PDA

View Full Version : Bend Over

blufinhker
09-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Went to DVL Yesterday Afternoon and Stan informed me that Starting Oct 1 , There will
be a Charge of $ 3.00 for the Tag That Lets You come back to the Lake so you don't
have to have the Boat checked again. WHEN WILL THE MADNESS STOP

Fishing_Wife
09-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Well that's just ridiculous, it should be the other way around, reward people for trying to keep the mussels out and charge for inspections. Looks to me like this is just a money making thing.

DarkShadow
09-23-2011, 12:59 PM
I say everyone boycott the lake!

bassmeister
09-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Better yet. Don't tag boat, next time you go just make sure boat is dry and will pass inspection. They hella hate inspecting boats and we have to wait in line anyhow.

ddoskocil
09-23-2011, 01:39 PM
If this is true, it is BS. Everyone should let Megan at Last Chance know we won't stand for it - she gets things done! (Sorry Megan, not trying to make more work for you, but you are Awesome.) 400 and something dollars for the year isn't enough???

blufinhker
09-23-2011, 02:17 PM
I am just going to Make Sure My Boat Is High and Dry let
them Inspect it each and every time I go I have Never Not Passed..

Stormcrow
09-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Wow...you guys are up in arms about a 3 dollar charge for a tag? Thats totally fine....You wait in line with other "frugal" individuals for 90 minutes to get inspected. I'll hit the water quick and be culling by the time you fire up your motor and off the water eating lunch at Yellow Basket by the time you get your 3rd fish. :-)

I mean, really, there are worse things...

Im grateful we can even still fish DVL these days.

Surfnsnowboard3
09-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Wow...you guys are up in arms about a 3 dollar charge for a tag? Thats totally fine....You wait in line with other "frugal" individuals for 90 minutes to get inspected. I'll hit the water quick and be culling by the time you fire up your motor and off the water eating lunch at Yellow Basket by the time you get your 3rd fish. :-)

$3 adds up really quick bro when you up 1-2 days a week. Put that on top of the $450 season pass and $3 entry on top of that and it gets pretty damn expensive.

If they explained the reason for it, people might understand the need for the fee. The place is getting plenty of business. Seems ridiculous a fee for something simple like that that helps keep the lake free of Quaggas.

TopwaterTony
09-23-2011, 05:23 PM

I call BS, it has never taken over 5 minutes for me. If you are there early enough, the inspection is done IN LINE. So again, I call BS.

As far as the fee, yeah it seems a little weird that if you plan to bring your boat back to DVL, you shouldn't be penalized since in my eyes no inspection = less work for the employees there. And putting a tag on takes 10 seconds.

Greg Springman
09-23-2011, 06:41 PM
I guess I will have my boat inspected every time then, it won't be worth it. Then you can chose any lake, when ever!

stocker
09-23-2011, 08:21 PM
No surprise. Once again, money = corruption.

fish-o-haulic
09-23-2011, 09:41 PM

EH personally im just cheap and will do anything to avoid paying extra money for anything.

dixoncider
09-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Maybe that $3 could be used to speed up the line some how...

yolo
09-24-2011, 06:30 AM
Maybe that $3 could be used to speed up the line some how...

:ROFL:My iced tea just burst out of my mouth from laughter.

Stormcrow
09-24-2011, 07:07 AM
I call BS, it has never taken over 5 minutes for me. If you are there early enough, the inspection is done IN LINE. So again, I call BS.

As far as the fee, yeah it seems a little weird that if you plan to bring your boat back to DVL, you shouldn't be penalized since in my eyes no inspection = less work for the employees there. And putting a tag on takes 10 seconds.

I agree, it has never taken longer than 5 mins for me either....but consider what you just read in this thread. Think of how many people will now wait for inspection rather than purchase a tag. Im just reading the tea leaves of what might happen in the future because of this. 90 minute wait because 30 boats "refused" to buy tags last time out. And there is only 1 guy doing the inspections. Even just 20 boats at your 5 minutes a piece is 100 minutes....almost 2 hours.

liteline
09-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Somehow I think there geniusses will think of charging $10 for an in line (pre opening) inspection. While we are changing our minds they will change the rules. Time to go to Perris or Skinner. I fish DVL more than 100 times a year so this cost me another $300; not small change. I plan to go there only once a week and get an inspection every time.

