PDA

View Full Version : Santa Fe Dam

depocs
09-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Fished there a couple times this week with some friends, we all caught some nice fish. Almost all on plastics. Here are a few pics.

Also caught my PB finally so I decided to throw in a pic of my old PB haha.

white belt
09-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Very nice! Where'd you fish and at what time?

El Weirdo
09-19-2011, 09:15 AM
nice bass........a bigger one lives right around the corner where you got that one

Lakerfan160
09-19-2011, 03:02 PM
nice fish i got to stop using those rooster tails and use some texas style worms. ive catch 15 bass the other day there, 2 one pounders and the rest illegal size 4in bass, dam. good job post more reports:)

depocs
09-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Fished between 6:30 - 10 am. Around the cove.

I know there's bigger ones in there ;).

And the rooster tails are just too much fun there, actually caught one about the same size on a tiny rooster tail early in the year but my 4lb test broke when he was at my feet hahahah.

Lakerfan160
09-19-2011, 07:06 PM
ya rooster tails catch any size fish so u dont no wat test line pound to use, ever since i lost one with six pound line i use 10 pound line now just in case.

depocs
09-19-2011, 09:21 PM
I've lost a few nice ones due to trying to bring them in too quickly, but I'm getting used to the fight with my 4lb test. I'll probably put 4 or maybe 6 on my next reel.

allIdoIsfish
09-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Fished between 6:30 - 10 am. Around the cove.

I know there's bigger ones in there ;).

And the rooster tails are just too much fun there, actually caught one about the same size on a tiny rooster tail early in the year but my 4lb test broke when he was at my feet hahahah.

Isnt it winter hours now? 8am-4pm?

white belt
09-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Isnt it winter hours now? 8am-4pm?

I think it's still 6am-8pm for another month.

allIdoIsfish
09-20-2011, 02:43 PM
I think it's still 6am-8pm for another month.

Are you sure? my buddy said he brought his boat out there last week and they turned him away. Ill just call them and see whats up

white belt
09-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Are you sure? my buddy said he brought his boat out there last week and they turned him away. Ill just call them and see whats up

Here's some info from the LAC Parks n Rec website:
Park Hours: 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (November 1st through April 30th )
6:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (March 1st through October 31st) (Closed Christmas Day)

I know just because the site says it doesn't make it true though. Peck hours state open til Sunet but they still close the gates every day at 6.

Ifishtoolittle
09-21-2011, 08:50 PM
nice fish i got to stop using those rooster tails and use some texas style worms. ive catch 15 bass the other day there, 2 one pounders and the rest illegal size 4in bass, dam. good job post more reports:)

Is the lake infested with dinks? I love slaying dinks lol!

Lakerfan160
09-21-2011, 08:55 PM
hell ya if u cast small spinners like roostertails, mepps ,and kastmasters u will catch small bass and i mean your 3 to 4 inchers, but u can catch some big bass with those i had two big bass on them but lost both:(

white belt
10-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Hey lakerfan i tried out a couple spro frogs here tonigt and got skunked. My wife was using the green n yellow and i was using the spro jr in black. I got a bite but i dont think he ever got the hook in its mouth. A lot of dead catfish on the shores.

Lakerfan160
10-03-2011, 08:00 PM
sorry to hear about the skunk. dam that must of been cool sight to see the bass go for the frog. ya i was there saturday for a while to see if the fish were still biting because i couldnt make it to the moonlite fishing. i did see those dead cats, i think those cats were stocked for the night fishing and die of or something. the bass werent very active saturday i only got one small bass maybe because of the lite rain friday.

Carptain_Bao
10-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Went to check out the surroundings yesterday,stayed near the little dock and went to the north side a little bit,but the path is hard to get through.Cast out the plastic worm for several times but got no bite.
Where do u all go for bass?Cant find any good spots.Besides,do u need to pay parking fees on weekends?I'm thinking about hitting there on saturday for catfish.

white belt
10-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Went to check out the surroundings yesterday,stayed near the little dock and went to the north side a little bit,but the path is hard to get through.Cast out the plastic worm for several times but got no bite.
Where do u all go for bass?Cant find any good spots.Besides,do u need to pay parking fees on weekends?I'm thinking about hitting there on saturday for catfish.

It's free after 6pm, but any time before that it's $10. I never go when I have to pay so I'm not 100%. And to be honest, I don't get beans at Santa Fe. I've been told where the run off flows into the lake on the right side is a good spot. There's a cage or something in the water. I also hike about 5 minutes in to that back cove more towards the center of the lake on the north side.

Carptain_Bao
10-04-2011, 10:16 AM
It's free after 6pm, but any time before that it's $10. I never go when I have to pay so I'm not 100%. And to be honest, I don't get beans at Santa Fe. I've been told where the run off flows into the lake on the right side is a good spot. There's a cage or something in the water. I also hike about 5 minutes in to that back cove more towards the center of the lake on the north side.
Okay,cool.Thanks!=]
I saw the cage thing yesterday.Around that cove,I saw at least ten big fish just jumped out from the water,and I also saw a guy caught a nice size catfish.He got another one in the net,too.But frankly, ten bucks is really too much. Still considering hitting Legg or Santa fe.Anyway thanks=]

depocs
10-04-2011, 03:06 PM
$10 is a lot, We used to split between a couple of us. But I just ended up buying the annual pass. As for where to fish and what to use, for me the side of the lake with all of the trees seems to hold the bass. I've caught many 2-3lb fish only about 5 feet out. There are some days it gets slow but I guess it just depends on what you throw and where you put it. I always cast into the nice looking hard to get to spots and just work a 4 1/2" bass pro worm nice and slow. Fishing is usually best between 6 - 11 am. Last time I went I only pulled out 1 but that was good enough for me :).

I rarely catch fish on cranks and spinners there, unless I'm going for small bass, then a rooster tail can be killer.

Trial and error, just keep fishing, the fish are there.

Lakerfan160
10-04-2011, 04:39 PM
taking about fishing by the cage i was fishing there and i notice like 3 spinnerbaits stuck on top of the cage so im not going to fish there for a while. i think the fish that were there move some where else, cause its fished there to much people there. and i always see little kids throwing rocks at the spot aimming for the cage and they start laughing after they hit cause i makes a loud noise.

Roostertails were good but last week it didnt work for me as well as last time

Carptain_Bao
10-04-2011, 10:00 PM
$10 is a lot, We used to split between a couple of us. But I just ended up buying the annual pass. As for where to fish and what to use, for me the side of the lake with all of the trees seems to hold the bass. I've caught many 2-3lb fish only about 5 feet out. There are some days it gets slow but I guess it just depends on what you throw and where you put it. I always cast into the nice looking hard to get to spots and just work a 4 1/2" bass pro worm nice and slow. Fishing is usually best between 6 - 11 am. Last time I went I only pulled out 1 but that was good enough for me :).

I rarely catch fish on cranks and spinners there, unless I'm going for small bass, then a rooster tail can be killer.

Trial and error, just keep fishing, the fish are there.

Ok,cool.
I might try rooster tail there next time=]
Anyway thanks for the advice,hope I can see u there one day!
Maybe I should split with my friends,too!