PDA

View Full Version : Stream Fishing near Oak Glen Apple Farms

carpanglerdude
09-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Hey everyone,

I'll be up at the Oak Glen apple farms area (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=oak+glen+california&hl=en&ll=34.043805,-116.943519&spn=0.013673,0.01929&sll=45.654526,-122.657365&sspn=0.005587,0.013733&vpsrc=6&gl=us&t=h&z=16) soon. Are there any small tributaries or streams in that region with trout fishing? PM me if you would rather do so. Thanks!

cjschock
09-22-2011, 09:16 PM
I don't think there is anything in oak glenn but you can shoot up the 38 after and fish the santa ana river or jenks lake. It is about 30 minutes away

RTG
09-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Lots of places up the hill, but check the status of Highway 38. It's been closed due to a tanker crash and gasoline spill at Forsee Creek. By the way Forsee Creek has lots of small browns in it. It's near Camp Cedar Falls, past Angelus Oaks. You can also try the Santa Ana River and Bear Creek near Seven Oaks, but be aware that Bear Creek has special regs. Jenks Lake is nice, but can get crowded on weekends. If Hwy 38 is closed you can try Mountain Home Creek just above Yucaipa at Mountain Home Village. It has lots of little wild rainbows. It is below the closure. Only fishing in Oak Glen is "kiddie" pay ponds.

Viejo
09-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Great info. You only left out a few and shared some that hardly ever get fished. Good directions to those tiny little creeks that can take all kinds of pressure!

seal
09-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Great info. You only left out a few and shared some that hardly ever get fished. Good directions to those tiny little creeks that can take all kinds of pressure!

I think only one of the creeks mentioned is not very well known:Rolls Eyes:.

carpanglerdude
09-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the info; very much appreciated!

Glad you found this useful. kthnxbai.

Viejo
09-23-2011, 09:40 PM
PM would have been the appropriate way to share those smaller creeks. Two of them are just tiny, skinny waters that don't do well with lures or much pressure. The San Bernardino National Forest is one of the three most heavily impacted urban interface forests in the nation. A certain creek was once a pristine wild trout stream and now is an absolute dump during the summer months thanks to postings on the internet. The trash, damming of the creek, broken glass and a coliform count that is off the chart from the fecal matter in the water are a direct result of too many people using a resource inappropriately. The days of inviting everyone in cyberspace to share your fishing spots are gone. You want to give out the good spots? Use PM's....search engines can't find the info there.

RTG
09-24-2011, 09:24 AM
PM would have been the appropriate way to share those smaller creeks. Two of them are just tiny, skinny waters that don't do well with lures or much pressure. The San Bernardino National Forest is one of the three most heavily impacted urban interface forests in the nation. A certain creek was once a pristine wild trout stream and now is an absolute dump during the summer months thanks to postings on the internet. The trash, damming of the creek, broken glass and a coliform count that is off the chart from the fecal matter in the water are a direct result of too many people using a resource inappropriately. The days of inviting everyone in cyberspace to share your fishing spots are gone. You want to give out the good spots? Use PM's....search engines can't find the info there.

Those two little creeks are not any big secret. They are located right off Highway 38, as you know. But I'm sure you found them all by yourself. Yep. All your fishing spots were discovered by you during your expeditions. Know one ever gave you a spot. I've got a few others up my sleeve that I'll keep to myself. But I don't need to tell you-you have already found all of them by yourself.

Viejo
09-24-2011, 11:27 AM
I'll pretty much stand on the fact that a PM would have accomplished the same mission as the OP suggested. The little creeks you mentioned simply cannot tolerate a great deal of pressure and most who would fish them will be disappointed by the constant snags, the stinging nettles, poison oak and spiny branches and tiny 4" fish. We obviously have a difference of opinion on how much information is too much. I get tired of seeing the worm boxes left all along those waters with special regs. Lots of people have given me their secret spots and I don't post them on the internet. They are cherished and passed along to people once you learn something about their fishing ethics.

fish-o-haulic
09-24-2011, 12:00 PM
hate to say it but rtg is right. people find out about these places anyway. all you do by not sharing it on this forum is eliminating one of the other thousands of ways they could of found out about them.

Viejo
09-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Guys....you are free to out any great little fishing creeks you wish if that's your thing. Writers like Richard Bean do it every month in the magazines. I disagree with both of you. I believe that our local resources are getting hammered enough (and there is clear, empirical evidence of that) without inviting five hundred more people to come. As the Forest, State and County budgets shrink, there will be no more monitoring of these areas and no one to clean the mess they leave behind....it's happening as we speak.