TopwaterTony
09-24-2011, 08:06 AM
I agree, it has never taken longer than 5 mins for me either....but consider what you just read in this thread. Think of how many people will now wait for inspection rather than purchase a tag. Im just reading the tea leaves of what might happen in the future because of this. 90 minute wait because 30 boats "refused" to buy tags last time out. And there is only 1 guy doing the inspections. Even just 20 boats at your 5 minutes a piece is 100 minutes....almost 2 hours.

I got you, it will definitively have the potential to take longer in the situation you describe. Although it could still be 5 minutes as well, but if there is a rush of boats at the same time you are getting there it will take longer. I still don't get the $3 tag logic though, even though I am not necessarily 100% against it. I would just like an explanation of the extra fee, and what it goes towards, as it just seems almost like a deterrent in my opinion. Otherwise why not just beat around the bush and raise the fees again. If this was a product, skimming an additional $3 off frequent boaters seems like bad marketing IMHO.

Fishbreath
09-24-2011, 08:27 AM
At a couple of the lakes in San Diego County you have go through a mandatory boat wash station for $10 on top of the launch and permit fees. Gotta love those quaggas.

Old fishermen never die. They just smell that way.
The Best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

Stormcrow
09-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Ya Tony has a good question...What is the actual INTENTION of the 3 dollar fee?

HawgZWylde
09-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Ya Tony has a good question...What is the actual INTENTION of the 3 dollar fee?

Perhaps to help defray the costs of the new rentals that aren't on the water yet? Gasoline costs? Maybe they are going to build a second kiosk and lane to shorten the entry time? Mechanical costs? Maybe the MWD increased their lease fees? Of course I'm pulling these out of my arse to give someone time to justify this additional fee...

exfactor
09-24-2011, 09:58 AM
This is part of the privatizing scheme the enviro's have in mind coupled with the MLPA situation. I promise you, someone stands to make some coin from these actions they are implementing on the fishermen. My take is, fishermen make too much money to not give it to the state. We want more of your spending money so you can't go so much.

Rick Grover
09-24-2011, 01:24 PM
has to be about paying the employees overtime to stay and tag all the boats at the end of the day. MWD could care less, this is the operators of the lake, [private firm, not MWD], trying to cover costs, which go up every year. If this is the case, I would just rather pay at the Kiosk in the morning. It is expensive to run a business in California with workers comp, insurance, employee taxes ect..... Here is the really crummy part about this fee is that its still not going to get us into the lake at a normal early entry time. Went to Skinner last week, lake open at 6, [pretty dark still]. I would pay an extra $5.00 if they had Lake Perris hours. Has too be plenty of unemployed or retired folks in that area to have a couple of work shifts a day where they can have normal operating hours. Rick G.

smokehound
09-24-2011, 01:53 PM
They should just make an honor system-type deal, get three inspections to prove you're responsible, then you get a sticker to put on your boat to show them you've had a good history of keeping your vessel hitchhiker-free.

I understand that it costs money to maintain a lake, but why not just make a donation box, instead? I'm sure pleased anglers wouldn't mind pitching in here and there... Sure it's not a sure-fire money making idea, but it's honest!

Just charging someone for an easy "get out of inspection" card is irresponsible, and will cause many boaters to become negligent, and import more invasive species, IMO.

seal
09-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Somebody had a meeting and said "How much do you think we can get away with charging for these tags?", probably 5 bucks came up, too much, 1 buck came up, too little, 3 bucks they'll complain but pay it, just right!

Covering overtime costs? I'm not as regular of a visitor to DVL as a lot of you guys but I'm assuming that maybe 10 daily at the low end with more like 30 tags per day on the weekends (somebody correct me if I'm way off on numbers) with those numbers it is a money making proposition, if it's just to cover costs then a token dollar would suffice.

ShellBack USNRET
09-24-2011, 07:13 PM
If a fee for re-entry tags is a fact, we have to put some blame on ourselves. When we demonstrated the willingness to pay more when the Ramp Issue was approved, we fought with our wallets when we should have been fighting for injustice. Who didn’t see something like this coming then? They raised the launch fee along with the season pass fee’s and by my wallet count a whopping (100%) and do you think the fees will ever be reduced as once mentioned during the ramp discussions. So how is the new ramp working out for us now? Did someone wake up one morning and say “Today I’ll turn the water back on” or are things like a major reservoir capacity planned years in advance. Yes, I’m still venting!

