PDA

View Full Version : Badda Boom, Badda Bing.....

Nipple Twister
09-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Made an attempt at fishin some surf last Mon evening but it cost me, had two KM's go "bing" just as I was making a cast after pulling in this guy which was all I got then:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/HuntCliffs092011.jpg

Thought it might have been a stressed out knot but after tieing on another one and casting it........"bing"! Bye, Bye:Angry:...not sure then what the cause was but no over run, line still striping off the spool cleanly, nothing seemed to be hanging up...dunno. Decided to finish the session with a well used Kroc. It was windy, cold and crazy rips but I stuck it out until dark.
After checking further I decided to top-shot the spool with Mono and in doing so striped off about 75yrds of braid and was going to use that to practice my Uni to Uni before loading up the spool. Well in doing so and testing the knot/s almost every one broke where the mono knot met the braid, near as I can figure the braid was going bad...time to change. It is 15lb Spectra that was only weeks old but I have been puttin in lots of fishing hours lately so just maybe, had some 12lb Berkley which I filled the entire spool with......:Smile:

Jump to today:

Time: 0500hrs
A.O: Home front
Water clarity: Good
Temp: ukn, seemed cooler
Surf: 2-3 ft
Tide: +3 incoming
Bait: LCs/KMs

On the water at dark with NOBODY else around with the use of a LED headlight I start casting ....... by 0615 was light enough to see and others where showing up as well. Seemed a little slow but I kept at it starting with a KM, just after greylight got a hard hit but that was it, not a hard fight. Pulled in this little guy:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach092411b.jpg

Ok, cool. I'm ok with a Perch kinda day, bring it on. Releasing him I keep at it .......

Less then 20 mins later I get a harder hit and "Zzzzzzzing" takes drag......with the surf breaking right at the base of a steep beach there was not much ebb washing up the beach so you had to time it right and very gentle pull them from the surf. After a short fight, some head shaking .........landed it:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach092411c.jpg

Shorty but ok with me, was a fun fight. Back to the water with it and keep at it. Now I start making my move, fan cast, move and work my way down the beach. Shortly later I get BAM, El Bendo and taking drag ......... trying to move down the beach and again several attempts to get it landed hoping it doesn't come unbuttoned. Breaking the surface a couple of times and getting the attention of others near me this guy come to light:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach092411h.jpg

Nice, both of those where about 15 but I did not tape them knowing they where short I got'em back to water as quick as I could. By now I had switched to the LC, I switched after the Perch. Moving along after release it now was starting to drizzle which meant I had to remove my glasses.
After close to an hour I get a BIG hit and BIG head shake.....nice fight, hard to bring to me and every time it peeks out of the trench it's a hard pull back to the surf. Staying in the fight I try and not pull to hard but work it more.....I gain some, then lose some I get a break and see an opertunity to bring it to dry land and out pops:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach092411f.jpg
A nice just legal Hali:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach092411g.jpg
Thank you.......

Now I buzzed, Mr Happyman :Fishing Catch: I keep up my pattern making casts and not long it was BAM BIG TIME and El Bendo and it was running.....up the beach, now back the other way. Able to keep it tight but can't gain nothing! Whoo Hoo, this is a biggin :Big Grin: Longest fight yet, and it had me moving. Tighen the drag just a tad I was able to gain some but still up and down the beach. "What the heck is this, wow what I fight"! After what seemed like forever I get it in, YES! My first WSB!:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach092411d.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach092411e.jpg
Taped out 'bout 21 inches......nice, I want more of those. Gets ya pumped :Dancing Banana:

I had to stop and take that in for a while but was back at it in no time. Conditions starting to get worse, water clarity getting bad, shore pound getting worse. Not that I really cared at this point and just as quick I get BAM again! Pulling, head shake, fightin and ........ gone :Sad: Came unbuttoned. No worries, lets check the lure and the knots and keep in the game. On close inspection I see this:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/LameOwners092411.jpg
So much for Owners being the hook of all hooks, cost me a big fish! :Confused:

By now my arms could use a rest and conditions have gone from bad to worse so I decide it's break time and go look at another spot.
I try another A.O. but nothing doing. I'm starting to make some little mistakes in my casting so I guess I'm tired, 1200 hrs I call it.........nice morning, I'll take it :Big Grin:

Home to wash up, report in and prep for tomorrow...

