PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice for big bear

Mr T-rex
09-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Gonna head up to big bear this sunday but i do not know any good spots for trout :Neutral: anyone mind telling me ??

1HR2BBL
09-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Fishing from shore or boat?

Mr T-rex
09-19-2011, 01:55 PM
fishing from shore

white belt
09-19-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm no expert, but I'm thinking the trout are going to be too deep to find from shore.

But if someone knows a good spot I wanna know too :Neener Neener:

1HR2BBL
09-19-2011, 02:03 PM
I like fishing near the dam.

ordane
09-19-2011, 02:10 PM
One of the DFG Officers I got carded by recently told me the damn has been going off... I am thinking about hitting it up this weekend too, if not maybe Silverwood!

VIVID_FLY
09-19-2011, 02:12 PM
the dam is good .. but they are working on it now ..so the South side Parking is closed as of Wednesday of last week. The north side has limited parking and some steep sections of the down climb to the lake.

If you go in October when the temps are lowering . Try Juniper Point .. its on north side of lake just west of STANFIELD CUTOFF
good luck .

Mr T-rex
09-19-2011, 02:58 PM
One of the DFG Officers I got carded by recently told me the damn has been going off... I am thinking about hitting it up this weekend too, if not maybe Silverwood! where is the dam located ??

Mr T-rex
09-19-2011, 03:00 PM
thanks for the advice..hopefully ill put out some trout or maybe even crappie and largemouths thanks once again

ordane
09-19-2011, 03:17 PM
West end of the lake... you can see it coming in from the 18.

Mr T-rex
09-19-2011, 03:32 PM
West end of the lake... you can see it coming in from the 18. coo thanks bro ill be there this sunday :)

tunagod1
09-19-2011, 05:29 PM
If fishing the bottom use long leaders 3+ft or fish from the top down, use a sliding float and a bobber stop. When I fished by the dam there alot of little gobies that like to take your bait. If using crawler inflate + long leader. Gobies love worms. Most of the fish are suspended in the water column at mid depth. There are some decent spots on the north or south side of the dam.

Floating baits and 2 lb leaders, you'll catch fish. if you fish heavier be prepared for a skunk.

tuna out

Mr T-rex
09-19-2011, 05:43 PM
If fishing the bottom use long leaders 3+ft or fish from the top down, use a sliding float and a bobber stop. When I fished by the dam there alot of little gobies that like to take your bait. If using crawler inflate + long leader. Gobies love worms. Most of the fish are suspended in the water column at mid depth. There are some decent spots on the north or south side of the dam.

Floating baits and 2 lb leaders, you'll catch fish. if you fish heavier be prepared for a skunk.

tuna out thanks for the advice.. hopefully i can get some fish to bite i will be using powerbait and nightcrawlers :)

bowler
09-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Once the sun starts to go down when i was up there on labor day weekend the trout start coming up to the surface. I got my limit on crappie jigs one day and the following day i got 2 more a a lot of small bass and some good size crappie.

Mr T-rex
09-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Once the sun starts to go down when i was up there on labor day weekend the trout start coming up to the surface. I got my limit on crappie jigs one day and the following day i got 2 more a a lot of small bass and some good size crappie. i will also be using crappie jigs..never caught a crappie before so that would be nice

M@M
09-20-2011, 01:36 PM
I caught Two trout yesterday while fishing for crappie (using crappie jigs).....off the little pier at Boulder Bay Park(we were the only ones fishing there most of the afternoon) and easy parking/restroom and other points for shore fishing..... Anytime I have checked the dam it always looked crowded with a very limited area to fish...keep in mind I have never stopped and fished the dam........also Stanfield you can park and fish off the side of the road.......now that school has started and summer almost over.....not too many people during the week....Good Luck....

