PDA

View Full Version : Skinner: fog and boils NOT a plague

P.A.W.
09-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Saturday 9/24 6:30 am and you pretty much needed running lights. Real foggy, but you could hear the splashing. Once out of the east end channel and into open water the stripers were boiling and diving..... then boiling and diving.... etc. If there was nothing going on you just sit still for a bit and they would come back. Pretty fun. I found 'em along the north and south shores both until about 10:00 and then they went bye bye.

The LMB are still biting pretty consistently on finnesse stuff both in the tulies and out in 20' of water. Bought a new dedicated dropshot rod this evening (St Croix) and I'll be there to try it out on Sunday. Also was reading the frogging Perris thread and that prompted me to buy a new RevoSX loaded with braid and I'll be devoting some time to that as well. I don't know if dumping all this dough on gear is making me a better fisherman, but the deck of my boat sure looks cool.

P.A.W.
09-25-2011, 05:33 PM
.....Part two - Sunday morning same dreary low light conditions but this time very few boils. Fish were feeding though Like Crazy!!! I threw my Slashbait, trolled same bait and also the u-rig. Caught fish every which way. I found a bunch of stripers feeding in the south-east arm leading to ramp #2. Caught 4 there in maybe a half hour. They were also in open water at the east end of the main lake. Between 6:30 and 10:00 caught at least 15 all C&R. Sorry Bob no blood today.

The new dropshot rod is great! If you are making-do with an everyday light rod it is way worth it to get a dedicated drop-shot rod. Sooooo sensitive. I know the DVL guys have been preaching Morning Dawn for a while now, but most Skinner guys are still on Senkos in pumpkin. Well these por LMB didn't know what hit 'em. In a couple of hours before I left I was able to assault them with the Robos. Shallow weightless, deep DS they all seemed to fall for this strange new color. Water is down to 75* so things will be popping soon.

Dr. MindBendo
09-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Sounds like you did extremely well this this morning. I took my son out there with me today and rigged him up with the drop shot. Kid was a natural and landed a few LMB himself. We targeted some of the coves. I had a nice bass blow up on topwater which was cool to watch. Fish hit it so hard he jumped out the water. I'm going to target the stripers on my next visit.

GdHkSet1
09-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Saturday 9/24 6:30 am and you pretty much needed running lights. Real foggy, but you could hear the splashing. Once out of the east end channel and into open water the stripers were boiling and diving..... then boiling and diving.... etc. If there was nothing going on you just sit still for a bit and they would come back. Pretty fun. I found 'em along the north and south shores both until about 10:00 and then they went bye bye.

The LMB are still biting pretty consistently on finnesse stuff both in the tulies and out in 20' of water. Bought a new dedicated dropshot rod this evening (St Croix) and I'll be there to try it out on Sunday. Also was reading the frogging Perris thread and that prompted me to buy a new RevoSX loaded with braid and I'll be devoting some time to that as well. I don't know if dumping all this dough on gear is making me a better fisherman, but the deck of my boat sure looks cool.

PAW
Nice job out there(as usual). Have'nt been to skinner for a while, staying on this side of the hill (DV) for the big stripeys. Hope to see you on the water some time.

P.A.W.
09-29-2011, 05:22 AM
Hey Vince! I may have to try DVL out one day soon. It's just that with my anual pass to Skinner It costs me $4 to fish all day, and I'm a cheap SOB.

JAG107
09-29-2011, 09:55 PM
PAW you are the official owner of Skinner. lol I can't argue with your logic on price, for DVL $$$ I can troll the Vine for a couple bucks more for some lunkers.
My plan is to hit DVL this weekend for hopefully my first diamond striper.

GdHkSet1
09-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Hey Vince! I may have to try DVL out one day soon. It's just that with my anual pass to Skinner It costs me $4 to fish all day, and I'm a cheap SOB.

I hear you man, that's cool. I may have to come out to Skinner again myself, hope you get-em this weekend....

P.A.W.
09-30-2011, 06:19 AM
Hey Joe, part of me wants to see pics of your results and the jealous part doesn't. You are a trollin' guy through and through and I'm sure you'll get some big units.

P.A.W.
09-30-2011, 05:14 PM
I hear you man, that's cool. I may have to come out to Skinner again myself, hope you get-em this weekend....

Can't make it this weekend, but will be there for sure on the 8-9th. Looks like DR MindBendo may hitch a ride in the Tracker that weekend. Slayage will ensue.