Now there is blood in the water boys and the sharks are out in a feeding frenzy. They know we’ll scream all the way to the inspection booth, but in the end they know we’ll pay. I’m hearing people justify or accept the additional cost in this blog. We reached for our wallets before, why would it be any difference now. Squeeze a little bit at a time and slowly they’ll milk us for more profits. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO, BM&C and ante up, right!

I didn’t know that a private company controls our fees, if that is the case that explains a lot. That also explains about a lot of high priced events at DVL. Then who’s in charge, the Oil Companies? If the cost of overtime for tagging a boat is the case, I don’t get the big picture. Do all the employees leave prior to the lake closure? Are hours staggered to avoid paying OT? Is this their sole responsibility during their watch? I am not venting at the staff, Stan and staff are standup people, and I would rather tip them rather than paying into this BS excuse of an additional fee. Here is a common sense question. Doesn’t it take more resources to hold an inspection? Wouldn’t common sense prevail to put the additional fee pointed on this problem? If their excuse is paying rising op costs they could have been more discrete than to charge those who are trying to prevent the spread of these mussels. They knew it would be complaints, but the Cuban cigar smoke covered their smirks.

If lakes in San Diego County are charging $10 for a wash, imagine how much we’ll pay when the mussels finally make their way into DVL. What’s next, pay meters on the toilets, season passes or launch fees based on your engines HP or boat length.

For a lake who charges $450 for a season pass, maintains a shoebox as a main restroom, and lack a simple convenience such as a cleaning station (I C&R LMB, don’t want to go down that road). I cry BS, and we need to stop this madness in its tracks now! OR THE SHARKS WILL CONTINUE TO CIRCLE THE BOAT.

I fish for fun after a long week at work, now I get to sleep in, miss the morning rush and not have to worry about paying into this blatant injustice.

Fishbreath
09-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Just a point of clarification. The wash fee for the two lakes that I know of in San Diego County that charge it is pre-launch. Those lakes do not have the mussels yet are using the mandatory wash of all private boats as a tool for keeping them out. But you are right in your thinking that a mandatory wash after being in an infested lake would certainly not be out of the realm of possibility.

Old fishermen never die. They just smell that way.
The Best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

Surfnsnowboard3
09-25-2011, 08:30 AM
If a fee for re-entry tags is a fact, we have to put some blame on ourselves. When we demonstrated the willingness to pay more when the Ramp Issue was approved, we fought with our wallets when we should have been fighting for injustice. Who didn’t see something like this coming then? They raised the launch fee along with the season pass fee’s and by my wallet count a whopping (100%) and do you think the fees will ever be reduced as once mentioned during the ramp discussions. So how is the new ramp working out for us now? Did someone wake up one morning and say “Today I’ll turn the water back on” or are things like a major reservoir capacity planned years in advance. Yes, I’m still venting!

Now there is blood in the water boys and the sharks are out in a feeding frenzy. They know we’ll scream all the way to the inspection booth, but in the end they know we’ll pay. I’m hearing people justify or accept the additional cost in this blog. We reached for our wallets before, why would it be any difference now. Squeeze a little bit at a time and slowly they’ll milk us for more profits. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO, BM&C and ante up, right!

I didn’t know that a private company controls our fees, if that is the case that explains a lot. That also explains about a lot of high priced events at DVL. Then who’s in charge, the Oil Companies? If the cost of overtime for tagging a boat is the case, I don’t get the big picture. Do all the employees leave prior to the lake closure? Are hours staggered to avoid paying OT? Is this their sole responsibility during their watch? I am not venting at the staff, Stan and staff are standup people, and I would rather tip them rather than paying into this BS excuse of an additional fee. Here is a common sense question. Doesn’t it take more resources to hold an inspection? Wouldn’t common sense prevail to put the additional fee pointed on this problem? If their excuse is paying rising op costs they could have been more discrete than to charge those who are trying to prevent the spread of these mussels. They knew it would be complaints, but the Cuban cigar smoke covered their smirks.

If lakes in San Diego County are charging $10 for a wash, imagine how much we’ll pay when the mussels finally make their way into DVL. What’s next, pay meters on the toilets, season passes or launch fees based on your engines HP or boat length.