Mr T-rex
09-26-2011, 02:02 PM
I caught Two trout yesterday while fishing for crappie (using crappie jigs).....off the little pier at Boulder Bay Park(we were the only ones fishing there most of the afternoon) and easy parking/restroom and other points for shore fishing..... Anytime I have checked the dam it always looked crowded with a very limited area to fish...keep in mind I have never stopped and fished the dam........also Stanfield you can park and fish off the side of the road.......now that school has started and summer almost over.....not too many people during the week....Good Luck.... Thanks for the all the tips.. i went yesterday with my brother and caught our limits on trout fishing from at the dam..they were caught on nightcrawlers and powerbait (powermouse)..also landed a couple crappie..

ordane
09-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the all the tips.. i went yesterday with my brother and caught our limits on trout fishing from at the dam..they were caught on nightcrawlers and powerbait (powermouse)..also landed a couple crappie..
Good job Dude! My siter and cousin got a cabin up there for the weekend and I came really close to going up too but I ended up in LA. I will defiitely be up there soon!

Mr T-rex
09-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Good job Dude! My siter and cousin got a cabin up there for the weekend and I came really close to going up too but I ended up in LA. I will defiitely be up there soon! Thanks.. we were planning to also get a cabin this upcoming weekend but not after all .. hopefully soon

white belt
09-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Mr T Rex where exactly is the dam located? Is it that first area where the road splits?

Big Bear Legal Eagle
09-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Here is a pretty good map to get your bearings. Dam is at the west end where you see the sign for State Route 18.

http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetails?s_it=imageDetails&q=Big+Bear+Lake+map&v_t=comsearch50&b=image%3Fenabled_terms%3D%26s_it%3Dcomsearch50%26 q%3DBig%2BBear%2BLake%2Bmap%26oreq%3D502d58cafdea4 335abbe25fde90e39a1&img=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigbearlakeaccess.com%2Fimage s%2Fbig_bear_lake_access.jpg&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigbearlakeaccess.com%2F&width=138&height=58&thumbUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fimages-partners-tbn.google.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcR5946Zvo 7s3Pu6AM63z36gShOxUf1fXj_kV3Zv4ooPiOUiruF1pY38WOs&imgWidth=700&imgHeight=294&imgSize=65985&imgTitle=Big+Bear+Lake+map

white belt
09-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Cool thanks BBLE

DockRat
09-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Here is a pretty good map to get your bearings.

Dam is at the east end where you see the sign for State Route 18.

Get Your Bearings !!! LMAO
' Dam is at the east end ' Huh, What ?

Is someone losing there Ball Bearings ? Altitude effecting natural guidance ?

Since the birth of Planet Earth rotating around the sun, the sun goes down in the west.

The sunsets in the west, at Big Bear the sunset is the direction of the Pacific Ocean.

B. B. L. E., The Dam is at the WEST END of the lake.
Sunrise is at East End (Baldwin Lake, Stanfield Cutoff)
Sunset is at West End ( BBL Dam, Pacific Ocean)
DR

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd212/jhornbeck/Other%20Stuff/Storage%20Room/Compass.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/ericacastaneda/xmasandnewyears013.jpg

DockRat
09-30-2011, 08:33 AM
In all fairness to BBLE the W is next to the E on your keyboard.
Possible human error.

Big Bear Lake Trout Sightings; BIG BOILS.
On wed 9/28 I went to BBL to stack a cord of firewood at my 81 year old Dads house.
Only went for 4 hours, 'Loser', had a 11 am dentist appt in Torrance. No fishing.

On the way home just after sunset (west) at the Dam (west end) we saw some BIG SPLASHES !!! :Shocked:
We pulled over 400' before the Dam, got out to see if someone was casting 1 lb Cannon Balls. NOPE.
Saw one guy with a rod sitting in a chair. Then saw 2 more big boils that looked like a
DD LMB hitting a frog. Then we drove home (west) back to the beach.
The boils were about 150' from shore near the old rock Dam built in 1884.

BBL is on its 3rd Dam now.

We drove over the new Dam is open (2 months now, they say) and saw the
Old Dam #2 being busted out with heavy equipment (backhoe jackhammers) that
could scare the fish during work times, I'm guessing 7 am to 4 pm weekdays ?