MexicanPistachio
09-24-2011, 01:29 PM
you can give mill creek a try, its 10-15 from oak glen. when i was in high school we would fish it everyday after class. back in the day the dfg stocked it at mountain home village. we would build little dams and swim/fish in the warmer months.

seal
09-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Guys....you are free to out any great little fishing creeks you wish if that's your thing. Writers like Richard Bean do it every month in the magazines. I disagree with both of you. I believe that our local resources are getting hammered enough (and there is clear, empirical evidence of that) without inviting five hundred more people to come. As the Forest, State and County budgets shrink, there will be no more monitoring of these areas and no one to clean the mess they leave behind....it's happening as we speak.

Yes you have a point, but the way you go about trying to spread your concerns (sarcastic comments and over the top concern when very well known areas are talked about) does not make your points come across very well. This is nowhere near the 1st time you've posted sarcastic or negative responses, doesn't seem to matter what small body of water in So Cal is discussed.

I'm all for your concerns and follow your rules when it comes to not publicizing reports from small bodies of water but I won't critique others for sharing information, we all have our rules about Internet posting some are more liberal than others.

Oh and that PM suggestion you made is a fantastic one, if you would have PM'd RTG or others with your concerns it might have a more positive impact, just a thought.

teejay
09-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Lots of places up the hill... but be aware that Bear Creek has special regs.

I feel that the DFG should stop stocking all the streams in So. Cal and put them all under special regs. IMHO

fish-o-haulic
09-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Yes you have a point, but the way you go about trying to spread your concerns (sarcastic comments and over the top concern when very well known areas are talked about) does not make your points come across very well. This is nowhere near the 1st time you've posted sarcastic or negative responses, doesn't seem to matter what small body of water in So Cal is discussed.

I'm all for your concerns and follow your rules when it comes to not publicizing reports from small bodies of water but I won't critique others for sharing information, we all have our rules about Internet posting some are more liberal than others.

Oh and that PM suggestion you made is a fantastic one, if you would have PM'd RTG or others with your concerns it might have a more positive impact, just a thought.

I dont disagree with viejo and dont mind him not posting just saying not posting on fnn isnt saving anything cuz what you find here youll find somewhere else. so living with the dillusion that you not posting is stopping hundreds from not fishing that creek isnt true. hes just eliminating one source.

RTG
09-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Look guys, I understand everyone's concerns. However, I didn't post any SECRET spot. Many know about these two little creeks, but many don't bother with them because of what Viejo said- snags, stickers, poison oak (maybe) and very small fish. In my experience most fishermen around here want to wait for the DFG truck and prefer an easy limit of stockers.
I, like a lot of you, have some killer "secret" spots that I won't give up- not a lot, but a few really good ones. I sure didn't think Mountain Home Creek and Forsee Creeks would cause so much controversy. Again, those two creeks are very well known, just not utilized. Didn't mean to "P-O" anyone by that. I've been out this way a long time and have first-hand knowledge to a lot of "goings-on", both fishing and hunting. But lesson learned. I'll try to keep my big mouth shut...and no sarcasm intended on my part to anyone.

IncredibleHuck
09-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Look guys, I understand everyone's concerns. However, I didn't post any SECRET spot. Many know about these two little creeks, but many don't bother with them because of what Viejo said- snags, stickers, poison oak (maybe) and very small fish. In my experience most fishermen around here want to wait for the DFG truck and prefer an easy limit of stockers.
I, like a lot of you, have some killer "secret" spots that I won't give up- not a lot, but a few really good ones. I sure didn't think Mountain Home Creek and Forsee Creeks would cause so much controversy. Again, those two creeks are very well known, just not utilized. Didn't mean to "P-O" anyone by that. I've been out this way a long time and have first-hand knowledge to a lot of "goings-on", both fishing and hunting. But lesson learned. I'll try to keep my big mouth shut...and no sarcasm intended on my part to anyone.

Don't worry about it. Some people get butt hurt more then others here. The two creeks you mentioned a TON of people know about and dont fish them for the reasons you stated.

heydaad
09-29-2011, 12:43 PM
I don't know how many of you have seen the demise of fruitful information posted on other boards from this kind of rhetoric. Someone shared a few spots with another, that's it. It's not going to bring in hundreds of fisherman to ruin a spot. A few years ago I was sharing a few way-points off my GPS on another board to a "newbie" ... rockpiles and ledges off Newport and HB Flats. I was inundated with threats and harassment. Some of you are acting like it's YOUR spot, and you are being violated by someone else mentioning it. Get over yourselves ... we all enjoy fishing, and sharing spots and info. is part of the enjoyment of the sport.

carpanglerdude
09-29-2011, 06:51 PM
^ Well said.

jdietze
10-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I wholeheartedly agree, would give a the native rainbows a chance to get to healthy levels again...

