PDA

View Full Version : Fairmount Report

carpanglerdude
09-18-2011, 08:57 PM
I fished Fairmount Park this evening, for a couple of hours. Threw a small crankbait and small plastic worm near the shoreline but didn't have any hits. Also had a pole setup for carp, hooked one near the end of my trip but it snapped the line after a few runs.

However, I wanted to ask about the golf course pond-I fished it later and was astounded at how low the water is. It looks like the water isn't coming through the pipe connecting it to the main lake. Interestingly, the main lake level is fairly normal, but the golf course pond level is below the pipe-I've never seen it this low before. Any ideas as to what is up? Someonbody throw a body into the pipe? j/k j/k...

Bassmaster Bob
09-19-2011, 06:48 AM
What did you hook the carp with? I see them jump all the time but only have my bass stuff and have been thinking of putting out a carp rig. I saw the pond too I thought it was shallower than the amount of water missing.

TheAsianGuy
09-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey CarpAD, the water from the golf course pond is directly affected by the main water outlet from the main lake. When the pipe that runs into golf course pond is plugged up with growth and sediment, not much water can pass into the smaller pond. That's why the water drops. Any fish in this pond is up for grab since they can't access the main lake to escape. The pond will be serviced a little later this month or next to prepare for the next rainy season. You can always do your own servicing schedule for the pond :LOL:

Bassmaster Bob, try using Masa dough ball, or just plain stale bread ball the size a 4oz flat sinker on a size 1 or 1/0 hook. You'll be surpise what these carp can do to your pole on hookup. Just make sure to watch your pole, and lighten your drag if you don't want to chase after the pole. No need to toss that bait too far out. Carps in this lake will come close to shore to hunt. Use Texas and Carolina rigs if you need that extra weight to cast far into the lake. 75 feet from shore is plenty.

ordane
09-19-2011, 11:42 AM
It probably is all clogged up.. I wonder about that too, the pipe is completely submerged in the big lake.

I fish Fairmount all the time even tho it is Skunk Lake!

carpanglerdude
09-19-2011, 01:52 PM
What did you hook the carp with? I see them jump all the time but only have my bass stuff and have been thinking of putting out a carp rig. I saw the pond too I thought it was shallower than the amount of water missing.

I usually fish bread on sliding rigs. Freelining works as well from what I've heard, but it's harder to cast. GL!

Shame the parks department would let the golf course pond dry up like that...