PDA

View Full Version : Favorite fall eastern sierra lake?

DC5fishR
09-14-2011, 08:08 PM
What's your favorite lake to fish at during the fall colors? I've never been up there during the fall and was wondering which lakes might be the best for productivity and scenery.

1HR2BBL
09-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Fall colors : rock creek lake, convict, south lake and sabrina.
Fishing: south lake and sabrina

MexicanPistachio
09-14-2011, 09:50 PM
I second Rock Creek Lake.

flytyingreloader
09-14-2011, 10:09 PM
What 2BBL said.

Sierra_Smitty
09-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Scenery depends on timing but...Sabrina is flat out as good as it gets when it's at its peak. Fishing is good too. South is fun but even at it's peak it's not Sabrina. Silver in the loop is amazing when the aspens are good. Not a fan of Mammoth or Convict comparatively. Lundy is pretty amazing. RCL is nice but a shorter season and I can't say much about the fishing at the roadside waters.

TROUT MASTERS
09-15-2011, 06:35 AM
All the lakes and creeks in eastern sierra's.
Gods country !

stallion21
09-15-2011, 06:59 AM
I'll take the fall color on those big browns on the East Walker River any time!

DC5fishR
09-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Which lakes would be best for the first two weeks of october? I'm thinking about Sabrina, Convict, South Lake , and maybe Silver Lake. Will Silver lake be much colder than the others? I haven't had too much experience at Rock Creek Lake, so I'm not sure about that one. Do the big ones get hungry/stocked more during the end of the season? I plan to CPR all the fish.

Which Way Out
09-15-2011, 11:30 AM
I am going back to So. Lake in Oct because of the fishing and the colors. Outstanding in every respect.
If your gonna have time to drive around and search out all the locations your a lucky person..

1HR2BBL
09-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Which lakes would be best for the first two weeks of october? I'm thinking about Sabrina, Convict, South Lake , and maybe Silver Lake. Will Silver lake be much colder than the others? I haven't had too much experience at Rock Creek Lake, so I'm not sure about that one. Do the big ones get hungry/stocked more during the end of the season? I plan to CPR all the fish.
Inlets are usually great for fall time since browns and some rainbows fatten up and get ready to spawn. Drawback is the inlets are a good walk from parking lots at most eastern sierra lakes.

HBAR
09-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Wife and I are going to be there Oct 6-10 staying at the Haven on June lake, gonna check out all those places maybe even hook into a tagged fish and score some $, either way thanks to Adam, Mike and Bill at WON for making this happen.

ityperx
09-15-2011, 12:33 PM
I just recently return from my trip up there. However, it didn't really feel like fall just yet, except for the cold nights. South, and Sabrina lakes still feels like its summer aside from the blistering winds. Rock creek lake water temp was warm enough for me to take a quick dip in. Bridgeport/East walker river, I actually caught a small carp instead of a trout. Saddlebag and Ellery lake scenery is exceptional no matter the season. If you take hikes within the twenty lakes basin, greenstone/hummingbird lake is a must see.

SierraPeaks
09-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Inlets are usually great for fall time since browns and some rainbows fatten up and get ready to spawn. Drawback is the inlets are a good walk from parking lots at most eastern sierra lakes.

That's what boats are for. :)

TroutOnly
09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
GRANT LAKE AT THE LOOP, MEDIUM SCENERY,,,,BIGASS TROUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,EVERY TIME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,

sierraslam
09-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Got to love the Rush Creek inlet to Grant. Brownies!

pc2mac
09-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Don't forget Lundy Lake and Virginia Lakes, they can put on quite a fall color show if you catch it right. I usually drive up to Virgina Lakes first and then stop by Lundy, and then the June Lakes loop. Timing is everything, it can vary year to year when the fall colors go off. You can check this site for reports:

http://www.californiafallcolor.com/?p=853

sierraslam
09-22-2011, 08:32 PM
I'll check it out this weekend pc2mac. Going up to Saddlebag and 20 lakes. good to see you checkin in.

cjschock
09-22-2011, 09:21 PM
The bishop creek drainage is pretty but the big browns in the loop or bridgeport are hard to beat. Rock creek lake to see the brookies in their spawning colors is also a pretty sight.

shinbob
09-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Rock creek lake to see the brookies in their spawning colors is also a pretty sight.

I love the fall colors in the sierras, but for me the most spectacular sight may in fact be those spawning brookies. The little "pond" below Rock Creek Lake is also a great place to catch these guys.