Tight lines everyone, 'til next time, thanks for listening........

exfactor
09-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Good job on a dreary day, even with the Murphyism's, you pulled some good fish out

ZipperWurm
09-24-2011, 10:47 PM
man, you are SLAYING them lately...keep it up!!!

blackwater
09-24-2011, 11:30 PM
You're on a roll NT, nice job! :Cool:

Which Way Out
09-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Good job. Nice batch of phisheeees

What kind of water temps you guys getting down there?

murrieta angler
09-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Sweet job NT!
Great report and I only have one thing to add, WSB travel in schools.:Neutral:
Next time get back at it as soon as possible and get 2 or 3.:Big Grin:
Just ask Wingnut.:Wink:
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

iLLest
09-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Good job out there NT.
Roberto is correct about the WSB, they travel in schools. I can put money that the fish you lost was another WSB, probably a bigger one than the one u caught. Sucks, but make sure the OWNER hooks are the heavy duty ones, and not just the colored ones. Makes a big difference. The heavy duty hooks are usually dark chrome and frikin thick, yours looks like its just the colored version. Double check and give it another shot.

SP Dan
09-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey NT,

I'm soooooo jealous!! :Envious:

I was able to sneak in one and a half hours starting in the gray light yesterday (Sat) morn :Wink: and now (Sun) I'm doing a 11 hr shift today at work. It's making it tough to get wet! lol :EyePop:

You are definitely on your game John! :Fishing Catch: Congrat's on your first WSB! and your legal Hali! :Thumbs Up: Great report!

Save a few of them for me bro! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

PONTOON
09-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Alright NT, I've had just about enough of this! You are on the water way too much here lately!:LOL:

Man you are on a roll dude! I'm glad you decided to switch out the braid for the mono. After our little knot tying session friday I was convinced swithing it out was the best thing to do.

All I can say is congratulations on some fine catches the past few weeks and a special congrats on your first WSB from the surf!:Thumbs Up:

btw, Thanks for the text Saturday. That brought a smile to my face on the way to the lake. Great job!:Cool:

jerryG
09-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Well done NT! Glad to hear that the mono worked out well for you. As far as hooks go I've tried many with the LC and I have yet to find the perfect hook but I found one that I like better than the stock hooks.

I started looking for a better hook after finding that the stock Owners can bend out on big fish with 12 lbs line if your not careful. I also found with BIG halibut if they are not hooked really well from the start can leverage their weight combined with violent head shakes throw the hooks. In either situation the problem is that stock hooks are thin wire gauge. Don't get me wrong the stock hooks have held on for some BIG fish but not always and sometimes having that extra edge can make the difference in landing or loosing a big fish.

I tried bumping up the to a heavier hook. I found that the added weight of the heavier gauge wire hook compromised the swimming action of the LC to the point that the lure simply was not drawing as many strikes making the heavier hook a no go.

I also fish freshwater bass and they are another fish which are also notorious for shaking hooks. One hook that freshwater bass have the harder time shaking is the extra wide gap hooks. The unique bend makes it harder for the fish the shake off the bend also makes it more difficult to straighten the hook out so you can get away with using a finer wire hook with out compromising the strength as much. Although in your case with the hook breaking it may not have made much of difference.

I tried the extra wide gaps last season and they seem to hold the fish on the hook better than the round bend hooks. I have not had one bend out on me yet and they do not affect the swimming action of the lure. I have been replacing the stock hooks with extra wide gap hooks as needed and eventually I will have all my lures rigged with the extra wide gaps. You may want to give them a try as an option over the stock hooks. I like the red finish hooks but you can also them in black, bronze, or nickel. Check the links below for details.

http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1063

http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1078

http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2635

JerryG

bsp
09-25-2011, 09:50 PM
NT,
Very nice job on the fish out there! It's a big accomplishment to land a WSB from the surf, and one I still haven't done. One thing though is to be VERY careful with how you measure your halibut. Your fish is actually short because you measured it by laying the tape over the top of the fish with it at an angle towards the mouth (tape on top adds length because halibut are curved on top, and the angle adds some as well), and counted the partially open mouth as part of the measurement. It seems nitpicky, but those two things will add an extra .5" to .75" on any halibut. That makes your just legal a just short. The DFG will measure halibut across the bottom, white side from tail to end of the bottom jaw of the closed mouth. The measuring discrepancy along with the fact that halibut shrink after death is why several SWAT guys only choose to keep halibut that are 23in and up.

Anyways, very solid fish, just remember the measuring advice for next time.

Keep up the good work!

Marc

Nipple Twister
09-26-2011, 10:09 AM
exfactor
Good job on a dreary day, even with the Murphyism's, you pulled some good fish out

Thx exfactor, persistance does pay.......adapt and overcome.......:Wink:

ZipperWurm
man, you are SLAYING them lately...keep it up!!!

Thx for commenting ZW but I have been readin some nice reports from your camp as well..........

blackwater
You're on a roll NT, nice job!

On a mission my friend, on a mission........thx :Smile:

Which Way Out
Good job. Nice batch of phisheeees

What kind of water temps you guys getting down there?

