PDA

View Full Version : Need to register trailer. help!!!!

fishfinder
09-19-2011, 09:29 PM
I have a friend with an old boat traile that was on his property when he bought the house. back in 1998. He now wants to register it so he can put his 12' boat on it. I don't see any serial numbers or anything on it, and lisence plate either. It might even be homade. What does he have to do to register it. I thought I would ask here before he go's to the DMV and tells them the wrong thing.

Troutman65
09-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Maybe try the DMV website They may have an answer for you there or you might be able to ask a question.

Socal Bassman
09-19-2011, 11:31 PM
There should be a tag or metal plate of some sort near the tongue of the trailer. You might have to look closely as the previous owner might have painted over it like they did with mine.

DockRat
09-20-2011, 07:51 AM
If you can't find any numbers then go to the DMV and tell them your buddy, gave (gifted) you his old trailer.
It is homemade and never been registered. They will give you papers to fill out maybe
'special construction' form. Then they will have you bring it in or to the CHP for inspection.
They will issue you a VIN tag or sticker and license plates. It will not cost much.
DR

vortec_cruiser
09-20-2011, 08:43 PM
If you can't find any numbers then go to the DMV and tell them your buddy, gave (gifted) you his old trailer.DR
His buddy said he wanted to use the trailer for his (buddy's) boat.

Just have your buddy go to the DMV and tell them he built the trailer himself. They'll give him a temporary permit so he can pull the trailer back to the DMV for inspection.

fishfinder
09-20-2011, 08:46 PM
There should be a tag or metal plate of some sort near the tongue of the trailer. You might have to look closely as the previous owner might have painted over it like they did with mine.

it looks like there used to be a metal tag there. but gone now.