For a lake who charges $450 for a season pass, maintains a shoebox as a main restroom, and lack a simple convenience such as a cleaning station (I C&R LMB, don’t want to go down that road). I cry BS, and we need to stop this madness in its tracks now! OR THE SHARKS WILL CONTINUE TO CIRCLE THE BOAT.

I fish for fun after a long week at work, now I get to sleep in, miss the morning rush and not have to worry about paying into this blatant injustice.

I agree 100%. I think the $3 for overtime is BS! learn how to manage a business and schedule hours accordingly. The fees are out of control.

liteline
09-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Has anybody confirmed that they are serious about this?

hook1fred
09-25-2011, 09:27 PM
I will not pay the 3 dollars.... not because I can't afford it, because these SOB's are trying to stick it to us. My boat is always clean and dry when I go to DVL so they can inspect all they want, I'll wait patiently.

exfactor
09-25-2011, 09:39 PM
If california would get off their ***, and install CF checklist on their computers, this would all be moot. they have it for camping, for our driver licenses, boats, trailers, seems to me they probably could implement a "where did he fish last" CF button on the main frame. But that would be using your brain, something seriously lacking in beaucracy here. Still say privatization is gonna find a way to stick it to us

baitfish
09-25-2011, 10:06 PM
I was there friday and confirmed, starting 10/1, you will have to pay $3 if you want to be tagged on your way out. He said you will pay in the morning on your way in and get a voucher or something.

We are heading toward winter and some of the best fishing is pre-front or just when it starts to rain. If you aren't tagged you won't be getting in if it starts to rain.

NFCD I
09-26-2011, 06:52 AM
I fish DVL about twice a month. With gas from SD and entry fee's it costs me about $60.00 to fish. The extra $3.00 is going to kill me, but it's BS. In the first place, I don't believe the lake is free from mussels.
Here's my question. If I don't get tagged, how do I make sure my 100 hp yamaha is dry. I keep it down when at home, but if I raise it after a few days and lower it again, I still get a few drops. It would make it very difficult to fish if I want to go on back to back days. I have an air compressor at home if there is a trick to blowing it out.

TheAsianGuy
09-26-2011, 09:55 AM
If california would get off their ***, and install CF checklist on their computers, this would all be moot. they have it for camping, for our driver licenses, boats, trailers, seems to me they probably could implement a "where did he fish last" CF button on the main frame. But that would be using your brain, something seriously lacking in beaucracy here. Still say privatization is gonna find a way to stick it to us

Let's just say between state and private corporation, there's no way in hell they will share info. It's like Church and State. It takes an act of God to get the cooperation needed between the two parties. By the way, even if California State comes up with the tracking system online, it means it will be another 10 years of charging heavy nominal yearly fees for boat owners before such a system development. Trust me. I know about state tracking system designs.

has to be about paying the employees overtime to stay and tag all the boats at the end of the day. MWD could care less, this is the operators of the lake, [private firm, not MWD], trying to cover costs, which go up every year. If this is the case, I would just rather pay at the Kiosk in the morning. It is expensive to run a business in California with workers comp, insurance, employee taxes ect..... Here is the really crummy part about this fee is that its still not going to get us into the lake at a normal early entry time. Went to Skinner last week, lake open at 6, [pretty dark still]. I would pay an extra $5.00 if they had Lake Perris hours. Has too be plenty of unemployed or retired folks in that area to have a couple of work shifts a day where they can have normal operating hours. Rick G.

There are private operators on the lake, but the MWD owns the lake, maintain it, and controls all the operations on the lake, including regulations that cross between federal, state, and local jurisdictions. MWD makes so much money that it boggles your mind. I have plenty of insiders' scoops. As for the "private operators' fees", it's used to provide necessities for anglers' activities. Rick G has a good insight in the situation. MWD covers its operation cost with the water storage. Any additional activity costs will be sustained by the "stakeholders". This include the MWD, County of Riverside, NRDC, CA WCB, very little from DFG, and US EPA general fund for state's water and environmental sustainability. By the way, the cost for the boat ramp repair and maintenance is contributed from 1/2 of the fees collected. Any repair and modification to the boat ramp is pretty substantial due to the cost associating to the permitting since it's next to the water of the US. Since there are a lot of bad apples of the anglers out there screwing up for the stakeholders, it's inevitable that the costs go up somewhere. Since boats are the primary occupying bodies in the lake, the fees go directly toward boat owners. If there were a larger opportunity for both shoreliners and boater to take advantage of the lake, the fees wouldn't have been noticed as an impact otherwise. Just my shiny penny tossed into the mix.

