PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. "I'd take that Intel anyday"

iLLest
09-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Whats up guys! :Big Grin:

As many as you know, yesterday (9-17) some of the S.W.A.T crew put a ***-whoopin to the enemy in one of our spots. While I was at home doing some maintenance on my car, I got a text from Wingnut once they were done with their assault and told me his fish count and how the conditions were. He told me "If you have time tomorrow, hit it at greylight." I dont know about you, but when Arthur tells you to go to a spot at a certain time, its for a damn good reason.

I already had plans for Sunday, one of which was to go to the Dodger game...but how can you not take this Intel and put it to good use? what is it worth, if you dont give it a shot? Hence, why one should listen to one who knows best. :Wink:

Duration: 5:30-8:00A.M.
Artillery: Custom LC
Conditions: Insane. SUPER flat, SUPER clear water, SUPER warm water

The Artillery... (the pic doesnt do any justice)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/IMG_5630.jpg

I decided to hit the water early, by early I mean I couldnt see sh*t! All the light I had was from the moonlight, which was covered by dense fog and clouds. Took my time and ended up hitting the water looking like this... :Shocked:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0482.jpg

One more...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0481.jpg

Arthur got 3 fish, in 3 casts....I got this feisty guy on the 2nd cast! Thats when you know the fish are THERE and you gotta cast until your arm falls off.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0483.jpg

Put up a very good fight for his size...much respect for this little guy. He doesnt look very happy though lol
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0484.jpg

I casted like crazy knowing they were there, but what happened next was interesting. It was TAP, then nothing. Cast out again....HARD TAP..then nothing. Cast out again, TAP and then nothing. All of these TAPS came while I was fan casting! so theres no way this was one fish, this place was full of fish! All this proved to be true when greylight arrived. I could see Calico's and Halibut flying out of the water after they chased bait. I mean FLYING, their whole body was clearly out of the water :Shocked: Insane stuff.

As I was casting away, I saw a hali jump out of the water. I quickly reeled it in and casted in the general area. Tap...Tap...BAM! As I bring it to the skinny, I could faintly see the body of a hali. I knew it was going to be close...and it measured at....!!! BARELY legal. The pic shows 23+ but when the tape was stretched out correctly, he measured at 22" 1/4. BY that much! lol I was tempted to take him home but since I caught him early on, I didnt want any "shrinkage" to kick in :Confused:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0485.jpg

He wasnt very photo-genic :Crying:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0486.jpg

Talk about some CLEAN water eh? This guy hit me in the foot while I was casting and chilled there for about 15 seconds, I stood still and reached for my camera. It was just enough time for me to snap some pics of him swimming around.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0488.jpg

Definitely something you dont see everyday...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0487.jpg

During this period of time, maybe 30 mins. I lost 2 mystery fish. Big ones too. The first one didnt strike my bait, it decided to simply swim by and take it with him. It swam directly into the kelp and broke me off. :Angry: There goes my custom LC :Sad:

I tie on another LC. Next off, came mystery fish #2. This fish actually hit my lure as soon as it hit the water. Headshake, headshake, and more headshakes...this one was definitely a hali. A legal for sureeeee. Fought it for about 5 mins and then patiently brought it in, felt real heavy. I can see the line getting closer from the top of the water and I start to take some slow steps backward and bring it in with a short wave. As I'm on the sand, I see color....HALI! here comes the perfect wave....reel in, and the LC comes flying back at me :Shocked: :Angry::Evil: It was'nt a 30" like my previous PB, well actually who knows....it was frikin big. Thats what sucks about losing a fish this close, you couldnt take a pic, measure it or anything. I guess thats fishing eh? only makes me want to get back there ASAP.

Next off came a shortie, around 18"
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0492-1.jpg

Same fish
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0491.jpg

Decided to call it a day after this. I have never been in the water with sooooo much activity going on around me. Although, I didnt catch a huge amount of fish, watching fish flying for baitfish was a sight to see. Hopefully this place stays hot. I got beef with two fish that live there, I'll be back!

