PDA

View Full Version : Frog fishing Perris Wednesday session.

bassgrabber1
09-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Steve and I went out from 1:30 till 6:30....its getting dark earlier now. We hit our usual spot at first for no love. We then hit the east end and found some fish but not like it has been....the normal dinks are now gone and better quality fish are coming into the shallows. I caught 1 on a 9" worm and Steve on a fluke but still wasn't the bite I was looking for. The whole yime that we were on the Eastend , we kept seeing huge crashes on the surface of the grass mats. So I decided to throw on a frog and man it payed off!!! I was getting blown up on every 3rd cast or so. I lost a huge bucket mouth......I set the hook and he surfaced and his mouth was huge!! He then took me down into the grass and snapped me off...took the frog and all. I was using 10lbs test and wasn't prepared for frog fishing so when I caught another fish I took my time and loosened thedrag......needless to say it took like almost 10 minutes to get him oput of the grass. I had a total of about 5 blowups in a matter of 30 minutes......that there is some fun fishing! Oh the water was 81*.

TheAsianGuy
09-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Nice work James and Steve! 10lbs and snapped? DANG! Looks like I need to up my line from 4lbs to at least 8lbs for these possible monsters' hookups. One of them destroyed my pole earlier, and that pole wasn't aiming for them either. Frog heh? Got to get one for the fun of trying. Not my thing to use plastics. Maybe searching for a few live ones in the Santa Ana later..frog hunting time!

HawgStalker
09-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Nice report! I love fishing topwater frogs.....

I gotta get to Perris!

tagg27
09-22-2011, 03:51 PM
James & Steve on the prowl. WTG! Been out of town for awhile but nice to see LP still kickin out LMB. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can finally get out to the lake.

bassgrabber1
09-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Jeff....in the next few weeks Fall will be in full swing....you will be catching some pigs then. Let me know when you wanna go out and we will plan it. Call me brutha when you are ready.

tagg27
09-22-2011, 06:51 PM
You got it. Maybe next week.

Kelster
09-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Good to see the east end coming back. I had a lot of fun on that end earlier this year.
Glad you are still having fun out there and trying all kinds of things to get the bite.

carpanglerdude
09-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Frog fishing is the BEST! Would love to see you guys out there sometime

bassgrabber1
09-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Frog fishing is the BEST! Would love to see you guys out there sometime

Yeah dude....I haven't seen you in a while. Have you been out go Perris?

carpanglerdude
09-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Haven't been back in almost 2 months. Was only getting dinks from the shore, fun, but not much size to 'em. I think I need a tube to get in on the action.

bassgrabber1
09-23-2011, 10:03 PM
No tube needed bro. Check out Kotton posts and mestre's post....they have don't well from shore.

TheAsianGuy
09-24-2011, 12:04 PM
No tube needed bro. Check out Kotton posts and mestre's post....they have don't well from shore.

Hey James, what frog did you use? Weedless rig kind? Where did you get it? Saw one at Walmart and a bucket load at BassPro. The plastic material looks flimsy, easily ripped by the basses.

bassgrabber1
09-24-2011, 04:50 PM
I was fly lining the BPS plastic ones with a 4/0 wide gap.....I bought the Creme brand frog at Walmart so I will be throwing that tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

TheAsianGuy
09-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Best of hunt to you. Make sure you report back on its effectiveness.

Matt_Magnone
10-16-2011, 09:42 PM
just happened to see this post. i know i know, its couple weeks old. i would jump your line size to 65# braid if you're fishing the frog. far less failure, better response and solid hook ups. if you're throwing more openwater i like to frog with a thin diameter 50#. casts a little better than the 65# and is easier to maneuver. if you're just gonna fish the soft plastic horny toad style frogs, you can still use the braid and just leader off with 12 to 15# mono without having to freak about having two dedicated rods. the mono will work wonders on those styles of baits.

just throwing a little tip out there to make your trips rad! hope this helps!

TheAsianGuy
10-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks Matt. Will try it with my heavy-medium setup. Lost one of my toad in the tules with the 10lbs mono.