ddoskocil
09-26-2011, 10:14 AM
The other bad problem is if you pay for the tag, but then decide to fish somewhere else, it's $3 lost. That sucks, too.

ghost2uu
09-26-2011, 10:59 AM
God you guys. They can barely cover the marina store(if you can call it that, 2 people), the one person front kiosk, and boat rentals(three guys) with the 20 employees that show up at 4:30 a.m. even though the lake doesn't open until 6:30 am. How about that to stop the overtime? What the hell do they do for 2 hours before the lake opens? How about adding some part-timers that come in at noon and relieve the morning shift? How about opening the lake earlier like every other lake in California? How about the fact they don't care? I think everyone but me should start a boycott on the lake.

seal
09-26-2011, 11:46 AM
There are private operators on the lake, but the MWD owns the lake, maintain it, and controls all the operations on the lake, including regulations that cross between federal, state, and local jurisdictions. MWD makes so much money that it boggles your mind. I have plenty of insiders' scoops. As for the "private operators' fees", it's used to provide necessities for anglers' activities. Rick G has a good insight in the situation. MWD covers its operation cost with the water storage. Any additional activity costs will be sustained by the "stakeholders". This include the MWD, County of Riverside, NRDC, CA WCB, very little from DFG, and US EPA general fund for state's water and environmental sustainability. By the way, the cost for the boat ramp repair and maintenance is contributed from 1/2 of the fees collected. Any repair and modification to the boat ramp is pretty substantial due to the cost associating to the permitting since it's next to the water of the US. Since there are a lot of bad apples of the anglers out there screwing up for the stakeholders, it's inevitable that the costs go up somewhere. Since boats are the primary occupying bodies in the lake, the fees go directly toward boat owners. If there were a larger opportunity for both shoreliners and boater to take advantage of the lake, the fees wouldn't have been noticed as an impact otherwise. Just my shiny penny tossed into the mix.

I'm not sure what your point is on this one sorry to say, maybe I'm just dense.

There was supposed to be a larger opportunity for shore use and more recreational facilities that would have offset the operational costs, but everybody knows DVL was a bait and switch from the get go, most that was promised never was delivered, they just wanted the lakes approval once they got it from the voters that was it. They did deliver a great fishery but that was pretty much a one time cost with the exception of supplemental plants outside of the DFG plants but I'm sure those are coming out of operational revenue also. Just look at the temporary buildings/trailers they are using, I think they figured once they found out a way to eliminate fishing/boating they could just tow them away!

If the infrastructure would have been sufficient in the beginning there would have not been a need for a ramp extension so quick after the initial build out, low water years are the norm, highs and lows, so ramp should have been built to accomidate this unpredictability.

$7.00 entrance fee then $3.00 fishing fee, ok now if there were other activities at the lake I could see the need for a split fee but who pays 7 bucks to go into DVL just for a visit?

TheAsianGuy
09-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Seal, you're not dense, nor are you uneducated on your reasoning. You're pretty much right about the fees are getting to be ridiculous, but at the same time, think about the other smaller water bodies within the cities that charge $8 for entrance, and $4 to fish. The fees are merely funding to clean up after the messes left by the visitors, which includes manpower to clean (trash, toilets, and picnic areas), enforce (security), and maintain the recreation, set forth by MWD based on drinking water standards. $3 fee for a "Let me pass now" stamp got me doing the HUH?! at first glance. But that fee may be an offset for something that we may not be able to see upfront until someone on the inside gives us an insider scoop. They may just flat out say, hey, fee increase to $8 for entry, and $5 for fishing. Easier to swallow. $3 for a specialize stamp? Better be a freaking hologram spectacle. I rather take that entrance fee and invest in something more glorious, like a crank bait that I can use at Big Bear, Perris, Silverwood or smaller lakes that I don't have to pay to fish, or with better family activities.

ShellBack USNRET
09-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Words like "private operators' fees” “provide necessities for anglers' activities”, and "stakeholders” make my blood boil. We can drill down to where, what, and why our taxes, fees, and other costs go towards whatever or whoever for years and still not get to the real answer.

