PDA

View Full Version : My First Visit to Hansen Dam

Cartman
09-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Looking for a lake that actually has water in it I checked out Hansen Dam for the first time. I had a great day fishing, but not so good catching. Hansen essentially looks like a huge square swimming pool, but I learned that it is sort of bowl-shaped and is as deep as 16 feet toward the center. Fishing a slip bobber I hit deeper than 12 feet. No bites on bonita bits or red worms in the deep. Caught one catfish about 12 feet from shore in the shallows (probably around four feet) on carp bait. I guess it was a stocker about the size people would say was two pounds. I ended up giving it away to another guy who had caught one cat. Whacha gonna do with one catfish, anyway? Seems everytime I use carp bait, I catch cats. Never caught a carp on anything but corn.

It was a great lake for fishing because of the community of anglers there. It seemed like everybody there knew everybody else. It made for a real friendly atmosphere with people yelling across the lake at each other, though, like I said, not a lot of catching going on. I saw three cats and a couple of baby bass caught. Except for getting fried out there (NO shade) I had a great time. With its depth I am sure it will be a good lake to visit once they start stocking trout.

BALLERONBUDGET
09-22-2011, 11:41 PM
few cats/bass in there if u can find them.... but there are family of huge carp that pop surface by lauch ramp usually by mid afternoon ... huge as in easily 10lbers....they break surface and nice golden color...; btw hansen is the only lake i kno free to launch tube/yak/boat.... even with trolling motor. +free parking...what other lake allows u to do that???? so all in all nice and small ,but even nicer when trout truck visits.

FELIPE
09-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Cool i was thinkn bout goin there some time soon. Whats the dfg`s stocking schedule for this dam? Right off the 210 right?

Cartman
09-23-2011, 07:37 AM
few cats/bass in there if u can find them.... but there are family of huge carp that pop surface by lauch ramp usually by mid afternoon ... huge as in easily 10lbers....they break surface and nice golden color...; btw hansen is the only lake i kno free to launch tube/yak/boat.... even with trolling motor. +free parking...what other lake allows u to do that???? so all in all nice and small ,but even nicer when trout truck visits.

Oh yeah. I'm thinking it will not be so hard taking home a limit of trout from that lake. That's what I heard, carp up to 10 pounds. I asked the lifeguard about tubing. He said you can put a canoe in, but no tubes. I wonder why they won't allow tubes if they will allow canoes and I assume kayaks as well.

Cartman
09-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Cool i was thinkn bout goin there some time soon. Whats the dfg`s stocking schedule for this dam? Right off the 210 right?

You can find the DFG stocking schedule at the DFG website. Some lakes are stocked by other agencies as well. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but San Bernadino County lakes are stocked weekly by their own trucks. Irvine and SARL lakes are private and stock on their own schedule. I think Jess Ranch stocks weekly as well, but they are only open on weekends.

BALLERONBUDGET
09-23-2011, 08:20 AM
ive heard u can tube there., but personally hvnt seen it.. think it depends which young buck lifeguard working some got more big cheese ego than others..... if even seen those $20 big 5 inflatables there .. as long as u hv lifejacket u shud be good to go.

white belt
09-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Is the catfish derby this weekend? I think I'm going to fish Hansen on Sunday!

reservoir dog
09-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Catfish are weird there, they don't bite often but when they do...I've caught one on a plastic grub while trying to fish for LMB. And a friend of mine also caught one on a spinnerbait. No monster cats there, just your average stocker size.

etucker1959
09-23-2011, 03:19 PM
You can find the DFG stocking schedule at the DFG website. Some lakes are stocked by other agencies as well. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but San Bernadino County lakes are stocked weekly by their own trucks. Irvine and SARL lakes are private and stock on their own schedule. I think Jess Ranch stocks weekly as well, but they are only open on weekends.

Your real close at being right about everything. The one exception is the San Bernadino County lakes. Catfish season is Memorial Day -Labor Day. Trout season Nov-April weekly stockings by the county, DFG stockings every other week same time period. The DFG is now stocking catfish 3 times a month in different zones. This week was Orange County, next week will be North LA County including Hansen Dam. You missed the catfish stocking by one week sorry.

snakeplissken
09-23-2011, 07:38 PM
there is tubing allowed there , gentlemen...i know cause i've done it...you just need your life vest. those lifeguards don't know what they're yapping about.

HBAR
09-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah what snake said, we've both have tubed/tooned it and the lifeguards have a hard on for PFD's huh snake?, some of these lifeguards are on a power trip, some are cool, but just make sure you are wearing it. not sure where you got 16ft from but my Humminbird shows 14ft flat left to right up down all around, as well there are 4 pipes one in each corner and over by the rocks there's a 55 gallon drum, snake and I found out first hand as my anchor had gone right through the hold and I pulled it up, he released it, hey snake remember "if I see a dam head coming out with your rope I'm out of here".

Cartman
09-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Your real close at being right about everything. The one exception is the San Bernadino County lakes. Catfish season is Memorial Day -Labor Day. Trout season Nov-April weekly stockings by the county, DFG stockings every other week same time period. The DFG is now stocking catfish 3 times a month in different zones. This week was Orange County, next week will be North LA County including Hansen Dam. You missed the catfish stocking by one week sorry.

Very useful information, thanks. It didn't matter much to me if I missed a stocking at Hansen. I usually have low expectations of catching anything on my first visit to a lake.

Cartman
09-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Yeah what snake said, we've both have tubed/tooned it and the lifeguards have a hard on for PFD's huh snake?, some of these lifeguards are on a power trip, some are cool, but just make sure you are wearing it. not sure where you got 16ft from but my Humminbird shows 14ft flat left to right up down all around, as well there are 4 pipes one in each corner and over by the rocks there's a 55 gallon drum, snake and I found out first hand as my anchor had gone right through the hold and I pulled it up, he released it, hey snake remember "if I see a dam head coming out with your rope I'm out of here".

Thanks, Hbar. Excellent information. What is the slope like down to the 14'? It seems pretty steep. I think it was four or five feet just a few feet from shore.

HBAR
09-25-2011, 12:37 PM
It gradually slopes down from shore once you get out about 20ft or so it's flat 14ft all the way across, hit me or snake up next time you go, we'll try to meet you out there. I'll be gone from the 6th-11th going to june lake.

Cartman
09-25-2011, 01:37 PM
It gradually slopes down from shore once you get out about 20ft or so it's flat 14ft all the way across, hit me or snake up next time you go, we'll try to meet you out there. I'll be gone from the 6th-11th going to june lake.

That would be cool. Thanks. June Lake in October? Ain't that gonna be a bit chilly?
:Cold Fishing:

HBAR
09-25-2011, 04:24 PM
If it is or isn't I don't care, it's to make up for a trip I won that I couldn't afford to go on (other expenses). I'll give some shout outs to people responsible when we get back if all goes well.

snakeplissken
09-26-2011, 02:08 PM
HBAR , i seriously thought you had snagged a body or something cause it was dead weight. but we got a good laugh out of it.

HBAR
09-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Dead weight? F'er you were way the heck on the other side fishin the flats loosing my gear cuz you couldn't hook the bass, Justin went to go find you and then so did I. I bet you wished you had stayed there instead of venturing off once you got back and saw what I had landed, heck what was that guys name that helped me land the big girl, Tony? Wasn't that what you were suppose to do mr. :Skunk: HAHA