DID YOU KNOW (I just learned this today)

Big Bear Lake was the WORLDS LARGEST MANMADE FW LAKE !!! :Shocked:

in 1910 a new multiple arch dam was designed by engineer John S. Eastwood. The new dam was built about 250 feet downstream from the old dam and measured 72 feet high. At the time, this engineering feat created the world's largest man-made lake.

Why ? Orange Groves in Redlands.

2nd BUS LINE THE WORLD Yep, BIG BEAR !:Shocked:

A young man by the name of Kirk Phillips, had seen a White truck with bench seats carrying passengers on 5 th Avenue in New York ; this was the world's first bus line. He thought this would work in the mountains and by the spring of 1912 he established the famous Mountain Auto Line and started bringing freight and passengers to the mountains by motor power. This was the world's second bus line.

Grizzly Bears at Big Bear !!! :Shocked:

They did discover was an ancient and mysterious forest alive with Grizzly Bears. It is reported that Wilson and his men took 11 huge pelts with them that day. Word of their adventure spread and the area now known as Big Bear and Big Bear Lake was originally named � Bear Valley �.
The last known grizzly in the San Bernardino Mountains was killed in 1906. :Finger: MODERN MAN !

Very Interesting History MUST Read with pics (old rock Dam, ect.)
I fish on the Rock Dam in the 60's about 3 grade with my older brothers, It is still there (underwater) and can be seen in extreme drought years.

http://www.bigbearlake.net/about-big-bear/history/

#2 Dam This reply took me 1 1/2 hours, I hope someone enjoys it. I learned new stuff today. DR
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/JackLondon1967/Linen%20Postcards/cabigbearlakedam.jpg

Big Bear Legal Eagle
09-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Never type while exhausted... Besides I was just switching west to east to maintain the secrecy of the fishing spot.... :-)

DockRat
09-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Never type while exhausted... Besides I was just switching west to east to maintain the secrecy of the fishing spot.... :-)
LOL,

Sorry about the Slam, Lol

Secret Spot, My Grandparents fished in the 1950's before I was born. Lol
I haven't fished BBL in 15 years. Lol
Now 5000 Newbies will be there this weekend.
Good for hurting business's at BBL :Thumbs Up: $$$ Bring Cash or Plastic Cards !
Looks like a Pot Plant behind the couch. WTG Stoner Babies :Food::Dancing Banana:

NEWBIES ! LMAO:ROFL: DR
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn149/nhaz356/babies.jpg

HBAR
09-30-2011, 09:42 AM
WON is having an event there this weekend it might be crowded, tournament starts tomorrow and awards are on Sunday.

DockRat
09-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Lol, now you fixed it. That is the problem when guys 'reply with quote'

They used to say.

The Pen is Mightier than the Sword !

"The pen is mightier than the sword" is a metonymic adage coined by
English author Edward Bulwer-Lytton in 1839

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_pen_is_mightier_than_the_sword

2011 'The Computer is Mightier than the Pen.' :Death2Above:

You can't fix it. This is happened to me a few times when I F***ed up.
No Biggie. Why were you 'exhausted' at Noon (lunchtime) ?
DR :Wink:

ordane
09-30-2011, 10:51 AM
DR... Cool post with the Big Bear Facts. Very interesting!

diamondbear
09-30-2011, 11:44 AM
I dont think BBL is on its third dam , still the second dam , just a new bridge / roadway by passing old road going over dam #2 . Second dam was reninforced like 10-15 years ago . Old road bed being removed from the top of dam.

DockRat
09-30-2011, 01:15 PM
I dont think BBL is on its third dam , still the second dam , just a new bridge / roadway by passing old road going over dam #2 . Second dam was reninforced like 10-15 years ago . Old road bed being removed from the top of dam.

I Dunno ? The Dam I saw being demoed was 50' - 100' east of the new one with water on both sides. The OG rock Dam is 300' east of the new Dam.

Maybe BBLE can chime in ?