Well, the last temp check was yesterday, 58 degrees at 9AM. Thx for the kind words....

murrieta angler
Sweet job NT!
Great report and I only have one thing to add, WSB travel in schools.
Next time get back at it as soon as possible and get 2 or 3.
Just ask Wingnut.
Thanks for the report,
Robert

Thx for the info Robert, I did get back at it that day and farmed one out and as Frank stated that was probably was another WSB .......Arthur, care to comment?

iLLest
Good job out there NT.
Roberto is correct about the WSB, they travel in schools. I can put money that the fish you lost was another WSB, probably a bigger one than the one u caught. Sucks, but make sure the OWNER hooks are the heavy duty ones, and not just the colored ones. Makes a big difference. The heavy duty hooks are usually dark chrome and frikin thick, yours looks like its just the colored version. Double check and give it another shot.

Frank, good info which I will heed promply! I will be given it multiple shots just to make sure ...... :Wink: Thank you for the kind words......

SP Dan
Hey NT,

I'm soooooo jealous!!

I was able to sneak in one and a half hours starting in the gray light yesterday (Sat) morn and now (Sun) I'm doing a 10 hr shift today at work. It's making it tough to get wet! lol

You are definitely on your game John! Congrat's on your first WSB! and your legal Hali! Great report!

Save a few of them for me bro!

SP Dan <"))><

Dan, sorry work is gettin ion the way, I shoulda PMd you and hit it together. I will soon and see what we can do....lemme know how you feel about it and when is best?
Thx for commenting...

PONTOON
Alright NT, I've had just about enough of this! You are on the water way too much here lately!

Man you are on a roll dude! I'm glad you decided to switch out the braid for the mono. After our little knot tying session friday I was convinced swithing it out was the best thing to do.

All I can say is congratulations on some fine catches the past few weeks and a special congrats on your first WSB from the surf!

btw, Thanks for the text Saturday. That brought a smile to my face on the way to the lake. Great job!

Well, you coulda been there but you wanted/had to go play with the kittys instead.
The knot tying session was MAJOR educational, if I had not changed it would have been farmland for sure, thx Big Man! :Envious:
Will be waitin to do it again as soon as you got the time, thx for all your help and encouragement.....:Wink:

I tried the extra wide gaps last season and they seem to hold the fish on the hook better than the round bend hooks. I have not had one bend out on me yet and they do not affect the swimming action of the lure. I have been replacing the stock hooks with extra wide gap hooks as needed and eventually I will have all my lures rigged with the extra wide gaps. You may want to give them a try as an option over the stock hooks. I like the red finish hooks but you can also them in black, bronze, or nickel. Check the links below for details.

Jerry, I am all over this info and will be gettin it done ASAP! Thanks big time for the advice......:Big Grin:

bsp
NT,
Very nice job on the fish out there! It's a big accomplishment to land a WSB from the surf, and one I still haven't done. One thing though is to be VERY careful with how you measure your halibut. Your fish is actually short because you measured it by laying the tape over the top of the fish with it at an angle towards the mouth (tape on top adds length because halibut are curved on top, and the angle adds some as well), and counted the partially open mouth as part of the measurement. It seems nitpicky, but those two things will add an extra .5" to .75" on any halibut. That makes your just legal a just short. The DFG will measure halibut across the bottom, white side from tail to end of the bottom jaw of the closed mouth. The measuring discrepancy along with the fact that halibut shrink after death is why several SWAT guys only choose to keep halibut that are 23in and up.

Anyways, very solid fish, just remember the measuring advice for next time.

Keep up the good work!

Marc

Marc, I clearly understand what your saying. I guess I was a little vague on the details but I had intended on releasing the Halibut but just wanted it noted that it was at least a "possible" legal. I am currently on a PB mission for Halibut so all else will be documented and released. Thx for keeping tabs on it and the info ....:Wink:

Jaysuuun
09-26-2011, 12:02 PM
NT, awesome session and congrats on your first WSB from the surf. Still waiting for mine.

jerr-dog
09-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Nice report & congrats on your first WSB. You have been getting out way more than I ever could keep it up.

Wingnut
09-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Awesome multi-species day... racking up the fish count. :Cool:
I like the Owners ST41 Cutting Point trebles myself. The same ones on the LC Saltwater Flash Minnow 110. :Wink:
You are hardcore, I like it! :Envious:

Nipple Twister
09-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Jaysuuun
NT, awesome session and congrats on your first WSB from the surf. Still waiting for mine.

Thanks for commenting and the congrats, it was a really fun morning for sure :Big Grin:

jerr-dog
Nice report & congrats on your first WSB. You have been getting out way more than I ever could keep it up.

Thank you, thank you very much .....I said a bunch of times already but I'll say it again....can't believe I haven't been doing this already!!!!!! :Wink:

Wingnut
Awesome multi-species day... racking up the fish count.
I like the Owners ST41 Cutting Point trebles myself. The same ones on the LC Saltwater Flash Minnow 110.
You are hardcore, I like it!

Yes it was and my first such session :Big Grin: Thank you very much for the kind words and support, pails in comparison :Envious: but appreciated greatly :Wink:
Longfin should be able to "hook" me up with such an item huh?
Thx....