PDA

View Full Version : Insane wide open squid 1000+ easy...go get them $20 boats newport

BALLERONBUDGET
09-22-2011, 11:33 PM
catch till ur sack rips open n catch some more.... each squid about 3 ft 3-5lbers. boat tossed over 150+dead back no one wanted any more....... bring $$$ for cleaning , disposable clothes that will be soaking wet afterwards or waterproof poncho/pants/boots, ink n sprays entire 3hrs... good times

Ifishtoolittle
09-22-2011, 11:41 PM
What lb test were you using? And squid jigs right?

manuel149
09-23-2011, 01:54 AM
I saw on the news they were swarming @ Newport pier.

BALLERONBUDGET
09-23-2011, 07:24 AM
40lb recommened. heavy duty pole helps....squid jigs $10 most stores, add leader line 2ft and weight. sack filled after 1hr ... yeah that many. seas of them all over coast line

Cartman
09-23-2011, 07:42 AM
40lb recommened. heavy duty pole helps....squid jigs $10 most stores, add leader line 2ft and weight. sack filled after 1hr ... yeah that many. seas of them all over coast line

Baller, what do you do with all the squid you catch?

BALLERONBUDGET
09-23-2011, 08:29 AM
give away/ future bait/ cook up a batch or two....; even if a plate doesnt come out right ull have 25more lbs of filets to play with till u get it right! its kill all squid or you will see fish counts drop for next couple months and forget about day boats anywhere in the area....... carniverous like mackeral attack anything in the water 10fold . followd our boat like seagulls for scraps. deck hands gaffing them aboard even without rods /reels. again that many!

smokehound
09-23-2011, 09:20 AM
I would go, but I dont like being forced to pay for cleaning.. unless they arent doing that any more. I remembered one of the landings not letting you take your squid home whole.

vince
09-23-2011, 11:31 AM
It is not the captain/deckhands/boats call to force you to have your fish cleaned. ALOT of landings that is controlled by the city DOES NOT want squid ink on the walkways, and anywhere because it is very hard to clean. The city will fine the boats if they do not have them cleaned. You can ask the deckhands for bags to bag your fish so that it does not scatter the ink on the lot. To help the crew that works so hard for our enjoyment, it is just customary to give a small fee for the bags...AND NO, I am not a deckhand. Many times, misunderstanding is the cause of confusion, and hatred.

smokehound
09-23-2011, 12:08 PM
It is not the captain/deckhands/boats call to force you to have your fish cleaned. ALOT of landings that is controlled by the city DOES NOT want squid ink on the walkways, and anywhere because it is very hard to clean. The city will fine the boats if they do not have them cleaned. You can ask the deckhands for bags to bag your fish so that it does not scatter the ink on the lot. To help the crew that works so hard for our enjoyment, it is just customary to give a small fee for the bags...AND NO, I am not a deckhand. Many times, misunderstanding is the cause of confusion, and hatred. I simply do not have the money for such trivial things. If I can bring my own extra-large freezer bags, (I have a few that are six-feet long) and dont have to pay any additional fees, it's all good.

Bindizel
09-23-2011, 04:30 PM
How did you guys get the ticks for $20. Me and my dad wanted to go :)

JapanRon
09-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Hey Guys,

Catch, cut off body at rail, drop down after knocking off head, catch another. Please repeat the entire trip !!

A losing battle but revenge is sweet !! Outta be paid to do this to someone rescue what we have left of our finfish fishery here locally. They're in Newport harbor ..... Spotties ...... Piers .... so much for the Perch !!

Wonderful ....... we really need these things !!

JapanRon

BALLERONBUDGET
09-23-2011, 05:59 PM
yup slice and dice instead of filling ur sack with wholes.... funny deck hands got pissy cuz they want ur $2-$3 each clean and complain ur "dirtying" their ink filled deck! on aside note . deck hands tossing broken and ripped sacks overboard??? saw more than 10-20 bags tossed into np harbor WTF ??? how lazy can u be to not toss it in trash or maybe they dont want that extra weight in their trash bag ??? they want ur cash $$$ if u dont mind dishing out another $40-$50 which is a joke if u want to pay more for cleaning than wat u paid for ticket price.... they dont tell u fish cleaning price till after u board boat , which they should even b4 u buy ur tix.

vince
09-24-2011, 06:51 AM
I suppose my experience on the Enterprise on a Thursday trip out of Long Beach Marina was a little different. Capt Andy told the passengers that if they do not want their catch of squid cleaned, to make sure that they are brought up the ramp on the cart. So everyone that did not have their catch cleaned, just loaded their sacks on the carts. I know there are some deckhand practices that makes us frown and frustrate us because what we see is usually contradicting what they are "preaching". Some preach conservation, then you see them throw certain things that could end up at the beach. Maybe they should be educated about these things. What do you think, captains/proprietors? Teach your deckhands professionalism. Many of the deckhands did not finish High school, or have become callous about the environment. WOW. Squid topic turning into deckhands attitudes. So far, what I have seen on the Enterprise is what I want all other deckhands to learn, professionalism. And yes, everyone could use to practice it all the time.

BALLERONBUDGET
09-24-2011, 09:07 AM
prob so us fisherman dont dirty up their too nice streets/ or put ink in their harbor waters with their million $$$ yachts....; :Twisted: personally dont think po po or harbor patrol gonna check every sack leaving boat or wait for midnite boats to return each night...; maybe they shud be thanking us instead . other city laws may differ from boats coming from other ports..

Thisfool
09-24-2011, 09:29 AM
was out at the pier last night for 4 8-12 hours only caught one 8inch squid and only seen about 4 3-4lb squid get caught.

jiggaman
09-27-2011, 03:15 PM
40 lb??????? for a three pound squid lol

hoytrecurver
09-30-2011, 06:35 PM
I caught some off of Balboa pier last Friday using my 15# spinning rod. They fought like crazy and thought they would break my line. Took me a few minutes just to reel them all the way up the pier. I had my casting rod filled with 25# but had trouble with my drag. It was my first time catching fish with it and haven't dialed in the reel yet. They started to come in around 11pm and came in swarms. Everyone was catching left and right. Large squid jigs and glow sticks were the ticket. I'll be ready the next time they come around.

hoytrecurver
09-30-2011, 06:40 PM
40 lb??????? for a three pound squid lol

I talked to one of the workers at Save-On Tackle and he said it was to make sure you don't lose your $10-25 jig. He also added that squid weren't line shy. He did mention that he hasn't seen squid at the piers for about 20 years.

BALLERONBUDGET
09-30-2011, 08:02 PM
yeah.... last years squid for leg long easy 10lb +models... ones we caught opening nite were as long as ur arm .....; also gotta factor in water weight propulsion and spray before u pull em out......it was all shower n ink on deck!!!!!!!! look at pics posted up. diff swarms in h20 diff sizes out there.. enjoy da fight... , like pulling on a spare tire from bottom of ocean..

JigStop
10-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Glad to see the true Humbolt's are back. I got tired of trying to eat the 60lber's. Taste like urine smells.