PDA

View Full Version : dfg trout planting

jpod
09-23-2011, 04:48 PM
the dfg website says ther stocking trout on sunday will this be the first trout stocking this year at dvl

TopwaterTony
09-23-2011, 05:14 PM
I don't think this is the first time this year. Seems late/early to be stocking the warmer lakes with trout.
Might not be Sunday though, week of 9/25 is correct though per the website
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/hatcheries/fishplanting/InlandDeserts.asp

kwin
09-24-2011, 12:13 PM
H2O is too warm. Plant is cancelled. They will resume when the water temp allows for them.

hookup
09-25-2011, 09:50 AM
water is definetly to warm but who knows dvl does so many seceret stocks.... the staff keeps there mouth shut especially about the dfg stocks

kwin
09-25-2011, 10:03 AM
they don't know cause I don't tell them.

HawgZWylde
09-25-2011, 12:45 PM

Lol, you little devil...

liteline
09-25-2011, 05:42 PM
That reminds me, what became of Art Berry?

ddoskocil
09-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Looks like that Lunker Punker I bought earlier this year is coming out of the box soon!

JigStop
09-26-2011, 09:13 AM
The drunks that caught that giant crappie are telling all the shore fisherman that there will be no stocking of any trout this year because of some new regulation.

ghost2uu
09-26-2011, 11:28 AM

Kwin,
Since 95% of anglers target the trout plants to catch striper wouldn't it be wise to post when and where the plants are going it to give the trout the best possible chance to spread out? Just a one day notice or the morning of the plant put a post that says west ramp or main ramp or water tower or Rawsons or wherever you sneaky biologists like putting them in the lake. LOL Only thing that will slow down striper on a trout plant day is angler pressure and angler catches. If not just text them to me at the cell phone number I will provide. LOL is it swimbait season all ready? HOORAY!!!

ghost2uu
09-26-2011, 11:29 AM
What is the current water temp at DVL? At what temperature will the trout plants begin?

seal
09-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Kwin,
Since 95% of anglers target the trout plants to catch striper wouldn't it be wise to post when and where the plants are going it to give the trout the best possible chance to spread out? Just a one day notice or the morning of the plant put a post that says west ramp or main ramp or water tower or Rawsons or wherever you sneaky biologists like putting them in the lake. LOL Only thing that will slow down striper on a trout plant day is angler pressure and angler catches. If not just text them to me at the cell phone number I will provide. LOL is it swimbait season all ready? HOORAY!!!

Yea funny DFG is worried about returns on plants (at least 50% caught in creel inspections I think) and predation so you would figure that they actually want people to catch the trout but the longer the trout are in the lake the more chance that the stockings will mostly end up striper food and less fish will be caught. I understand not giving out the day of stockings ahead of time but if your lucky enough to be there on the day then taking home a limit of trout or targeting the stripers that are eating the trout seems reasonable, eliminate the trout eaters save the trout.

Contradictions that I just don't get!

HawgZWylde
09-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Yea funny DFG is worried about returns on plants (at least 50% caught in creel inspections I think) and predation so you would figure that they actually want people to catch the trout but the longer the trout are in the lake the more chance that the stockings will mostly end up striper food and less fish will be caught. I understand not giving out the day of stockings ahead of time but if your lucky enough to be there on the day then taking home a limit of trout or targeting the stripers that are eating the trout seems reasonable, eliminate the trout eaters save the trout.

Contradictions that I just don't get!

The marina website posts the day stocking will take place. Past experience is it's usually a Thursday if I remember correctly. Time of day? depends on the driver I suppose...

ghost2uu
09-26-2011, 04:12 PM
The marina website posts the day stocking will take place. Past experience is it's usually a Thursday if I remember correctly. Time of day? depends on the driver I suppose...

