PDA

View Full Version : craw question

ushone
09-24-2011, 03:13 PM
quick q, was wondering if its ok to bring live craws with me out to dvl or is it not allowed?

KingShad
09-24-2011, 07:51 PM
According to bluewater tackle temecula who sells them says dvl is ok.

Cadillyak
09-24-2011, 09:15 PM
I have been told that they are allowed as long as you have proof that they were purchased and not caught wild. Not quite sure how true this is. Hopefully someone can chime in.

HawgStalker
09-25-2011, 07:03 AM
Live craws are legal. Havent heard anything about catching wild ones.....

Plastic ones work great at DVL too.....

kwin
09-25-2011, 10:07 AM
must provide a receipt showing they were purchased, not caught from the wild. Crawfish are defined as "finfish" in the regs and may not be used in waters where they were not caught. Purchased crawdads are legal.

lobinero
09-28-2011, 09:07 AM
How ironic since a lot of the dads that are sold here in CA. come from Canada "go figure"

fishchum
09-28-2011, 10:12 AM
you will need a receipt as a proof of purchase, with out it you get a ticket.

Fishbreath
09-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Crawfish are defined as "finfish" in the regs.....

From the regs:
"1.46. Finfish Defined.
Finfish are defined as any species of bony fish or cartilaginous fish (sharks, skates and rays). Finfish do not include amphibians, invertebrates, plants or algae"

Please clarify, Kwin. If what you are saying is true, then a lot of fishermen are breaking the rules unknowingly. I had assumed the the rules at DVL specifying "purchased only" had more to do with quagga control at that lake, but if it applies to all bodies of water not just DVL, then a lot of people who catch their own crawfish will have to rethink.

Old fishermen never die. They just smell that way.
The Best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

kwin
09-28-2011, 12:48 PM
just going by what enforcement told me. they know the code book better than I

smokehound
09-28-2011, 12:57 PM
I thought you were only allowed to use crawdads in the same water you took them from???

Fishbreath
09-28-2011, 01:19 PM
just going by what enforcement told me. they know the code book better than I

I stand corrected then, but still find it troubling. In the definition section of the rules (1.46), it states that invertebrates, which include crawfish, are not finfish. So where are they getting their special definition that says crawfish are finfish? Also, I have read the regs lots of times and don't ever recall seeing any reference to "purchased only" crawfish. Are you sure these aren't DVL-specific rules?

HawgStalker
09-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I thought you were only allowed to use crawdads in the same water you took them from???

I know that to be true with shad in Riverside Co......