PDA

View Full Version : I got a chance to fish some spots where there isn't any public access.

fishinone
09-26-2011, 02:11 PM
My cousins Ronnie and Doug invited me to fish in a couple private fishing holes during my vacation. I had no idea what I was really in for, but I knew that if they said the fishing was great, it was going to be a treat.

Day 1

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/2011%20vacation%20with%20Ronnie%20and%20Doug/IMG00911-20110922-0640.jpg

This is the boat we were going in.

I have to admit, I began to wonder about this excursion at this point. :Razz:

We took the boat off of the trailer and tied it tight in the bed of the truck for the ride in to the spot over bumpy dirt roads.

We went a long way over some rough roads and through several locked cattle gates.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/2011%20vacation%20with%20Ronnie%20and%20Doug/IMG00912-20110922-0827.jpg

This was my view of the lake when we arrived. Spectacular!

Things were looking up!:LOL:

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/2011%20vacation%20with%20Ronnie%20and%20Doug/IMG00913-20110922-0827.jpg

Here's a view upstream.

We launched about 8:30 and hadn't even gotten started before Ronnie put a 19" rainbow in the boat, then a 13" one. Then Doug landed a 19" one and Ronnie an 18" fish right after.

I was messing with a stick bait, getting hits but hadn't hooked up. I switched to a spinner like the pros were using and soon got one about 17" out of the tail of a mild rapid.

What a nice grade of fish! We hadn't even seen a small fish yet.

With everybody on the board we anchored up in a spot where the current hit an underwater ridge and turned hard to cross the river. We picked up some 12" and 13" fish there then tried to run up river.

The flow was low and we had to stop. We pulled over to the shore, tied off and worked our way up river on foot.

Ronnie and Doug took a shortcut overland as I worked up the bank.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/2011%20vacation%20with%20Ronnie%20and%20Doug/IMG00917-20110922-1021.jpg

I caught a couple of these and knew that I needed to keep moving.

I saw a spot down through the trees that looked like it was deep and found an easy way down to the river in exactly the right place. The only paths are cattle and deer paths.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/2011%20vacation%20with%20Ronnie%20and%20Doug/IMG00920-20110922-1036.jpg

I guess that was a good call, I was rewarded with this nice bow. These fish were powerful. They were jumping over and over. They were unbelievable in open water and in a rapid they were even better. We lost lots of fish due to pulled hooks. They bent up our lures one after another.

I saw my cousins coming back from up above as I was taking this picture and called them down to the hole. Ronnie picked up another fish a little bigger than mine before we went back to the boat for lunch.

We worked our way back down river, picking through 12" to 19" fish, keeping a few big ones and the ones that looked like they wouldn't make it.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/2011%20vacation%20with%20Ronnie%20and%20Doug/IMG00922-20110922-1544.jpg

By about 3:30 we had enough fish to fill the orders from Aunt Mona's neighborhood with a few for the smoker and were ready to go.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/2011%20vacation%20with%20Ronnie%20and%20Doug/IMG00926-20110922-1656.jpg

That's Ronnie on the left and Doug on the right. For perspective Doug is 6'3".

Day 2

Ronnie had to work so Doug and I went back to the same place.

We soon found that the fish were even more energetic than the day before.

They were just flipping out when we would hook them. We loosened our drags and still lost most of the fish. If we tightened up the drag they would pull free against the drag, if we loosened the drag they would dive into the long grass and pull free in the weeds.

Even so, we caught and released several limits of 12" to 15" fish. We hooked and lost lots of fish. I lost a fish about 22" long, it would have been my PB rainbow. I lost the only brown trout we saw, right next to the boat, it was about 18" long. It would have been my PB brown.

Doug landed a 20" rainbow, it was the big fish of the day.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/2011%20vacation%20with%20Ronnie%20and%20Doug/IMG00928-20110923-1726.jpg

These are the ones that we kept for the neighbors.

Day 3

Ronnie was working again, filling in for a coworker . He pointed us to place a little farther down the hill.

The fishing was slow, in fact we didn't get a hit for 3 hours.

At about 11:30 Doug said that he had a hit on a cast to one bank. He reeled in and got some kind of tangle. About 20 yd down the bank I told him that I could see that he needed help pulling fish out of that hole and turned around and cast to that bank.

After 2 cranks of the reel handle the lure stopped, I set the hook and wasn't to impressed with the response

The fish made a couple head shakes then turned and headed down and under the boat. As I realized that this one was a little bigger, Doug saw the line getting close to the boat and asked if I wanted the net. I said no not yet it's going to be a while.

Then the fish came out of the glare on the water into view 15 ft down. I said "It's a toad." and it took off downstream. I got it's head turned before it made it to the long grass growing 20 yd downstream and it made a run for the grass 10 yd upstream.

I could see the fish darting around and around on the bottom, rolling and trying to rub the lure in the rocks and gravel below us. I could see it's hooked jaw. I managed to keep him off of the bottom and after a few good runs he was near the net.

When he saw the net, he took off again. After a couple of repeats of that, we finally got him in the net.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/2011%20vacation%20with%20Ronnie%20and%20Doug/2footRainbow.jpg
A 24" hook jawed rainbow.

Later Ronnie and Doug were telling me that they were sorry that we didn't catch more fish that day. I told them that I was very happy with the days catch.

I didn't weigh him but he's definitely my PB trout.:LOL:

a321eric
09-26-2011, 02:19 PM
It looks like a beautiful lake man.

fishinone
09-26-2011, 05:34 PM
It's a nice lake but what I was really impressed with was the fish.