Sean, you spelled it out perfectly this was an obvious scheme and/or poor management from the onset. I’ve read articles about the reasons behind why the ramp fell short of the expected development, not to mention extra planned proposals, and the whole deal of getting this lake passed through the voters of Hemet and so have others.

By my inside info fees are, $7 entrance, $12 boat launch, and $3 fishing access permit. Add on another $3 for the tag and by my calculator that’s $25 for a day at the JEWEL. The Annual Pass went from $225 to $450. I paid $450 for my annual pass and they still want another $6 per day when I hit the lake. So what figures are you using? I’ll take the $13 fee if you put it in writing.

So, please don’t use the political talk when they feed us spam and swear to us that they paid filet mignon prices.

TheAsianGuy
09-26-2011, 07:21 PM
:LOL: don't worry. I'm not a political mole or the MWD employees..although, I wish I am. Big bucks job, and nearly impossible to get in. I'm with you on the straight spelling out of the fees. Rather than running around with the banters about new products for park's services, just say it straight out, fees are increased. Pay to use, or just stay away. By the way, the fishing license may, and the key word is may, increase another $25 down the pipeline from all the crazy budget discussion up in Sacramento. So, by next year, we may be spending $100 for our fishing licenses, with stamps and all.

ShellBack USNRET
09-27-2011, 01:34 AM
Who are we kidding; we can't make our voices heard by going through the inspections. All they have to do is tighten up on the inspections, fail you when you know the last lake fished was DVL and that will really make your day.

No working smarter not harder is the answer to this problem. They’re treating us like we don't have a voice, take it or leave it, but we do have a voice!

liteline
09-28-2011, 06:52 PM
What's the latest, is Last Chance doing anything about this?

Godwad
09-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Please settle down everyone! I'm pretty sure the boat tag fee is going to be used to offset the cost of building the toll booths on Angler ave and Searl pkwy.

Also with all the coming fall surface action there is talk of having the fisherman help with the entitlement program that pays for all the ospreys to fish the lake since they have no way to pay for themselves. Word is that there will be a $7 manditory donation jar that helps pay for their evironmantal impact and waves the coming no-fly zone over the lake.

Ahhh, whatever, most of you will probably gripe about next summers ice recycling fee for guys with ice chests too. Whats the BFD anyways? When the economy is this kick arse, who doesn't have money to throw in every direction.

dixoncider
09-28-2011, 08:50 PM
This is on there facebook page as of 10 hours ago.
"Since 2007, DVM has cooperated with Metropolitan in an effort to keep the waters of DVL open to the boating public while protecting against the threat of an infestation by AIS. The cost of providing inspection services is now the responsibility of Urban Park Concessionaires. The $3 per boat banding is in effort to help recover some inspection costs, which is a convenience offered by the Concessionaire. The banding is not required and does not keep the boater from re-entering DVL. The vessel upon re-entering is subject to a full inspection and must be presented “clean, drained and dry”.

ShellBack USNRET
09-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Yes, where is the help. There were a lot of big names mentioned on this thread. Is someone going to stand up for the little guy this time?

I say start another petition, and send it to MWD, EPA, UPC, our State Senators, District Reps, CNN, the local news media, and even Governor Brown. The petition could read something like this “Southern California Jewel, Diamond Valley Lake, places a $3 tax on boater’s who are showing their support in stopping the spread of Invasive Mussels".

Save your receipts and send them to Sacramento, and ask the Governor to reimburse the tag taxes for our efforts in helping keep the mussels out of a major water reservoir. Urban Park Concessionaires, MWD, and other STAKEHOLDERS, should be happy to see us return week after week and making the Jewel our exclusive recreational lake. DVM gets all my fishing fees plus they get to tax me for a tag that’s used to combat the spread of mussels. Something Fishy for sure!

You probably heard this story; Soldiers returning from the War were faced with a baggage fee from a major airline. These were bags used to transport their gear after spending months on end defending our Country. A few Soldiers started tweeting, blogging, and all that Social Media stuff. Do you know what happened, not only did they get an immediate apology from the airline, there bags flew for free. I am not comparing these taxes to our call to duty, the point is greed is an contagious foe that can only be controlled with resistance.

These days if you make your voice heard, wrongs become rights very quickly. The big guy can’t keep the little guy silent anymore.

