PDA

View Full Version : Newport 09-23-11 WO squid and yes for $20

cklovetofish
09-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Wide open squid for those who wants it. I got my limits by 8:15 (about 1 hour fishing). Skipper cooked up some calamary for us to try and I tell you, it is the best there is.
By 9:00 PM squid cleaning starts and ends at 12:15 AM. That's not all people took the limits, some only 5, some none. For 48 people, estimate 700~800 cleaned, 3 deckhands, and still took over 3 hours to clean. Total
Cleaning my limit costed a lot more than the trip. If you don't want it cleaned, you can ask them some bags and double bagged them. Only a few people on the boat did that.
Squids are not line shy, so the bigger the better. However, they were only 3 lbs to 8 lbs last night, so 15 lbs line should be adequate. Captain says fish all the way to bottom and that some times is 0ver 100 ft. I got all my within 10 ft of water. So, save your strength, go shallow.
Go get them. Be ware, the fish cleaning will kill you unless you fish and release in the mean time, and if you have the muscle for it.
Oh yeah, total count varies but I estimate we caught 1600 and only kept about half of that. And there were only a handful of fishermen keep on fishing while we clean the squid and those guys must have released over 300 squids.

ToonaTangler
09-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Thats sounds like alot of fun!! NOT!

JapanRon
09-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi cklovetofish,

Hope the moo-moos get back to sportfishing before next Wednesday !

tsurikichi

mil sonrisas
09-23-2011, 08:06 PM
where is this "$20" squid fishing? I've looked at some of the landings and have seen they are all the regular price. Never fished for squid before and would like to expirience it before i leave California. Thanks!

Fish Dog
09-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Kill as many as you can! They are raping our ocean. This is why we haven't had a decent local bite on anything in the past few years. Those damn things eat everything.

cklovetofish
09-24-2011, 09:35 AM
If you mention e-mail club member, it would automatic drop down to $20 instead of $45. But that applies to Thursday and Friday night only. It is too late now. But I think the squid was not plentiful as on Thursday last night.

catfish 17
09-24-2011, 02:38 PM
where is this "$20" squid fishing? I've looked at some of the landings and have seen they are all the regular price. Never fished for squid before and would like to expirience it before i leave California. Thanks!

Daveys locker & newport landing

jsl
09-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Kill as many as you can! They are raping our ocean. This is why we haven't had a decent local bite on anything in the past few years. Those damn things eat everything.

Absolutely correct. I'm a marine biology teacher and I would never condone the wanton killing of anything if you're not gonna eat it but Kill as many of these things as you can as they are a detriment to the local fauna.

Scott