PDA

View Full Version : Two striper newbies catch they're first striper from boils.

fishinone
09-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Saturday's plan was to take a group of people from my fellowship group at church fishing on a party boat. With the economy like it is only 2 people were able to come.

I told them about the striper boils at Castaic and we changed the plan to fishing boils from my boat.

Mauricio and Daniel are interested in fishing but not currently involved. I checked out the gear they brought. The had 2 new Roddy Hunters with 40lb test color coordinated gold mono no more 2 years old.) I decided to lend them my poles but set their stuff up for them to use until it looked like they had the hang of it.

We saw boils first thing at the buoy line but didn't get in them. We practiced casting for a while then started looking for boils in the fish arm when it looked like success was likely. I showed them how to work the topwater lures we were using and Mauricio seemed to be getting the hang of it.

I saw a boil in a spot that I'm familiar with and rushed over there. I told them the fish in theis spot are pretty good about hitting the lures even when the boils are over. We cast out in the area. I had swirl bit no hookup them Mauricio exclaimed, "I' got one on."

You could tell by the sound of his voice that he was totally amazed.

He did a great job of trying to understand the babble coming from me explaining what he should and shouldn't do.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Fishing%20with%20Mauricio%20and%20Daniel%209-17-2011/IMG00797-20110917-0815.jpg
Here's Mauricio with his first striper.

We worked that cove for a while but there were know more takers.

After looking around down in Elizabeth Canyon we went back and tried again on sparse boils. Mauricio got the next. His reward for working that lure right. Daniel and I had blow ups, even got tension but didn't hook up. Before we pulled out I picked up another fish in the area of a boil long after the splashes.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Fishing%20with%20Mauricio%20and%20Daniel%209-17-2011/IMG00799-20110917-0943.jpg
Here's my skunk breaker.

The boils died around lunch time, so after a while we anchored up to do a little bait n wait and watch for action. I re-rigged the Roddy Hunters for bait, then just as we put them out the boils showed again. We agreed to wait until they showed one more time before pulling up the anchors. They came up like clock work and we were off.

This time we didn't wait long. They came up again just as a bunch of boil chasers were showing up. Nobody got on them the first time they came up. We guessed the next spot and were well positioned to pull right up on them when they showed.

Daniel and I pulled a double off of this one.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Fishing%20with%20Mauricio%20and%20Daniel%209-17-2011/IMG00800-20110917-1310.jpg
This is Daniels first striper!

That school came up a couple more times. By now the boil hoard was present. Those fish were pounced on from every direction when they came up. The hoard took a bunch of fish from the that school. I picked up 2 more.

Then it was nearing time for us to leave. We decided we had enough time to cruise the ski arm and look for boils one more time.

Then I ran out of gas. Embarrassing! By my calculation, I'm getting 3/4 mpg 1 mpg at the best. I guess the boat is overdo for a tune up. I've been having trouble with it quitting. I've got that fixed, it's not quitting! Well, not until I run out of gas anyway!:Embarrassed:

Thank you Mauricio and Daniel for fishing with me. You guys did great!

The days total was 7 fish, on a slow boil day.

SDDave
09-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Nice job on getting the rookies on fish, running out of gas is one way to get guests to ask if you need some gas money... Lol

fishinone
09-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Well they did help with the expenses. LOL

It might be easier, just to ask fro gas money.

SDDave
09-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Well they did help with the expenses. LOL

It might be easier, just to ask fro gas money.

Hell yeah, you heard the old saying right.... ***, gas or cash, nobody rides for free... Lol

karlow
09-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Hey were you the guys in the giant "I'm on the way to Catalina" cruiser? I saw you fling when we left about 2:30.
I made you at about 25 knts. That is a big pig to drag up the hill!
We were in the black and silver Tracker. We only got a couple. I guess we need to spend more time working the after boil.

KP

TroutOnly
09-18-2011, 09:06 PM
good job ron, you need a 4 stroke great milage and performance and quite enough leave running on the boilers,,,,,,,,,,S/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

TimelessFSR
09-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Hey Ron...thanks for helping me and my buddy the other weekend (the 2 newbies in the rental boat). It was great chatting with you out there...maybe next time I can take you up on your offer to run n' gun for striper boils...I'll chip in for gas too :Smile:

Gerard

fishinone
09-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Hey were you the guys in the giant "I'm on the way to Catalina" cruiser? I saw you fling when we left about 2:30.
I made you at about 25 knts. That is a big pig to drag up the hill!
We were in the black and silver Tracker. We only got a couple. I guess we need to spend more time working the after boil.

KP

No, We were in an 18ft Winner Center Console with a 150 Suzuki 2 stroke. I love it for fishing boils but I'm gonna have to learn to stay out of that throttle.

good job ron, you need a 4 stroke great milage and performance and quite enough leave running on the boilers,,,,,,,,,,S/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks Bob, I'd love to have one but it's not in the budget right now. They don't seem to mind mine idling but I've learned to throttle back way out going straight in then turn at low rpm before casting. They don't seem to like the noise it makes running hard.

Hey Ron...thanks for helping me and my buddy the other weekend (the 2 newbies in the rental boat). It was great chatting with you out there...maybe next time I can take you up on your offer to run n' gun for striper boils...I'll chip in for gas too :Smile:

Gerard

My pleasure Gerard. I enjoyed meeting you guys, you're welcome to join me sometime.

Did you get any.

Getting to those boils fast, even first can make all the difference. We had at least eight boats working one school on Saturday. I think everybody got fish but the guys who got there first got the most.

SDDave
09-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Ron, your not along when it comes to sucking fuel and oil chasing the boils, since I switch around to making bait and and slowing down my fuel economy has gone way back up, funny thing is I seem to be hitting just as many boils, they just happen to pop up right where I'm fishing!

trail blazer
09-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Great job RON,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
09-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Ron, your not along when it comes to sucking fuel and oil chasing the boils, since I switch around to making bait and and slowing down my fuel economy has gone way back up, funny thing is I seem to be hitting just as many boils, they just happen to pop up right where I'm fishing!

I know what you mean. I think the boats disturb the shad and give the striper an opening so they pop up right in front of the boat.

The other day I was heading for Elizabeth Canyon at 35 mph when the fish popped up right in front of me. There was nothing I could do, I blasted right through the middle of them. I went 50 yd did a U-turn stopped next to them and pulled a fish out of there. That seems to work better than cutting the throttle and stopping in them.

Great job RON,,,,,,,,,

Thank you Scott.

I haven't heard about you Bako Boys chasing boils. The fishing must be pretty good in the Duct.

karlow
09-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Ron
a 18ft boat getting under 1 mpg?
That's really bad.. but an engine can consume 10% of it power rating at WFO.
That means a 150HP motor can consume about 15gal/hr at WFO.
But then who runs around at WFO.
The last time I took my Skippy to Catalina, my mileage was down about 30%.
That put me down to about 1.5MPG. I had at least one fouled plug. I had to buy gas at the island!
The Skipp is a heavy 20' boat and it never ever sees WFO. That's 5.7L SBC which has to be good for 250-300HP.
Think 25-30 gal/Hr at WFO.

Change your plugs.
See ya on the water.

KP