Honestly, if we stand for this now, other lakes will chime in and start charging extra taxes. Who’s next Perris, Skinner, Silverwood, Hodges, Irvine, San Diego County lakes, and others. These taxes could spread faster than the mussels.

Maybe we need a Court to decide what’s legal and what’s excessive. DON’T BEND OVER!

dixoncider
09-28-2011, 10:21 PM
For what it's worth. I usually fish lake irvine..so dvl seems like a deal to me.. $25 for me and kid with a boat launch..seems ok..even with the extra $3 still cheaper than the vine. Just a different perspective on it..

NFCD I
09-29-2011, 06:56 AM
For what it's worth. I usually fish lake irvine..so dvl seems like a deal to me.. $25 for me and kid with a boat launch..seems ok..even with the extra $3 still cheaper than the vine. Just a different perspective on it..

DVL will be $28.00 for two in the boat with the $3.00 return fee. Where's the deal????

liteline
09-29-2011, 07:30 AM
I just read in the newspaper that Hemet lake will charge $7 for an inspection and $3 for banding. That lake is run by the same people as DVL. Maybe we havent heard the whole rapage.

dixoncider
09-29-2011, 07:50 AM
right now its $25 for me.. will be $28.. Irvine is $22 adults plus $10 boat launch plus $11 per kid.. so for ME...DVL will be $31 with me and 2 kids...Irvine is $54... covers the extra fuel for me.

bassgrabber1
09-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Like they said in previous posts......when a fee is hiked and people are still paying then why not hike it up again. I will stick with my beloved Lake Perris. I love that place!!! BTW...I sure there is a reason behind the fee raises that being said, the lake is for some but not all. I cant afford to fish it because of the fees and the fact that Perris is closer so I save on diesel.

DarkShadow
09-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Boycott dvl!

liteline
09-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Boycott dvl! I plan to. I live in Hemet so its going to cost me some fuel. How's the fishing at Perris?

pigdestroyer
09-29-2011, 03:28 PM
"Since 2007, DVM has cooperated with Metropolitan in an effort to keep the waters of DVL open to the boating public while protecting against the threat of an infestation by AIS. The cost of providing inspection services is now the responsibility of Urban Park Concessionaires. The $3 per boat banding is in effort to help recover some inspection costs, which is a convenience offered by the Concessionaire. The banding is not required and does not keep the boater from re-entering DVL. The vessel upon re-entering is subject to a full inspection and must be presented “clean, drained and dry”.

This is a major FU to the people who are regularly going to DVL and try to keep the lake mussel free. The fact that the people who are using the tag do not require an inspections completely contradicts the reasoning for the fee. Maybe they should consider charging $3 for inspections instead of sticking it to the loyal, responsible patrons.

bazzfisher47
09-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Three years ago, I paid $50.00 for an inspection, a 10 day quarantine and a cable and lock to be able to launch my boat and fish at Lake Casitas. This limited me to ONLY Lake Casitas if I didn't break the seal to visit another lake. Breaking the seal means another inspection, ten day quarantine and $15.00! Three dollars to re-visit Diamond Valley Lake seems a bargain!

liteline
09-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Three years ago, I paid $50.00 for an inspection, a 10 day quarantine and a cable and lock to be able to launch my boat and fish at Lake Casitas. This limited me to ONLY Lake Casitas if I didn't break the seal to visit another lake. Breaking the seal means another inspection, ten day quarantine and $15.00! Three dollars to re-visit Diamond Valley Lake seems a bargain!

Who are you, the guy that thought of this dressed as "little red riding hood". Just because you got raped by a big one does not mean that a small is OK.

fish-o-haulic
09-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Who are you, the guy that thought of this dressed as "little red riding hood". Just because you got raped by a big one does not mean that a small is OK.

I may be wrong but i think he was just stating his opinion.

seal
09-29-2011, 06:56 PM

Wow so Lake Casitas is the barometer for costs, enforcement and reaction to the mussel infestation? I think using Casitas as an example means that a boat in the future will only be able to launch in one lake, gee good idea that will do nothing to affect our economy or the future of sportfishing in Cali.

I know you were just making a point re: costs but Casitas is just way over the top!

ShellBack USNRET
09-29-2011, 06:59 PM

At $50 I feel for you, that was highway robbery. As long as you kept the tag on did you ever have to pay additional inspection or tag taxes at Casitas?