How can you leave these conditions! I had to abort early, I'll be back soon :Cool:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0493-1.jpg

Gear shot, upgraded from the Symetre to the Stradic. Very smooth, I like it.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0497-1.jpg

The point to this report ..

1) Take the Intel given to you and put it to good use. (Thanks Arturito)
2) Keep your eyes open in the surf and pay attention. (There's alot of things one can learn everyday)
3. Finally, have fun. Regardless of the situation, whether you catch fish or not, it doesnt get better than being out there knowing there's a possibility that there's a PB right in front of you...

Good luck to all, tight lines. Till next time!

Which Way Out
09-19-2011, 08:34 AM
First in......:Envious:

Frank I wish I lived closer to that spot, its perfect. Kinda hard in the dark thought.

Nice fish all around and a shame we didn't get to see the biggin. Love the Lobster shot. Reminds me of a huge Spider Crab I had near me once, freaked me out. I think they use us for structure.

Great report thanks
Bill

murrieta angler
09-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Great job using the intel Frank!!!
I had plans for the weekend or else I would have been out there on Sunday also, I was at the Padre game.
I'm hoping to get at least one day in this week down here.
Thanks for the report and pics Bro,
Robert
<><

PONTOON
09-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Frank,

I enjoyed every second it took to read this post! It was awesome!:Thumbs Up:

There are not many times when you get out on the water anywhere and you feel right off that this is going to be a good day.:Cool:
It also had to be pretty cool to get intel from the best and hit the beach one on one with the surf, the sand and whatever is lurking within a good cast.
Great job out there and you hit the nail on the head with your three points of advice at the end of your report..........awesome!

The point to this report ..

1) Take the Intel given to you and put it to good use. (Thanks Arturito)
2) Keep your eyes open in the surf and pay attention. (There's alot of things one can learn everyday)
3. Finally, have fun. Regardless of the situation, whether you catch fish or not, it doesnt get better than being out there knowing there's a possibility that there's a PB right in front of you...

Thanks for sharing the day and good luck to you in all your future outings in the surf.:Cool:

iLLest
09-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Which way out: I'm lucky enough to live 45 mins to this spot. It's a good one, but what I saw yesterday I have NEVER seen before, well atleast not to that extent. There was sooo much activity. If you didnt see a fish fly out of the water, you can hear a fish come to the surface and scramble to create a nice big ripple. Crazy stuff. That lost fish is going to haunt me for a while, I couldve made a serious jump in the hali leaderboard but its all good, thats fishing. I'll be back soon, you better believe it :Big Grin: That lobster scared me when it first hit my leg but it was a awesome sight, I knew I had to get a pic of it. I think a Spider crab would have made me run out the water lol

Roberto Whats up brotha! If you can make it out, you should. Your going to slay. I was telling Arthur that if someone was there with me, we would've caught alot more fish. There was THAT many in one concentrated spot. Remember how last time we hit this spot, you were a tad bit late? Hit it early! BEFORE greylight and you shall be rewarded handsomely. :Big Grin:

Pontoon: Glad you enjoyed the report buddy. Arthur was exactly right when he said he had that gut wrenching feeling that something was going to bite your lure. I had it ever since the night before lol. I just knew how the day was going to be and it didnt fail. If I wouldve caught those two mystery fish, the quality of this thread would sky rocket.Thanks for the kind words and hope to see you soon out there, we are yet to hit the sand together my friend.

