PDA

View Full Version : Anchor questions for DVL?

Pooldude
09-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Hi: I am looking for some advice when it comes to the type & size anchor I should get for my boat, which is a 18'6" Triton Bass Boat. I had no idea those boats that I see all grouped together out there at DVL (fishing for Stripers) were anchored as I "assumed" it was to deep there to anchor. I'm getting ready to go Striper fishing for the first time on Tues. & the fellow that I'm going with ask if I had an anchor. When I told him I did not, he suggested that I get one. My questions are: what style, what size, & how much anchor line? Thank you! :???:

Fusionwerks
09-22-2011, 09:59 AM
i use a chene anchor and it works for my 18' 7" champion. as long as you are using it in no more than 20-30'. it drags for a while, but it will hook up on most spots at DVL. it works good because the design keeps it from getting stuck. i see a lot of people dropping the grapling style anchor. as for line, i think the 3/8 nylon works just fine. as for length...well that depends on how deep you are going to fish. right now the popular spot along the bouy line runs about 50-150' deep, but remember an anchor doesnt always hold completely vertical so you need extra line to account for the angle. or you could just do like everyone else and tie off to the bouy line and keep an eye out for everyones best friend in the pontoon boat... "you guys just dont respect me!":Angry:

Pooldude
09-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the advice.

dixoncider
09-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Navy anchor has been working well for me.. If you want to anchor deep you need a fair amout of chain also. So for 200' of water you would want at least a 15-25 pound navy anchor 20' of chain and 300' of line..