PDA

View Full Version : 9/17 - Dinkfest

pigdestroyer
09-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Started out foggy for the entire morning. There were a ton of small fish biting, but we had trouble finding the bigger models. Nothing much over 3lbs. I think the weather scattered the bigger ones because we caught them fish between 1-45ft. They weren't showing up like they have been on the graph. When we did find fish in the deeper water they were large schools of 1 pounders.

We ended up with about 50 fish, but 80% of them were little shakers. Most fish came off dropshot.

Nothing worth taking photos of.

Jeremy

TopwaterTony
09-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Maybe you should change your name to dinkdestroyer LOL, j/k DS will get you the dinks all day at DVL ... I always go deeper when the you start getting dinks gone wild.

pigdestroyer
09-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah. We were actually fishing 25-45ft for most of the day with jigs and big worms. The bigger fish just weren't stacked up on the points like we have been finding them. After going a while without getting bit on the jig and big worm, when we saw the little guys on the graph, we would pick up the DS and catch them for 15 minutes out of boredom. :)

Our two bigger fish were actually caught in about 2ft of water. The smaller fish were being caught in 25-35ft. I guess they switched places for the day.

HawgStalker
09-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Nice report. Quick and to the point....

Hopefully you hang a big girl next time...

Matt_Magnone
09-19-2011, 07:49 PM
dvl fish can jerk you around this time of year. ive noticed when the little fish seem to dominate from the mid depths a lot of the bigger fish tend to suspend. did you guys try spooning? ive caught some big fish this time of year spooning over deep structure spots. 'ive noticed that the mid to late summer fish often act like winter fish. get out into 60' and meter around. sounds completely off the wall but sometimes it works.

HawgZWylde
09-19-2011, 08:33 PM
dvl fish can jerk you around this time of year. ive noticed when the little fish seem to dominate from the mid depths a lot of the bigger fish tend to suspend. did you guys try spooning? ive caught some big fish this time of year spooning over deep structure spots. 'ive noticed that the mid to late summer fish often act like winter fish. get out into 60' and meter around. sounds completely off the wall but sometimes it works.

Lol, seems everything is *** backwards with this lake. When they should be on top, they're deep, and vise versa. I guess it'll be a year or so more before things start settling down because of the drawdown. Fishing in this lake is so different than any other. But that's what I like about it. If you want the quality fish, you gotta really work for them at DVL...

diamondbear
09-20-2011, 11:24 AM
A few weeks ago I was trolling at about 60ft. and caught a 4-5 lb. LMB [ RELEASED ] at about 200-300 yrds. from shore . I see fish just suspended in open water deep and always wonder , maybe there trying to stay with there perferred water temp. ?

Stormcrow
09-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Its almost time to bust out the ice jigs....

fish player
09-20-2011, 06:28 PM
We call the baby bass. Caveman bass.

HawgZWylde
09-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Its almost time to bust out the ice jigs....

Why did you stop using them? :Secret:

HawgZWylde
09-20-2011, 10:42 PM
A few weeks ago I was trolling at about 60ft. and caught a 4-5 lb. LMB [ RELEASED ] at about 200-300 yrds. from shore . I see fish just suspended in open water deep and always wonder , maybe there trying to stay with there perferred water temp. ?

We went out today and hit one of our spots that is much like you described, 40-60 ft of water, roughly 200 yards offshore. I caught 2, clean, fat 4lb+, and a few 2-3 lb LMB's there. As a bonus, I also caught a 2 lb smallie with an ice jig. (Stormcrow?) Water temps, deep cover and baitfish. One of the LMB's I caught regurgitated a bunch of small shad, hence the switch to an ice jig :Idea: ...