disappear in the carp's mouth and set the hook. You need to use a light line to make long casts and also because carp are line shy. This method works great at the Colorado River.

dixoncider
09-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Not sure but I think you can not use corn..per fish and game reg's...?

tpfishnfool
09-27-2011, 09:21 AM
''TNT'' and a net....

HawgStalker
09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Not sure but I think you can not use corn..per fish and game reg's...?

We used a corn kernel, marshmellow and a salmon egg for trout back in the day.....

Ive never heard corn being against regs but Im not sure either.....

skunked again
09-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys. Jeff, yer the bomb!

Indo-angler
09-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Some years ago I emailed DFG about the use of corn as bait, because this was a recurring question.

DFG stated it was okay to use since it was a "processed bait".

Others here on FNN have quoted the reg.

One time fishing for bass in a cove with my then 10 year old grandson, we were eating a sandwhich when a school of carp moved by our boat. I put a little piece of bread on the hook, tossed it in. It was promptly sucked up by a carp and my grandson was on for a long drag ripping fight.
Grandson beat a 10 # common carp on 5# line.