PDA

View Full Version : Balboa Pier Surf Squid, Moo Moo Pier

DockRat
09-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Told my nephew about the squid. Next thing, I'm talked into going. :Rolls Eyes:
We got there about 8 pm, parked about 150 yards N of the pier. Got out and looked
:Shocked: The whole pier was elbow to elbow :Shocked:
The pier closes at midnight, just because there not there at 9 pm
doesn't mean they won't show up at 11 ? Nobody knows.

After thinking for 10 seconds about this new thing ' Cattle Pier Fishing ' Uh I'll pass. :Rolls Eyes:
Lets hang out and wait for intel. Some guys coming off with poles saw no Squid caught.
but it's still early ? Ran into FishingFool and ? (forgot your name,sorry) with Team 57 shirt.
Talked and they went to the pier with gear. Some pier guys caught them but not WFO like thus night.

A dozen + boats lit up in 2 areas close to the pier ?
My nephew and buddies hit the surf, 1/2 hour later 'Hook Up' !

His buddy gets a 2' @ 5 lb Humbolt on a trout rod 6 lb test
on a 3" Blue/Chrome Kroc.

Now it's about 9:30 they come to the truck and tell me.
Take off my walking boot (broken leg) slip on a reg boot, grab my jig stick with a
Penn Squidder narrow, 20 lb test mono. Tie on a Tady Iron B/W. 30 min later the
Quad Cops pull up and tell us the beach closes at 10 ! OMG what a joke.

These guys said they saw more in the surf.
Someone could hook up (maybe) tonight, tomorrow ? On the beach unless you prefer
Cattle Pier Fishing.

Surf gear advised, Something that casts long. Spinner, Bait Caster, whatever you have.
6 to 20 lb test. 10 to 40 lb test on the pier.
Squid glow jig, lighted squid jig, maybe a bobber for slow (off the bottom) bounce retrieve.
White iron, Kroc, anything bright with a treble hook.

Don't count out other piers, anybody's guess, they could show at Seal, HB, Newport ?

This mile, miles long BioMass of squid move around. They could be 1/2 way to
Catalina or in the surf tonight, your on your own. ?

Get some fresh Calamari and help save bait. Lol
Good Luck on being one of the few (elite club) to ever catch these from land.
Any FNNers ever land one from shore ?
DR

Ghetto Rig on the right, scroll over, must see :Thumbs Up: Be creative, catch squid.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/warrent/Montauk%20Squid%20Run%20Feb%202005/DSCN1283.jpg

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt26/localyokelauctions/Fishing/2-5-20095-40-47PM_2598.jpg

Ifishtoolittle
09-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Sounds like a "fun" night out lol. I think I stick with Legg Lake for the time being at least until this whole humbolt pier thing blows over. Oh, and that is pretty neat with that ghetto rig, but is that even legal? 4 trebles on a diamond jig? I don't know about that.