PDA

View Full Version : Question for Tubers

reservoir dog
09-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Don't own a tube or kayak but looking for recommended lakes in SoCal that accommodates a raft with a trolling motor. A friend of mine has this set up and is looking for a place to let loose on the water without having to compete with larger boats or seadoos. I figured tubers and yakers would know best. Any suggestion is appreciated, thanks!

LGHT
09-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Well I think most small lakes consider your setup with a motor a boat so he will probably be limited to lakes that allow boats. If your just looking to fish I would try one of the pay lakes like SARL, Irvine, or Corona, but of course you have to pay to get in and then pay a launch fee. They however almost never have too many boats in the water to worry about though.

TopwaterTony
09-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Castaic Lagoon ... most other lakes you will be battling boaters.

seal
09-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Silverwood Lake. They have large designated 5mph zones so boats should not be a problem in those areas.

smokinflies
09-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Try Santa Fe Dam.

fishmounter
09-28-2011, 10:49 PM
I have seen several inflatable rafts/boats with trolling motors get inflated and launched at Lake Perris. Not sure it's legal because they are carting the un-inflated boats down to various launching spots on the east side of the lake, well away from the main boat ramps and the park rangers/personnel. I guess if they have their vessels registered and have CF numbers, it is ok.....

Kelster
09-29-2011, 06:34 AM
I have seen several inflatable rafts/boats with trolling motors get inflated and launched at Lake Perris. Not sure it's legal because they are carting the un-inflated boats down to various launching spots on the east side of the lake, well away from the main boat ramps and the park rangers/personnel. I guess if they have their vessels registered and have CF numbers, it is ok.....
That's where I saw them earlier this year when I fished the east end a lot. They would launch out of lots 11 & 12. Don't know about the laws and such but they were there.

Sparky70
09-29-2011, 05:24 PM
How doing Keister ?

Viejo
09-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Here's the info on what doesn't need to be registered. The rest do have to have registration.

The following vessels do not have to be registered in California:

Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
Nonmotorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
Nonmotorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
A ship’s lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
Vessels currently and lawfully numbered (registered) by another state that are principally used outside California.
Vessels brought into California for racing purposes only (exempted only during races and tune-ups).

TheAsianGuy
09-29-2011, 10:30 PM

I have an inflatable toon, with motor, registered, played in Lake Perris often. Talked to a few too with inflatable rafts, toons, and kayaks. No registration, blown up and/or deployed all over the place with motors attached. Lake police and site's personnel didn't care even when they saw owners were inflating at the beach ready to deploy. Haven't heard any one got a ticket for that yet.

Kelster
09-30-2011, 06:32 AM
How doing Keister ?

Not bad, probably heading out to Bernasconi this Saturday. Has Autumn made it up there yet?

vortec_cruiser
10-28-2011, 03:26 PM
I have an inflatable toon, with motor, registered, played in Lake Perris often. Talked to a few too with inflatable rafts, toons, and kayaks. No registration, blown up and/or deployed all over the place with motors attached. Lake police and site's personnel didn't care even when they saw owners were inflating at the beach ready to deploy. Haven't heard any one got a ticket for that yet.

Obviously, enforcement is very loose there. That's probably why I never see a patrol boat when tubing on the east side - if they don't see it, then they don't have to enforce it!

TheAsianGuy
10-28-2011, 03:35 PM
It's quite understandable, since they only have a few enforcement officers roaming the water and park to control the entire crowd, just like a few good CHPs on the highways. There are far more idiots on watercrafts in ratio to officers than the budgets allow. I simply help them out by biiatching and yelling. If they like to go one-on-one, hey, to me, it's more man's relaxation time with some physical exercises. If they like to run me over, it's their $30K boat over my $500 junk, follow by my half million dollar lawsuits over their sorry arses.

casting call
10-28-2011, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=TheAsianGuy;588055 If they like to run me over, it's their $30K boat over my $500 junk, follow by my half million dollar lawsuits over their sorry arses.[/QUOTE]

If you even survive. Be careful out there! PS. Can I have your $500 dollar junk? :LOL:

TheAsianGuy
10-28-2011, 03:59 PM
If you even survive. Be careful out there! PS. Can I have your $500 dollar junk? :LOL:

Oh, I'll make sure to survive. As for the junk, if it's still float, I'll still be riding it..you can have it if I croak? :LOL:

casting call
10-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh, I'll make sure to survive. As for the junk, if it's still float, I'll still be riding it..you can have it if I croak? :LOL:

Nah, thats a bad deal, just survive and keep your junk...:Envious:

HBAR
10-30-2011, 01:23 AM
If you live close to the area theres always hansen damn life guards there dont even know that if a boat has an electric motor that it has to be registered only thing they stress is wearing a pfd

Poxy Boggards
10-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Irvine & Corona are the best bet in the OC area.