Which Way Out
09-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Leave a few for next time.

No Fat stockers in that water.. Nice fish like that are a rare find in this state. You guys are lucky to have such access.
Thanks for keeping the dream alive for the rest of us.

And if you PM me an invite I'll bring all the beer you can drink:Wink:

fishinone
09-26-2011, 06:12 PM
:LOL: We left lots of them, the place was just chuck full of them. You wouldn't believe the fish we saw there if I told you.

We realize that these places are special. The place was pristine, almost no trash. The trash we found came in in the water and we carried it out.

I feel very privileged that I got the chance to go.

Which Way Out
09-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Like I said ALL THE BEER YOU CAN DRINK!!!

You guys worked up a sweat.

Viejo
09-26-2011, 07:34 PM
:LOL: We left lots of them, the place was just chuck full of them. You wouldn't believe the fish we saw there if I told you.

We realize that these places are special. The place was pristine, almost no trash. The trash we found came in in the water and we carried it out.

I feel very privileged that I got the chance to go.

You had a very wonderful experience. Savor it and treasure it. Hopefully, you will be invited back. You will also get PM's requesting the location of your treasure.

It was pristine because the folks who had access didn't share the location and directions with everyone on the internet. If everyone had access....there would be no 24 " fish and the place would be trashed. Can you imagine how different the experience would have been with fifty other people on the water flinging heavy pyramid weights across each others lines and leaving their worm boxes and beer bottles on the shore? Sad but true.

MonsterGuppy
09-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Very nice fish!!

fishinone
09-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Like I said ALL THE BEER YOU CAN DRINK!!!

You guys worked up a sweat.

Who has time for beer when the fishing is like that? LOL

It's not mine to share. Please see the reply from Viejo below.

Besides! I don't want to be responsible for a bunch of screen name changes to RckSltRcvr.

You had a very wonderful experience. Savor it and treasure it. Hopefully, you will be invited back. You will also get PM's requesting the location of your treasure.

It was pristine because the folks who had access didn't share the location and directions with everyone on the internet. If everyone had access....there would be no 24 " fish and the place would be trashed. Can you imagine how different the experience would have been with fifty other people on the water flinging heavy pyramid weights across each others lines and leaving their worm boxes and beer bottles on the shore? Sad but true.

No doubt. What location?

Very nice fish!!

Thank you.

Bluesman
09-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Nice post. I remember being 12 yrs old fishing Rainbows walking up river in Wisconsin. Truly a beautiful fish with attitude. I'm glad you got to experience the trip with pleasure. Thanks for the pics and the memories of this fabulous creature.

Which Way Out
09-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Who has time for beer when the fishing is like that? LOL

It's not mine to share. Please see the reply from Viejo below.

Besides! I don't want to be responsible for a bunch of screen name changes to RckSltRcvr.

No doubt. What location?

Thank you.

It's all good. I didn't even PM you, cause I knew the odds were off the charts.
But I bet Viejo is right about it.

Got my share of RckSlt when I was a kid, don't need anymore thanks.:LOL:

fishinone
09-27-2011, 08:48 PM
It's all good. I didn't even PM you, cause I knew the odds were off the charts.
But I bet Viejo is right about it.

Got my share of RckSlt when I was a kid, don't need anymore thanks.:LOL:

I haven't been hit with rock salt but I had a quail hunter knock me down with bird shot once. Had welts all over my back and new Woolrich jacket was full of holes. No blood at all, I was very lucky

So far no PMs. Just as well, I can't tell.

I hope that everyone gets the chance to fish great spots like these but we can't all fish the same ones.

TroutOnly
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
THATS A BEAUTIFULL TROUT RON, LOOKS LIKE YOU GUYS HAD A BLAST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
09-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks Bob,

That one was unexpected. Especially after 3 hours without a hit, even though we had caught such nice fish the first 2 days.

Maybe the smaller trout were hiding. LOL

Kelster
09-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Nice report and fish. Takes me back to being a kid and fishing streams and lakes in Florida, Different scenery but just as pristine. Thanks for taking me back to those memories.

trail blazer
09-30-2011, 07:00 AM
WOW====PM SENT,,,,,,,,LOL

Great job RON,,,,,,,,,,,That place is spectacular to say the least,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a treat im sure.

CONGRATS on the PB!

TRAIL BLAZER

fishinone
09-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Ok!

To get to this place, you go until you get to the Game Wardens house and :Razz:

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-24-2012, 12:11 PM
nice catches there....

way ta slay : )

fishinone
04-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks Gary,

I've been back there twice since but the posts were lost. I caught 4 more fish from 24" to 26". Doug got a 26" fish too.

The one that got away was much bigger. I don't really know, but it way overpowered the ones we've been catching.

Going back this month.

fishinone

Lucky 7
07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
BeeU-ti-FULL!

smokehound
07-24-2012, 02:17 AM
I think I know where this is =D

fishincrave
07-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Ha Ha you found the post Ron ... thanks i don't know how i missed this post .. but man nice bows and a great trip ....

Sean

fishinone
07-27-2012, 12:08 PM
I think I know where this is =D

If so, don't tell online!

Ha Ha you found the post Ron ... thanks i don't know how i missed this post .. but man nice bows and a great trip ....

Sean

I think your talking about the posts that i told you about. This isn't it. There were to more reports with lots more 24 and 26 inch fish. All big fish released.

TUNAVIC
07-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Man that was an excellent report and great pictures also,thats pretty cool to have some private spots like that!

Cya Tuna Vic