Calculator please, $450 for a season pass (12 months). It will take 24 visits to DVL to break even (use or lose). At $3 per tag for 24 visits, that's $72. My $72 (plus) versus your $50. I hope my precious JEWEL doesn't start charging a $7 Inspection tax.

So thanks for highlighting your point!

fish-o-haulic
09-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Being charged 50 dollars isnt highway robbery, its being in your car at a stop light and then 2 intimidating shady people walk up with uzi screaming at you to get out of the car and and leave the starbucks coffee that you just purchased in there too, and then watching them drive off.

seal
09-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Being charged 50 dollars isnt highway robbery, its being in your car at a stop light and then 2 intimidating shady people walk up with uzi screaming at you to get out of the car and and leave the starbucks coffee that you just purchased in there too, and then watching them drive off.

It's National Coffee day so maybe they were just too high on caffeine?

bazzfisher47
09-29-2011, 07:38 PM
No, "liteline", I'm NOT the one who thought of this. My point is that Casitas is managed by Metropolitan and if they can do this at Casitas and get away with it, what's to stop DVL or any other lake managed by Metro from following suite? I've since cut the tag from my boat and returned to DVL because I got tired of being "bent over"! By the way, I can expect a re-inspection, 10 day quarantine and a $15.00 fee IF i want to return to Casitas!

ShellBack USNRET
09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
No, "liteline", I'm NOT the one who thought of this. My point is that Casitas is managed by Metropolitan and if they can do this at Casitas and get away with it, what's to stop DVL or any other lake managed by Metro from following suite? I've since cut the tag from my boat and returned to DVL because I got tired of being "bent over"! By the way, I can expect a re-inspection, 10 day quarantine and a $15.00 fee IF i want to return to Casitas!

My dad called that being caught between a rock and a hard stone. Stick with the JEWEL and after your 17th visit you're at Casitas prices. Go back to Casitas and you're as quoted "Bend Over". You would think that one tag from a clean body of water controlled by the same water district is good for other clean water bodies under their jurisdiction, too simple right!

Casitas, Hemet, DVM, they all lead to MWD. Sounds like someone is trying to make it to the 2%ers on our dime. Who's making these decisions or as mentioned earlier, turning a blind eye.

Is there any legal Guru's on this thread. Can someone explain the authority over these reservoirs.

Aren't these public lakes fed by water supported by our license and taxes? What's the difference between Perris and DVM? Perris has much more concessions than DVM, and yet they manage to keep their costs down. Look at what Skinner offers in the way of amenities, yet reasonable costs. Diamond Valley has a outhouse, a mobile cart (store), 2 toll booths, and a dock that on a normal evening can cause serious damage to your boat. Trust me, I have several battle scars on my boat.

Why is a private organization being allowed to act as gate keeper charging excessive taxes to gain access to a body of water paid for by public funds.

From what I gather someone at MWD needs to be FIRED or VOTED OUT!

TopwaterTony
09-30-2011, 11:34 AM
At $50 I feel for you, that was highway robbery. As long as you kept the tag on did you ever have to pay additional inspection or tag taxes at Casitas?

Calculator please, $450 for a season pass (12 months). It will take 18 visits to DVL to break even (use or lose). At $3 per tag for 18 visits, that's $54. My $54 (plus) versus your $50. I hope my precious JEWEL doesn't start charging a $7 Inspection tax.

So thanks for highlighting your point!

You forgot the $3 per day angler fee as well, so another $54 for the 18 visits.

HawgStalker
09-30-2011, 08:36 PM
This thread makes me feel even more content to be walking the banks.....

fish-o-haulic
09-30-2011, 09:47 PM
This thread makes me feel even more content to be walking the banks.....

I know, glad i dont have a boat.

bassgrabber1
10-01-2011, 10:02 AM
I know, glad i dont have a boat.

Actually it makes me love Perris even more.....lol

bass413
10-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Actually it makes me love Perris even more.....lol

I think a lot more guys are going to be "loving" Lake Perris even more in the very near future....so long DVL, it's been fun (and expensive)....

dixoncider
10-02-2011, 04:55 AM
The guy at the gate told me that at some point in the future all these lake will be on the same computer system and the tags will be good from one to the other. That will also mean that if you get turned away at DVL that you would not be able to go to perris and get in. You CF# will be in the system and report your current status.