PDA

View Full Version : 619 South Bay Report 9/18/11

ordane
09-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Was back home again over this past weekend. Hit up Otay lake all day Saturday but more of a BBQ/Hang out Day rather than a fishing trip so of course I got skunked, lol.

I guess you can say I am working on becoming a Bass Hunter. I've been doing a lot of reading and trying different rigs and techniques yet I still haven't become very successful. But, my favorite spot to fish as a kid proved once again I can go out and catch bass anytime,

...Barred Sand Bass that is!

Since we didnt get much fishing in at the lake we decided to hit up Coronado Cays early Sunday before the Bolts game( :mad: ). We were only there about an hour but a very exciting hour. I got the first hit and pulled in a nice foot long Sand Bass. As I was reeling it in my girl pulled in an okay sized Rat. Then about 10 minutes later she pulls out a Bass that was 14" long.

We had each of our poles and my Son's little Spincasting setup. I got hit by something and was trying to get a feel on my line while my girl was re-baiting hers. I hear her holler so I turn around real quick to see my boy's pole on the ground. I quickly go to set my pole in its holder so I can chase the pole but within a second I see my girl about shoulder deep in the bay. It was gone!! So, if anybody catches a fish in the SD Bay with another line hanging from its mouth... that pole is mine, hahaha!

All in all it was a great hour and I still got my Bass fix!!

Karyn
09-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Love San Diego! We use to fish out there all the time- I remember taking the dingy from the Kingston Court slip all the way to the bridge and fishing the pylons. Those were some great times! Memories...

Thanks for the report :)

ToroMike
09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Nice fish. Can you tell me how to get where you were at. I live in Santee and would like to try that spot out.

ordane
09-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Love San Diego! We use to fish out there all the time- I remember taking the dingy from the Kingston Court slip all the way to the bridge and fishing the pylons. Those were some great times! Memories...

Thanks for the report :)
Thanks. As a kid we would fish at the park under the bridge.. the pylons are awesome, lots of Sand Sharks!

Nice fish. Can you tell me how to get where you were at. I live in Santee and would like to try that spot out.
Sent you a PM Mike.

DockRat
09-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Good job on the bass and taking your son fishing.

LOL on the lost rod. Had a rod go flying over the side 2 years ago my slip in Pedro.
Had it been in a rod holder it would have been saved.
If yours was in a good sand spike with loose drag it would have been ok too.

Moral of the story; Set your drag loose and or use a rod holder.
I bought a 10' piece of 1 1/2" black ABS/PVC at Home Depot and made 2 rod holders.
Cut the end at a 45 degree angle and made 2 cheap 4' sand spike rod holders
for under $10 and they work fine, don't rust, light, and store easy.
Shove them as deep as you can.
DR

DockRat
09-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Welcome to FNN ToroMike.
Seems as if these boards are moving more with viewer participation.
Thanks guys, responses/posts and help guys like us that love fishing
or just reading wishing we were fishing.
DR

ordane
09-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Good job on the bass and taking your son fishing.

LOL on the lost rod. Had a rod go flying over the side 2 years ago my slip in Pedro.
Had it been in a rod holder it would have been saved.
If yours was in a good sand spike with loose drag it would have been ok too.

Moral of the story; Set your drag loose and or use a rod holder.
I bought a 10' piece of 1 1/2" black ABS/PVC at Home Depot and made 2 rod holders.
Cut the end at a 45 degree angle and made 2 cheap 4' sand spike rod holders
for under $10 and they work fine, don't rust, light, and store easy.
Shove them as deep as you can.
DR
Haha, my boy was asleep at his Grandmas house when we went out Sunday morning. I thought he was gonna be super mad that we lost his pole but he was stoked!! He thought it was cool a fish got it and was bragging to everyone about it.

I actually did have it in a pole holder... But the sand is soft there and it just ripped right out of the ground! Besides you get hit so often at that spot we shouldn't have even brought an extra pole!