PDA

View Full Version : LA County Beach Striper Question

carpanglerdude
09-16-2011, 09:37 PM
I came across a blog with a photo of a fellow with a striper landed at a Los Angeles-area beach. This is the first time I have heard of stripers being caught in the ocean in this area. Does this happen very often? Searches didn't yield much for me.

Link: http://www.moldychum.com/home-old/2011/9/13/sept-sotm-entry-la-county-striper.html

Photo:
http://www.moldychum.com/storage/la-county-striper.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=13158746928 22

Ifishtoolittle
09-16-2011, 09:48 PM
It wouldn't be so bad if we had a little more stripers around the LA area but not enough to do any damage towards the desirable species population.

DockRat
09-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Dude, That is a insane Huge SMB Striper.
Pretty rare catch of a lifetime in So Cal.
You could surf fish everyday for years and never get one that big.
DR

jerryG
09-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Actually stripers are caught off Socal beaches more often than most think. I have two friends that have landed stripers locally with in the past year or so BSP(Marc) and Sharkbait (Anthony). A former co-worker's brother was surfing Malibu one day when he saw some stripers in the surf line. He fished the for next several days after work and managed a total of 11 stripers.

About a year ago on a board on another site someone posted a roll call for anyone who has caught a striper from the surf in SoCal to post their stories and or pics. The post received pages of responses with many people coming forward. There were even a few guys who had caught several stripers from local beaches over the years. Both fly and conventional Anglers alike.

No one really seems to know if the stripers in our local surf are the ancestors of the fish stocked by the DFG during their attempt to introduce stripers to our local inshore waters in the early 80's or if the fish just made their way down the coast from Norcal but we know that they been around Socal for years. Perch anglers don't really catch many stripers however with the growing number of anglers targeting halibut in the surf we are starting to see more incidental striper catches. I can't wait to get one my self.

Jerryg

bsp
09-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Stripers are pretty rare to catch since people aren't terribly willing to share how to target them. After I caught mine, I got a few PMs on another board about catching them, and before I got mine I has spent some time talking with jerryG about them. To be blunt, there really aren't enough of them about to be a dedicated surf striper fisherman. That said, there are people that understand what conditions bring them into the surf along with which areas seem to attract stripers consistently, and those guys have managed to catch a few of them over the years. I am sure that there are guys who are very dialed in, but they obviously have kept it on the down low.

I have an idea as to which techniques you can use to increase your odds of catching a striper and what conditions they like along with the areas, but nothing concrete. I've only got one, so I'm pretty far from an expert. Best advice though would be to focus on throwing bait fish imitating lures and only those, like jerryG alluded to. A few have been caught on sand crabs, but most are on bait fish imitators like Krocs and jerkbaits.

jerr-dog
09-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Good stuff thanks for sharing.

DockRat
09-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Good stuff thanks for sharing.

X2

Only heard of a few myself.
Reminds me of Salmon, guys catching Salmon off Redondo and other areas. About 6-7 years back there was a few Salmon were hanging out for a couple days under the
fuel dock.

Any FNNers land any Salmon?

Back in high school around 1977 there was a Swordfish under a dock in King Harbor
for a few days.
DR

blackwater
09-27-2011, 02:50 PM
X2

Only heard of a few myself.
Reminds me of Salmon, guys catching Salmon off Redondo and other areas. About 6-7 years back there was a few Salmon were hanging out for a couple days under the
fuel dock.

Any FNNers land any Salmon?

Back in high school around 1977 there was a Swordfish under a dock in King Harbor
for a few days.
DR

This guy got one a few years back, lol

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture030-11.jpg