PDA

View Full Version : Stripers on the Troll Sun 18SEP11

GdHkSet1
09-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Shoved off the docks around 8am for some trolling action, Water temp is around 74-76, and from the look of the shore line water level seems to be dropping. I worked east end main lake points before heading west to see how the B&W fleet is doing. Along the way dropped the rig down to work the middle main point picked up a 6lbr, and then another 4lbr down at the SW point. My highlight of the day was running into Steve(Diamond Bear) and thanking him for some tips he gave me weeks ago that resulted in my PB Striper today. The beast came in at 32 inches and has been the highlight of my summer fishing at DV-Thanks again Steve!. Good to run into the "Fat Albert" and fam, was pretty cool trolling in the old "holdover grounds", with some of the best DV trollers... These fish are deep, stomaches were empty.. Can't wait to hit it again!
End of Day:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/GdHkSet/STRIPERS18SEP11016.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/GdHkSet/STRIPERS18SEP11012.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/GdHkSet/STRIPERS18SEP11009.jpg
Db and FA:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/GdHkSet/STRIPERS18SEP11013.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/GdHkSet/STRIPERS18SEP11014.jpg

Geraldlim
09-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Congrats on the PB! Looks like 10-12 lbs.
I have been dropping the leadcore deeper recently but not as deep as you downrigger folks. May have to alter my routine and experiment.

TrouTracker
09-19-2011, 12:17 AM
To Vince- Way to go on your PB. It's always a blast fishing with the good ole holdover crew. You definitely can't miss Steve and Albert's boats. You can tell them from across the lake. It's always great passing on a little 411 with them and seeing how they're doing. Congrats again and keep up the good job on the troll.........

dixoncider
09-19-2011, 06:34 AM
Nice report..looks good out there still...

diamondbear
09-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Really good job Vince , Its great to see friends hooked up . Gerald is probably the hot troller out there right now and these fish you don't need a downrigger with the heavier lead line . Cool pics .

IN2DEEP
09-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Nice job out there!

How were the crowds?

Going to hit it next weekend

Thanks, Scott

GdHkSet1
09-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Congrats on the PB! Looks like 10-12 lbs.
I have been dropping the leadcore deeper recently but not as deep as you downrigger folks. May have to alter my routine and experiment.
Thanks Gerald, I also had a LC rig on the otherside-I spool 12lb Cabelas (20 colors) on a Okuma LC, but no joy on that one all day-feel the burn after reeling in all the colors ha.. you're doing awesome with your gear keep at it man. Thought I saw you at the intake.

GdHkSet1
09-19-2011, 12:49 PM
To Vince- Way to go on your PB. It's always a blast fishing with the good ole holdover crew. You definitely can't miss Steve and Albert's boats. You can tell them from across the lake. It's always great passing on a little 411 with them and seeing how they're doing. Congrats again and keep up the good job on the troll.........
Thanks Barry, has been a long summmer w/o anything worth to share. I can see Steve's boat from the East Dam to the West Dam his hull is shaped like a Naval Destroyer! sits low ready to kill..

GdHkSet1
09-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Nice report..looks good out there still...
Dc, thanks man! What kind of boat are you usually in at DV? See ya on the water.

GdHkSet1
09-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Really good job Vince , Its great to see friends hooked up . Gerald is probably the hot troller out there right now and these fish you don't need a downrigger with the heavier lead line . Cool pics .
I just figured out multi-quoating sorry. Steve, kudo's to you man. You and Gerald are slaying consistently via the troll- look fwd to hitting DV in a couple of weeks. Shifting gears and heading to the June loop for some trout trolling. Hope you get them next weekend.

Nice job out there!

How were the crowds?

Going to hit it next weekend

Thanks, Scott
Scott,
There are two pods of boats out there for B&W at the inlet and south of the saddle dam. Other than that it, boat traffic was sort of lite for a sunday. Good luck next weekend.

twcthfsh
09-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Congrats on catching some stripers trolling. I've had limited results trolling and nothing with downriggers so far. What depth do you troll with the DR's and what should I be dragging? Appreciate any input that helps.

Geraldlim
09-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks Gerald, I also had a LC rig on the otherside-I spool 12lb Cabelas (20 colors) on a Okuma LC, but no joy on that one all day-feel the burn after reeling in all the colors ha.. you're doing awesome with your gear keep at it man. Thought I saw you at the intake.

Hey Vince,
I have noticed that the stripers, especially the bigger ones, are deeper now than a few weeks ago. I suspect the water temps have increased and the oxygen levels decreased and so the stripers are holding at 45' or deeper now versus 30' a few weeks ago. That's probably where the thermocline is and they are holding in the cooler oxygen rich water, and only coming up for short periods to feed. If anyone has a more sensitive fishfinder they can see and confirm the depth on the thermocline at present. My fishfinder can't detect the thermocline (or I don't know how to adjust it).

