PDA

View Full Version : mackeral fishing Huntington pier

J-Dub
09-25-2011, 11:17 PM
went to huntington pier to try and catch some of those squids kept on hearing and seeing about...but there werent any squids! only seen one person who had one... but thankfully the mackerals were biting! took my nieces and my nephew out there with me and they had a blast...total count for the day was 24 mackerals...alot of them were good sizes too :Big Grin:

Hooked Up
09-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Mack Attack! lol Always good when the kids catch some fish. :)

ordane
09-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Nice, I went down to Balboa last night and had a Mac Fest also. There was these dudes selling Squid Jigs but the ones in the water just had the seals chasing 'em, lol. Some dude caught a little squid but that was on this leader with a dozen hooks.

I caught a pretty cool lookin crab.

DockRat
09-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Chasing Calamari ! Hit or miss from shore. Good job with the kids.
It could be years before you see Humbolts are caught from land again.
Go get them guys, you can catch perch or short halibut any day.

These Humbolts are better than the usual 20 to 50 lb boat caught ones.
Thinner, 1/4" not 1/2" mud flaps on bigger models. Easy to handle and clean.
DR

DockRat
09-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Nice, I went down to Balboa last night and had a Mac Fest also. There was these dudes selling Squid Jigs but the ones in the water just had the seals chasing 'em, lol.

This Squid Bio Mass is moving around, OC, Pt Dune, SMB.

Anybody's guess ?

Did you see any boats lit up ?
DR

ordane
09-26-2011, 12:30 PM
This Squid Bio Mass is moving around, OC, Pt Dune, SMB.

Anybody's guess ?

Did you see any boats lit up ?
DR
Yeah, there was a small fishing boat about 3-400 yards SW of the pier.

That pier is like an aquarium. The seals were hanging out the whole time, a few dolphins got really close, a guy caught a small shark, I caught a crab and the Bat Rays were swimming on the top almost like they were showing off! That was the first time I had ever fished there.

We did San Pedro on Saturday and my girl was pulling in Croaker after Croaker. I want to get one more San Diego trip in before the Sand Bass go out to spawn. But other than that I think Huntington Pier is next
on my list.

mil sonrisas
09-26-2011, 07:26 PM
I fished at newport beach pier and saw a few people land some squid. i was able to squeeze in between two people, i asked and they were cool about it, and landed one in less than 5 minutes. i was using a pink squid jig some guy was selling on the pier. my handle on my reel broke and had to bring it in by hand. when i caught mine, i moved from the spot and quickly got filled. being that my handle broke, i gave my pink jig to the guy next to me and he caught one right away. every one else were using the glow in the dark ones, and that dude showed up and sold out on his pink jigs in about ten minutes. i left right after that, so i am not sure how many more were caught. i was pretty stoked, as it was my first squid ever!

ordane
09-27-2011, 10:26 AM
I fished at newport beach pier and saw a few people land some squid. i was able to squeeze in between two people, i asked and they were cool about it, and landed one in less than 5 minutes. i was using a pink squid jig some guy was selling on the pier. my handle on my reel broke and had to bring it in by hand. when i caught mine, i moved from the spot and quickly got filled. being that my handle broke, i gave my pink jig to the guy next to me and he caught one right away. every one else were using the glow in the dark ones, and that dude showed up and sold out on his pink jigs in about ten minutes. i left right after that, so i am not sure how many more were caught. i was pretty stoked, as it was my first squid ever!
The guy at Balboa was selling the pink ones too for $5. I didnt even think of it because the ones I saw in the water were glow in the dark also... I shouldv'e got one!!

DockRat
09-27-2011, 10:36 AM
These squid move around. Just because they are not there at 8 pm
that doesn't mean a huge school couldn't move in at 10 pm or 3 am

It's Fishing !!!
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w179/Kitilicious/crystal_ball.jpgDR

ordane
09-28-2011, 01:26 PM
This is the crab I caught... sorry its dark.

Psycho_fish'r
09-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Is that a giant sandcrab?

This is the crab I caught... sorry its dark.

ordane
09-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Is that a giant sandcrab?
I have never seen a crab like that, I felt something hit my line but there was hardly any weight on it. So I pulled it in to see if I lost my bait and he was hanging off the hook! Looks nothing like the crabs I've seen in the rocks or jettys so you are probably right that its a Sandcrab.