PDA

View Full Version : SquidFest 2011

Jeremy Wade Jr
09-23-2011, 02:29 AM
I've heard of grunion runs, but has anybody ever heard of squid runs? started out fishing at Balboa Pier near sunset. Started off with a carolina rig + gulp sandworms.. I was noticing that I kept getting hits, but nothing was taking it whole.. it also didn't feel like a fish, it felt like a crab at first, kept holding on, then coming off.

It wasn't until night came that everybody picked up on what was going on... the water below the pier turned neon blue with shooting darts/squids all over the place.. i've never seen anything quite like it.. truly amazing, I didn't believe what I saw until it was confirmed.

http://www.sublogic.net/fishing/Balboa/squidcaught.jpg

By then everybody was landing them left and right.. I was kicking myself in the head for only bringing one fishing pole that day with 8# test.. I was the only one not catching them until it hit me.. I've got waders in my car.. why break my back yanking these suckers over the pier when I can just scoop them up off the beach... they were literally beaching themselves all along the coast. I was never a big fan of calamari, but giant squid? had to take a couple home.

http://www.sublogic.net/fishing/Balboa/squid.jpg

:Secret: :Envious:

FELIPE
09-23-2011, 06:02 AM
Nice... Whats that taste like? Dont seem like yer wearin waders or in the sand from that one
pick.

ZipperWurm
09-23-2011, 06:26 AM
wow! what a really cool and unexpected event...its crazy that they all came up to the beach, didn't know they got that close to shore.

DockRat
09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Saw it on the 11:00 pm news. Everybody hooking up.

How long can they last dead without ice before they start to go off ?
On the news people were filling buckets.

Nice... Whats that taste like?
Calamari.
DR

smokehound
09-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Uh oh, there go all the surfperch. =(

brad1
09-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Ya for sure perch are all toast!!!

labjet2000
09-23-2011, 04:35 PM
I haven't been around much on FNN since I haven't been fishing, but saw the news report and knew I'd get confirmation from FNN.

Save that squid... The Tijuana Restaurant that used to be on Olympic and Bundy had a huge Calamari Steak (8" x 4") that was smothered in a buttery garlic sauce and fork tender... BEST I'VE EVER HAD, and I sure miss it.

Hope the critters make their north to the Ventura Pier. Maybe I can grab a few. Thanks for the report and keep smiling... tight lines all around. Slack is for sissies.

Labjet

cklovetofish
09-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Went out to Balboa pier last night. There were over 200 people there with squid jigs. Only a few dozens small squid and maybe 5 giant squid are caught by 10 PM. I guess the squid marked the piers as WIPED-OUT area and did not come back in. Big diappointment for lots of families and kids.

Jeremy Wade Jr
09-25-2011, 06:01 PM
I gave my squid to my roommates and they did wonders with it.. just had boiled squid with shrimp and veggies.. damn that was good. I didn't realize these giant squid run about $15 a pop.. I gave most of them to my friends and just kept a couple for myself.. good eating for sure! sorry to hear that the harvest is gone' 200 people? dayum.. the night originally started off quiet.. little by little people were packing it up'

Karyn
09-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Those are some cool photos. So, if that is a big ice chest, they are what? 22-24 inches or so? Looks like they make a big mess! It all washes away though :)