GdHkSet1
09-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Hey Vince,
I have noticed that the stripers, especially the bigger ones, are deeper now than a few weeks ago. I suspect the water temps have increased and the oxygen levels decreased and so the stripers are holding at 45' or deeper now versus 30' a few weeks ago. That's probably where the thermocline is and they are holding in the cooler oxygen rich water, and only coming up for short periods to feed. If anyone has a more sensitive fishfinder they can see and confirm the depth on the thermocline at present. My fishfinder can't detect the thermocline (or I don't know how to adjust it).

I do not know at this time bro, there is some smarter anglers on here that may be able to help out, but I'm making mental notes where I was and how my presentation was when I found the larger model. I'm sticking with main lake points/deeper structure for now. Saw that one of the stipers choked up little rocks size of dimes-thinking they may have been picking off some creatures off the bottom..never saw that before...good luck on your next outing...

fishinone
09-19-2011, 11:52 PM
That's a nice one.

Congrats on the PB

TrouTracker
09-20-2011, 12:33 AM
The stripers are searching for any kind of food source that they can find. That's why you'll see them bottom feeding on unusual food such as crawdads. In other areas, you'll see them feeding on a type of ghost shrimp. Typically, you'll see them feeding on shad. Best suggestion is to check the stomachs of the stripers that you catch and check out what they're feeding on. You'll be very surprised sometimes.........

diamondbear
09-20-2011, 11:08 AM
I found shrimp in the stomach a few weeks ago and the fish have moved deeper in just the last week or so . May I'll try trolling little rocks , lol

TroutOnly
09-21-2011, 07:24 PM
GOOD JOB VINCE,IF THERE DEEPER IT PROBABLY WHERE THE CIELING IS OF THE THERMOCLINE, 47FT USED TO BE THE AREA BACK IN THE DAY ,BUT THE STRIPERS WILL GO EVEN DEEPER THAN THE TROUT,,,,,,,,,,,I THINK ITS TIME FOR SOME DOUBLE DOWNRIGGER DEATH FOR MR STRIPEY ,STEVE DROPPED THE DEAL ON MY HEAD AND I JUST MY SHIPMENT FROM CABELAS,,,,,,,,,,,,,striperssometimes,,,,,,,,,,,

IN2DEEP
09-21-2011, 10:26 PM
I just figured out multi-quoating sorry. Steve, kudo's to you man. You and Gerald are slaying consistently via the troll- look fwd to hitting DV in a couple of weeks. Shifting gears and heading to the June loop for some trout trolling. Hope you get them next weekend.

Scott,
There are two pods of boats out there for B&W at the inlet and south of the saddle dam. Other than that it, boat traffic was sort of lite for a sunday. Good luck next weekend.
Vince, Thank you
Maybe I'll see you out there sometime

eddiefishtaco
09-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Congratulations on your pb, it looks like a 15 #dr to me,
troll deep and something will bite, my dad used to say,
the stripers are deep due to lack of oxygen on top
with this hot days, soon that will change with the shad booming
nice catch dude.

GdHkSet1
09-22-2011, 08:57 PM
That's a nice one.

Congrats on the PB
Thanks man, it's been a long wait for a DD, maybe one day I'll get my Smallie and some Crappie too, the lake has it all.

GOOD JOB VINCE,IF THERE DEEPER IT PROBABLY WHERE THE CIELING IS OF THE THERMOCLINE, 47FT USED TO BE THE AREA BACK IN THE DAY ,BUT THE STRIPERS WILL GO EVEN DEEPER THAN THE TROUT,,,,,,,,,,,I THINK ITS TIME FOR SOME DOUBLE DOWNRIGGER DEATH FOR MR STRIPEY ,STEVE DROPPED THE DEAL ON MY HEAD AND I JUST MY SHIPMENT FROM CABELAS,,,,,,,,,,,,,striperssometimes,,,,,,,,,,,
Bob, hope you guys tear it up next trip, the paper says Pyramid is the top notch striper lake right now, but DV is going to show her best days coming.

Vince, Thank you
Maybe I'll see you out there sometime
I'll be cruising in a old crestliner with the top on, say hi sometime in the troll lanes. Good luck, post some pics!

Congratulations on your pb, it looks like a 15 #dr to me,
troll deep and something will bite, my dad used to say,
the stripers are deep due to lack of oxygen on top
with this hot days, soon that will change with the shad booming
nice catch dude.
Eddie, you've pulled put some beasts yourself out there, your due man for another DD, that striper in the avatar 17-19?