PDA

View Full Version : Hali Surfin

Nipple Twister
09-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Based on the swell and surf condition reports I decided to hit my local A.O. Was hoping with the cloud cover and the moon being shadowed the bite would have improved, fish tacos sounds really good so I was going to concentrate on bottom fish :LOL:.

Time: 0630 Hrs
Water temp: low 60s
Air temp; mis 60s cloudy
Surf: 2'-3'
Tide: low but incoming
Water clarity: good
Bait: Team member LC Flash Minnow American Shad

Looking to start at a known trench area things appeared good but I was not alone, plenty of other fisherman but still plenty of room. Worked that area for maybe a couple of hours, no joy. As I worked my way down the beach I came accross a fellow FNNer (Hey Chuck), we chatted a bit and went right back to work. Shortly afterwards I saw him bring in a shorty, good sign! I began to move down the beach, having to go around a few others to avoid passing under thier line/s over the beach. The tide still slowly incoming things seem right for a surf hali....nearing the end of a area I finally get a hit, not real hard but wanting to fight up and down the beach. I let it play and take my time bringing it to shore and as i do I finally get a glimsp.....that white flash, a flattie :Big Grin:.........
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach091711a.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach091711b.jpg

It clearly appeared short to me so I didn't measure it but i'm guessing 15-18 inches...

I was looking to head to an area I have yet to go so down the beach I go, less waves but also shallower water. I keep at it and as I get closer to the structure things get tougher....salad, salad and more salad......every third cast was hook clearing. I can see why I don't see a lot of activity down here, all the junk floats to this corner. As I work my return I can see what looks like Corbina surfacing in the shallow water close to me but they where having nothing to do with me. A school of dolphins moves thru the area close enough I could have casted to them, looks like they where after the bait in the water pushing thru the waves as they pass over them....very cool.
As a get closer to where I started the tide has clearly come in, easily 5'+ tide. With waves now breaking right on the sand made it had for LC retrieve, pushin it fast at you, tumbling it around, braid getting twisted up in the hooks so close to 1100 Hrs I was thinking of calling it. As I stand to clear a hook/line intanglement, looking down the beach, not paying the surf it's due attention and yup, you guessed it.......one big shore pound breaks right on top of me.....not knocking me down but a good soaking and water down the waders! rookie mistake :Angry::Rolls Eyes:......."check please"!
Calling it I waddle back to the Jeep and load up, cool with beating the :Skunk: but getting a little reminder about keeping my head in the game......no worries, good times...

Hope everyone is having productive outings, Tight lines....'til next time, thanks for listening....:Wink:

headcase881
09-17-2011, 06:26 PM
D@MN those rouge waves................

Wingnut
09-17-2011, 07:36 PM
"Check please..." :ROFL:
Nice session NT, you fish hard... I like that. :Cool:

Which Way Out
09-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Oh yea the wave over the head sucks. Had it happen twice in one day this year.
Nice fish.

PONTOON
09-18-2011, 11:47 AM
NT,

Now there's pay back for all those times you had a chuckle when I got the ole' water up the jacket and down the wader shot.:LOL:

Keep up the good work and I'm enjoying your reports here on FNN.:Wink:

I'll see ya Tuesday

vanillagurilla
09-18-2011, 11:52 AM
one reason why i dont wear waders, id rather be cold and wet then dead lol.

SP Dan
09-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey NT!
Great report! It' good to read that other anglers are out there having the same experiences that I'm having. I just haven't had the wave thing happen to me yet! :Singing In Rain:

SP Dan <"))><

bsp
09-18-2011, 12:31 PM

Like you really need waders to fish the Bolsa Chica jetties and Long Beach/LAB? There are never waves big enough in those areas to get anything above your waist wet.

Good job on the pancakes NT! Wait until you start jumping over waves in the surf. Sometimes you've gotta tread water, but it's always a fun time.

keepemlo
09-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Yeah I often thought about a suit but I never pulled the trigger on it

Nipple Twister
09-18-2011, 06:20 PM
headcase881
D@MN those rouge waves................

Can't blame the surf....it was clearly a cockpit error... :Angry:

Wingnut
"Check please..."
Nice session NT, you fish hard... I like that.

Thx Arthur ....... "I have a dream, oh lord o' mighty I have a dream"..... :Wink:

Which Way Out
Oh yea the wave over the head sucks. Had it happen twice in one day this year.
Nice fish.

Thx WhichWayOut ..... I just soon that be it for the year....... :Embarrassed:

PONTOON
NT,

Now there's pay back for all those times you had a chuckle when I got the ole' water up the jacket and down the wader shot.

Keep up the good work and I'm enjoying your reports here on FNN.

I'll see ya Tuesday

Thx Big Man, yeah karma is a *****...it's all good. Missed ya out there but I know you have bigger plans for now .....thx for commenting and see ya Tues ....give her a hug from all of us too! :Wink:

vanillagurilla

VG, its more of a comfort thing as well as having the boots to walk over rocky type structure areas. It's nice to be dry, most of the time, for the drive home too. With all the other gear I'm wearing the waders are the least of my worries......:Cool:

SP Dan
Hey NT!
Great report! It' good to read that other anglers are out there having the same experiences that I'm having. I just haven't had the wave thing happen to me yet!

SP Dan <"))>< .

Thx Dan .....just for fun everyone should experience it at least once.....go ahead, it's fun ... :ROFL:

bsp
Good job on the pancakes NT! Wait until you start jumping over waves in the surf. Sometimes you've gotta tread water, but it's always a fun time.

Thx BSP .... being vertically challeged I have to be very careful how far I wander out but as Pontoon said he has tried to get me out there in the flooded wader zone ...:Confused:

keepemlo
Yeah I often thought about a suit but I never pulled the trigger on it

By the time Ol' Man Winter gets here I will be happy to have'm ...thx...

murrieta angler
09-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Good job out there NT.
Getting home, without the smell, is always a good thing.
As far as the water in the waders, Sometimes I just say, "Screw It" and take em off and get back in the surf!
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

CheapMono
09-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Hey NT, Great meeting you on Saturday.
Way to stay after it on a sloooow morning and not be denied. I know you earned it fishing between the surfers and the bucket brigade. Nice job out there!!
Chuck