PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the Pens 9/13

webmaster
09-16-2011, 05:54 PM
I have a friend who wanted to take his dad fishing and he asked if I could help. His dad is 71 and has stage 4 cancer so he wanted to see if we could hook him on to something nice. I told him the tuna pens some 50 miles south of SD is the only game right now and even thats slow, we only got one there last week.

We decide to take the gamble and head out monday night. We arrive right at greylight tuesday morning. I throw out my first bait and it is slammed right away. I give it to Mike and he battles it like an old pro. After a short while, a 15 pound bluefin hits the deck.

My next bait is a repeat of the same but this one is mine. A short fight later and bluefin #2 is gaffed.

At this point we're thinking it's game on but guess what? No more action for the next couple of hours. Dropped down to #12 test and they still didn't want to play.

We decide to head towards the rockpile and see if there's any yellowtail around. On the way we stop on some nice paddys but there was nobody home. Upon arriving to the rockipile we are greeted with birds crashing and yellows boiling. We throw our baits in and its instant triple hookup! Unfortunately, we were still in finicky bluefin mode with light line and small hooks - no match for the 20# grade yellows. One by one we farmed them all.

We switched to heavier line and bigger hooks but they sunk out and never really came up again. Stopped by the Coronados but didn't catch anything there. Cleaned the fish and headed home after another great trip aboard the Keilani II.

This is one of the "Pens" that the fleet has been fishing around. They are full of commercial-caught bluefin, but their free swimming buddies are hanging around the outside keeping them company.

Banana shot - that's for you Bob.

The bite seems to be picking back up. I may go again this monday if I can get a crew together. If you're interested, send me a PM.
Jeff

DockRat
09-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Nice catch Jeff, Mike & Son. :High Five:
DR

catfish 17
09-16-2011, 10:49 PM
That's nice that u got them on fish.

TUNAVIC
09-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Way to go those were some nice fish,enjoy the sashimi! I wish your buudy's Pop the best, good job on gettin him on fish.

Tuna Vic

Hometown
09-18-2011, 01:29 PM
great report i need to get out there before its to late.Praying for your friend

TroutOnly
09-18-2011, 09:30 PM
THERES THAT BANANA AGAIN,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,,,

E.A.R.G.
09-18-2011, 10:26 PM
always great to see fish on that deck!
That triple yellow hookup must have been nucking futs!! dang! too bad they came off!!

JapanRon
09-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi webmaster,

Nice goin' on the hook-up to hookup !!

JapanRon

Daryl
09-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Good stuff. Those bluefin sure are tasty.