Tom
10-11-2011, 08:35 AM
How is it that Forsee and Mountian home Are Secrects?? I fished them in 1968 and they had less native fish back then than they do now. Fishing pressure was shoulder to shoulder in 1972 when they stocked Mountian Home.....still lots of Fish Today
These creeks have NEVER been fished out..NEVER
We had More trout fishermen in the late 60s and early 70s fishing our small creeks than we do now.
people used to get OFF the beaten path....Nowdays we are lazy and just do Drive up waters

These creeks have always had fish and have NEVER been a secret to anyone other than the NEW guys..under 30 years old

And their ARE a FEW browns left in Mountian home..near where it intersects with East fork Mountian home.
The browns numbers are not Down because of pressure..but due Rainbows out competing for food which is scarce

98% of the fishermen Never catch a Fish on either creek.... they dont have the Skills

Secrets?? only for a few guys that want a secret spot to themselves
Funny how some guys figured out Google earth and now they have the SECRETS
A real Fishermen.."Sportsmen" Help others learn how to catch these fish and teach...LIMIT your Kill ...
dont KILL your LIMIT..show them the streams and teach them
Using PM's is telling us you want to SENSOR your SECRETS to your Special freinds..which is YOUR right

But it is Others Right to TELL thier spots....without a MOUTH from you

Maybe i could get back into this and do a SEMINAR at Bass pro shops on How to catch fish in small streams in San Bernardino mountian waters

I'll pretty much stand on the fact that a PM would have accomplished the same mission as the OP suggested. The little creeks you mentioned simply cannot tolerate a great deal of pressure and most who would fish them will be disappointed by the constant snags, the stinging nettles, poison oak and spiny branches and tiny 4" fish. We obviously have a difference of opinion on how much information is too much. I get tired of seeing the worm boxes left all along those waters with special regs. Lots of people have given me their secret spots and I don't post them on the internet. They are cherished and passed along to people once you learn something about their fishing ethics.

ordane
10-11-2011, 12:02 PM
98% of the fishermen Never catch a Fish on either creek.... they dont have the Skills

Maybe i could get back into this and do a SEMINAR at Bass pro shops on How to catch fish in small streams in San Bernardino mountian waters
After reading this post, I would gladly attend your seminar!

I love the Streams/Creeks in the San Bernardino Mountains! I haven't had the best of luck stream fishing but I enjoy the enviornment of it and could care less wether I get skunked. I think a lot of the trash and problems that occur there aren't just Fisherman. There are lots of people who go out there to swim, ride the ORV trails, hike or even just have a beer near some moving water... A lot of other people use these resources. Where do they find that information? Anywhere and everywhere. The first time I went to Deep Creek wasn't even to fish, It was because I heard you can Cliff Dive from a google search. These spots are easy to find, especially on non-fishing forums!

Viejo
10-11-2011, 12:34 PM
The seminar is already being done by Richard Bean and Jim Matthews.

From Dockrat on another thread quoting Dana:

"In 2008 Dana (RIP) Team 57 founder wrote;

Hi everyone!

First and foremost, I want to thank each and every one of you for all the support you give FISHING NETWORK and TEAM 57. I know I've said this many times before.... but it's the members that make FNN such a great place!

We've had debate after debate concerning "lurkers" and thread after thread concerning having an open or closed forum. Members on BOTH sides of the argument have made some very good points.

I DO understand the argument of how a highly viewed thread can impact a particular lake or a particular fishing spot if and when numerous detailed reports are shared.

In my opinion, the member who posts his or her report, always has the option of not sharing specifics along with location revealing photos. I for one am certainly capable of reporting my day on the water without giving up so much information that it will have an adverse impact on my particular spot.

IMO... its just a matter of using common sense.

Thank you Dana"
DR

IncredibleHuck
10-11-2011, 12:59 PM
How is it that Forsee and Mountian home Are Secrects?? I fished them in 1968 and they had less native fish back then than they do now. Fishing pressure was shoulder to shoulder in 1972 when they stocked Mountian Home.....still lots of Fish Today
These creeks have NEVER been fished out..NEVER
We had More trout fishermen in the late 60s and early 70s fishing our small creeks than we do now.
people used to get OFF the beaten path....Nowdays we are lazy and just do Drive up waters

These creeks have always had fish and have NEVER been a secret to anyone other than the NEW guys..under 30 years old

And their ARE a FEW browns left in Mountian home..near where it intersects with East fork Mountian home.
The browns numbers are not Down because of pressure..but due Rainbows out competing for food which is scarce

Secrets?? only for a few guys that want a secret spot to themselves
Funny how some guys figured out Google earth and now they have the SECRETS
A real Fishermen.."Sportsmen" Help others learn how to catch these fish and teach...LIMIT your Kill ...
dont KILL your LIMIT..show them the streams and teach them
Using PM's is telling us you want to SENSOR your SECRETS to your Special freinds..which is YOUR right

But it is Others Right to TELL thier spots....without a MOUTH from you

I agree with you Tom. I've been fishing these areas since I was about 8 years old in '88', and people now days are so lazy, that most just want to fish off the side of the road, and have no intentions of hiking in.