PDA

View Full Version : WSB in the AB 9/15

SeapointFlyGuy
09-17-2011, 01:22 AM
Late report.

Took the kayak out with the 8-weight fly rod in Alamitos Bay Thursday late morning-ish. Did lots of paddling and casting to no avail. Was just about to give it up when suddenly I was surrounded by bait boils. Never experienced anything quite like that, bait boils in a bay. So I switched to an olive/white clouser and started casting to the boils the best I could.

....and after a bit of trying something grabbed the fly but good - which turned out to be a fun little WSB, only my third one ever (one of the other two was earlier this year in the back bay Newport, and the other last year from the beach in LBC, all on clousers). Great way to beat the skunk.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8148/oogabooga002.jpg

Ifishtoolittle
09-17-2011, 01:38 AM
I can't possibly think of a better way to end a bay sesh. Excellent work on the WSB!

Ifishtoolittle
09-17-2011, 01:40 AM
Oh I have a random question for you. Aside from the obvious, what kinds of SW fish have you caught on flies? And is the clouser your go to? I'm not a fly guy but I have flicked a fly here and there a few times.

SeapointFlyGuy
09-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Same fish the rest of you catch from the surf and the bays, and yes I am usually throwing some kind of clouser pattern 80%+ of the time. Some days I even out-fish the gear guys.

SP Dan
09-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Hey SeapointFlyGuy!

Nice looking WSB Jr.! I haven't landed mine yet :Envious:, still on my list!
Good reading report.

Thank you, :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
09-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Nice looking WSB.
I'm sure it put up a decent little fight also.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><