Hawg,
That is the Lassen trout plant(private plants) it is every other Thursday at the main ramp. DFG plants are a crap shoot, Monday one week Friday the next. Plus they plant on any corner of the lake. I think they should all go in at the main ramp so the bulk of the trout anglers (shoreline guys) have a shot at fish

HawgZWylde
09-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Hawg,
That is the Lassen trout plant(private plants) it is every other Thursday at the main ramp. DFG plants are a crap shoot, Monday one week Friday the next. Plus they plant on any corner of the lake. I think they should all go in at the main ramp so the bulk of the trout anglers (shoreline guys) have a shot at fish

Lol, yup I knew that. The bulk of the shore guy's are probably fishing for Striper, and to them, the trout is simply chum. As for the other plants, they're for feeding the LMB's and Striper. Or for biodiversity. Or perhaps giving the boaters their shot at them, since they can't fish in the marina area and adjacent coves. Of course, this is just an anglers observation...

a321eric
09-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Kwin,

Ya thats a good point. Its a win-win for everyone but the trout. lol The striper fishermen get an easier route to the striper as far as location and bait to throw and the bass fishermen at DVL win because it well "help-out" by somewhat minimizing the striper population that will eventually take over the lake. I don't think it will stop the striper but it will prolong them from completely taking over....oh ya and maybe some of the trout can escape as well. Ha just my :My Two Cents:

kwin
09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
I move the trout around to...
a) spread them and the anglers around the lake. Thursday mornings of a Mt Lassen plant include a marina/ramp clogged with "baby birds" waiting for "momma". That happens every two weeks like clockwork and trout anglers take full advantage as far as my creel data shows. Striper anglers do so also. Boats/anglers clogging up/casting into the marina also poses problems as they interfere with boats trying to launch/disembark.
b) reduce striped bass predation on trout. The stripers are conditioned to bi-weekly trout plants and it takes as little as 5 minutes for them to start feeding on disoriented trout. The trout then stack up on the ramp (where anglers have no access) and are slowly depleated as they are corralled in a corner and decimated. Anglers never have a shot at catching those fish. By randomizing the release location of other trout plants, the conditioning of striped bass is reduced.
c) reward anglers that ignore the "lemming" mentality and simply go fish. If you happen upon an area where trout were planted, great, have fun, enjoy the resource that is provided to you and thank you for buying a license, obeying the regulations and enjoying the fishing experience. I try to mix up the planting locations at Silverwood and Perris also.

I have found finding or figuring out the bite is WAY better than having it handed to you.

ghost2uu
09-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Wait Kwin, you mean you want us to go out there and have to fish for them? Thats rough. LOL quick question. What is the current water temp and what temp do you look for to begin plants?

seal
09-28-2011, 07:39 AM
I move the trout around to...
a) spread them and the anglers around the lake. Thursday mornings of a Mt Lassen plant include a marina/ramp clogged with "baby birds" waiting for "momma". That happens every two weeks like clockwork and trout anglers take full advantage as far as my creel data shows. Striper anglers do so also. Boats/anglers clogging up/casting into the marina also poses problems as they interfere with boats trying to launch/disembark.
b) reduce striped bass predation on trout. The stripers are conditioned to bi-weekly trout plants and it takes as little as 5 minutes for them to start feeding on disoriented trout. The trout then stack up on the ramp (where anglers have no access) and are slowly depleated as they are corralled in a corner and decimated. Anglers never have a shot at catching those fish. By randomizing the release location of other trout plants, the conditioning of striped bass is reduced.
c) reward anglers that ignore the "lemming" mentality and simply go fish. If you happen upon an area where trout were planted, great, have fun, enjoy the resource that is provided to you and thank you for buying a license, obeying the regulations and enjoying the fishing experience. I try to mix up the planting locations at Silverwood and Perris also.

I have found finding or figuring out the bite is WAY better than having it handed to you.

Thanks for the input!

Oh and please at Silverwood do as many plants in Cleghorn as possible as opposed to the Marina, at the Marina there is very limited shore fishing, the trout anglers will fish the ramp causing Rangers problems, the trout tend to stay at the ramp for a long period (I know a lot move out also). I know the Rangers way prefer stocking Cleghorn over the launch ramp.

Sorry about the thread jack, mentioning Silverwood plants just got me going.

JigStop
09-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Seems like the DFG is always doing the secret "hit and run " type of plants on the various corners and that is a waste since very few boat anglers target them. But dropping them in by the inlet tower makes no sense. That has become a conditioned bait honey hole.

ghost2uu
09-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Please stock them at the main dam at Silverwood like you guys did when the fires closed the park. That was AWESOME!!!

seal
09-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Please stock them at the main dam at Silverwood like you guys did when the fires closed the park. That was AWESOME!!!

Yup that was cool, anywhere but the Marina.