Badbeat
09-19-2011, 12:30 PM
When Wingnut speaks, people listen. :LOL:
Nice job on the legal bro. I'm going to get mine one of these days. :Wink:

Wingnut
09-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Way to launch a follow-up attack Frank... looks like they sent some reinforcements. :Twisted:
It seems like the bite has picked up everywhere. Here's to more good things to come in the Fall. :Big Grin:
I saw a couple of Lobster in the surf there before, they usually shoot off before I can get my camera out. :Wink:

DockRat
09-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Congrats on the Legal, maybe get your lobster card and next month you can reach down and grab it, lol.
DR

jerryG
09-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Well done Frank. Great follow up recon mission. Time to drop in for predawn weekday attack. The number of enemies escaping with weapons is growing at an alarming rate. It looks the opposition has finally decided to send some heavy hitters to the front lines. They must be stopped.

JerryG

5150fishn
09-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Great report and pics. That lobster pic is epic! With intel like that you would have to give it a shot or think about what could have been. LOL! Bummer about the lost custom LC but I am sure your next creation will just be better.

iLLest
09-20-2011, 11:50 AM
When Wingnut speaks, people listen. :LOL:
Nice job on the legal bro. I'm going to get mine one of these days. :Wink:

haha, as they should! Thanks bro, I saw how hard you were working that day we hit the surf, its only a matter of time, you got everything down already.

Way to launch a follow-up attack Frank... looks like they sent some reinforcements. :Twisted:
It seems like the bite has picked up everywhere. Here's to more good things to come in the Fall. :Big Grin:
I saw a couple of Lobster in the surf there before, they usually shoot off before I can get my camera out. :Wink:

Yes sir! The bite has picked up indeed. If it continues like this throughout all of fall, there will be some epic sessions S.W.A.T is going to have. I can feel it! Thanks for the Intel bro, it did not go to waste :Twisted:

Congrats on the Legal, maybe get your lobster card and next month you can reach down and grab it, lol.
DR

Thanks DR, it stopped right on my foot bro, literally. Like it was going to try and climb it or something. Luckily I had my jacket opened alittle and reached into my waders to pull out my camera. Next time I'll just clinch my legs together and see if I can get it :LOL:

Well done Frank. Great follow up recon mission. Time to drop in for predawn weekday attack. The number of enemies escaping with weapons is growing at an alarming rate. It looks the opposition has finally decided to send some heavy hitters to the front lines. They must be stopped.

JerryG

Good day Soldier! The enemy has indeed gotten the best of us this year with all of the artillery we have lost. If all of S.W.A.T adds up how many LC's they have lost this year, Im SURE it will be in the 30's or 40's :Shocked:. Thats it, I'm buying 150# spiderwire :ROFL: Do not worry my friend, we shall destroy their enemy base with full force this fall. There WILL, BE, BLOOOOOOOD! :Razz:

Great report and pics. That lobster pic is epic! With intel like that you would have to give it a shot or think about what could have been. LOL! Bummer about the lost custom LC but I am sure your next creation will just be better.

Thank you sir. I had to put the intel to good use, if you do, it will pay off. I could have easily left the session with 2 possible PB's, but I lost them. BUT, if I wouldve ignored the intel and stayed home, I wouldnt have even gotten the CHANCE to hook up with them ya know? glad I went. :Cool:

EVERYONE KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR MIKE'S (BONES) report, he took a SERIOUS jump onto the hali leaderboard. Congrats bro, cant wait to see the report!

bsp
09-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Frank,
Really great to see that you got out there and had your own WFO open bite. I'm hoping that the volume of fish stays in that area for a while so we can finally have a good fall bite. Really looking forward to going back there myself. Good job man!
Marc

blackwater
09-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Now that's putting the intel to good use bro. :Thumbs Up: Nicely done!

Yeah, Art text me earlier today letting me know about Bones massive Halibut. :Shocked:
He blew away the SWAT leaderboard!!! :EyePop:

klocked
09-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Good job out there Frank!

Jaysuuun
09-26-2011, 11:45 AM
One of the biggest perks of being a SWAT member.. the intel. :Cool: Nice job out there Frank. Always sucks to lose the big ones, but you still managed some really nice fish.