PDA

View Full Version : WFO Topwater Trip w/ Diamond Valley Guide Service 9/23

O
09-23-2011, 07:54 PM
I booked a trip with Art Hill and was super stoked for this trip. It was my first time fishing DVL this year and I had a blast to say the least. I've become addicted to saltwater fishing over the past few years and travel to Los Cabos once a month to fish on my boat,but I am HOOKED on DVL now thanks to Art!

We got to the lake nice and early, got the boat inspected and waited our turn to launch Arts Champion. I was super impressed on how clean and organized his rig is-he's a true pro guide and a great guy to boot.

Art had me drop shotting and I landed a LMB within 2 minutes of dropping in my morning dawn robo...With the skunk off, I asked Art to give me some pointers on my technique, he had me slow down and we had half a dozen LMB within the first 15 minutes! We moved several times within the first hour and a half and landed bass on every spot. Art and I caught a couple of smallies, not bad, 2 species and the day had just begun.I mentioned to Art that I really wanted to catch some stripped bass for a family BBQ I have planned saturday. So he says,"No Problem bud" and off we go to one of his spots to find shad getting busted up big time by several schools of strippers...He had me throwing these slick IMA top waters and on my first cast my lure gets BLOWN UP on, strong fight for a 3# fish and he has followers all the way to boat. All of a sudden Art and I are getting double hookups on top water and we're filling the boat with linesides ! I felt like I was fishing on the Gordo Banks as bait was getting boiled all around us...smashing my lure so hard that 2 of the 3 hooks on the trebel broke off...Insane WFO open fishing, I soon had more than enough fish for the family BBQ...Nice fat stripers with solid shoulders on them.

And as soon as it began, the boils ended and 45 mins had passed...we left to move to another spot and started right back where we left off and hung several more bass before taking a break for lunch. We moved to more of Arts spots and caught fish at every stop. Sure the fish weren't record breakers, but I had a blast getting the rust off my freshwater game...I would recommend Art Hill to anyone who wants to get their moneys worth and catch fish! Between his top notch gear and boat to his very humble personality, Art is IMO, the best bang for your buck. I'm looking forward to fishing with him @ Vail Lake soon.

Here's a few pics...my cameras battery died, so Art was nice enough to take pictures on his camera to email them to me. Can't upload to FNN, so here's my link to BD http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/freshwater-fishing-reports/360150-wfo-topwater-trip-w-diamond-valley-guide-service-9-2-a.html#post2426902

Nessie Hunter
09-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Now thats what Im talkin about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTG "O" and Art.. Been waiting for this report...

Link says data base error, so I will run over to BD and see the pics there....

I know there is a reason Art is in such demand.......

TopwaterTony
09-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Nice report. Way to go Art for putting you on them. Glad to see that the top water bite is going better for the linesides. The last couple of times for me its only been the LMB that have been busting on top, and they are trickier to get when they are pounding the shores IMHO. DVL has probably the biggest boils for stripers I have seen at any of the lakes around. There's nothing like seeing a football field sized school of stripers going nuts.

Fishbreath
09-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Congratulations on the great day. Art is da man. Maybe we will meet when you come to Vail. Since you already have the photos uploaded to BD, you can just use those links here. I took the liberty. Hope you don't mind.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/attachments/freshwater-fishing-reports/306201d1316833379t-wfo-topwater-trip-w-diamond-valley-guide-service-9-2-007.jpg

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/attachments/freshwater-fishing-reports/306202d1316833524t-wfo-topwater-trip-w-diamond-valley-guide-service-9-2-006.jpg

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/attachments/freshwater-fishing-reports/306203d1316833524t-wfo-topwater-trip-w-diamond-valley-guide-service-9-2-001.jpg

Old fishermen never die. They just smell that way.
The Best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

HawgStalker
09-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Great report! Im still looking for my first DVL smallie.....

Topwater fishing is the best!

Stormcrow
09-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Way to go guys!

kaneo
09-24-2011, 04:16 PM
nice job " o " and art, fun fishing at its finest, love the topwater bite... art, where is you hat and gloves ??

ART HILL
09-24-2011, 05:16 PM
nice job " o " and art, fun fishing at its finest, love the topwater bite... art, where is you hat and gloves ??

I did not have them on for the smallie picture. That fish was caught on my first cast of the day, and sun had not even come up over the mountain yet. I had them on soon enough, well not gloves that is. I did have on tons of sunscreen on though. Wife's orders!

Don't let "O" fool you, this guy can flat out fish. No rookie in his game. I wish the bite had been as good today as yesterday. We found our stripers in areas where no one else was fishing. Fish were boiling around an entire cove, and out in open water as well. Today my spot was loaded with boats by the time I got there. Oh well.

The topwater baits we were using were the Ima Skimmers. These baits flat out catch fish. For you Temecula residents, Blue Water Tackle in Temecula is now carrying the entire Ima product line. Last Chance in Hemet has them as well. And I forgot, you can now purchase them right there at Diamond Valley Lake. They are behind the counter. Sorry for shameless product plug.

Ian
09-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Stripers! Yum!
;)

diamondbear
09-24-2011, 08:18 PM
GOOD GOING on the catch Art . Good to hear there srarting to boil .

eddiefishtaco
09-25-2011, 02:47 AM
Nice!
good job guys