Grizzly Bears at Big Bear ?
I guess that is why they named it 'Big Bear' and the weekly
BBL newspaper is called 'The Grizzly' ? I saw that paper in 60's and never put
2 + 2 together. Lol
51 years old and still learning new/old stuff everyday. :Rolls Eyes:
DR
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/wvualr22/Grizzly.jpghttp://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l327/crrob1788/grizzly.jpg

DockRat
09-30-2011, 01:40 PM

1) The Rock Wall Dam 1884
2) 1910 a new multiple arch dam was designed by engineer John S. Eastwood. The new dam was built about 250 feet downstream from the old dam and measured 72 feet high.
3) New Dam opened August 2011

Is it 2 or 3 ?

VERY COOL PICS on below site, including people fishing on the Rock Dam 1940's.
Lots of B/W Dam Pics.

http://www.bigbearhistorysite.com/big-bear-historical-photographs/the-multi-arch-dam-photo-album/

'Dam' BBL Dams, eating up my time stuck on the WWW. :Rolls Eyes:
DR

diamondbear
10-01-2011, 01:35 PM
DR , NO BIG DEAL AS YOUR INPUT TO THE FNN IS WAY COOL , and your article reads are even better on the salt for sure . Looking for your lobster post now , ha .

CraigH
10-01-2011, 03:03 PM
The main page of the same big bear history website has a "demolition update" - according to that article they are demoing the 1924 road built on top of the dam built in 1912. The pictures look like the 1912 dam is still the main dam. It looks like the road coming from the new bridge bypasses the parking area for fishing the rocks on the south side of the lake next to the dam. Does anyone know if you can still park there?

http://www.bigbearhistorysite.com/

lalo56
10-01-2011, 05:04 PM
We were there early September and fished on the north shore close to the dam. We only fished for an hour or 2 since we were on our honeymoon, i was only able to get that much time in to fish. I only caught a 5# carp.

jeepnkal
10-05-2011, 10:29 AM
is the water to cold to tube in October?

etaggart
10-06-2011, 06:13 AM
Nope - I've tubed in BBL far into December - just keep closer to shore and bundle up. No lake patrol to save your *****. I don't stop tubing BBL until the ice forming on the guides of my fly rod forms so hard and fast I can't strip any more ;)

October and November are GREAT months for tubing BBL. Hardly any boaters - feels like you got the lake to yourself.

Have a great time and report back with pix!!!

Cheers,

Eric

mytyt
10-06-2011, 09:39 AM
I plan on tubing up there 3 or 4 times this fall. Are the area around Boulder Bay a good place to launch? Do the fish move up as the water cools off? I'll probably be dragging or stripping flies. Buggers work?

smokehound
10-06-2011, 06:42 PM
LOL,

Sorry about the Slam, Lol

Secret Spot, My Grandparents fished in the 1950's before I was born. Lol
I haven't fished BBL in 15 years. Lol
Now 5000 Newbies will be there this weekend.
Good for hurting business's at BBL :Thumbs Up: $$$ Bring Cash or Plastic Cards !
Looks like a Pot Plant behind the couch. WTG Stoner Babies :Food::Dancing Banana:

NEWBIES ! LMAO:ROFL: DR
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn149/nhaz356/babies.jpgActually, that's an aralia.

etaggart
10-06-2011, 08:20 PM
My MytyT,

Holler with a PM when you're planning to be up in BBL and tubing, we may be able to connect on the water.

Boulder Bay is a super easy launch point. Easy parking, easy into the water. Gets really weedy, but as the fall goes on, the weeds subside and the fish move in. You can also kick out past the park area into the main bay and hit lots of trout out the east side of the bay - about halfway up to the mouth. There's a nice drop-off about 30 feet from shore where trout seem to hold all along that line.

Wooly Buggers are about all I use at this point. Black with gold bead head do great, but all colors can hit.

Better fly fishers than me do a great job working the trout with more types of flies, midges, etc.. They're more tuned into the conditions and can pick up trout when I'm getting skunked. Search the boards and PM some of the better fly fishers and see if they can give any tips.

Cheers,

Eric