PDA

View Full Version : Newport Beach Today (PM) 8/14/07

cubano3107
08-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Guys, I am going to newport beach today for some surf fishing, maybe some pier fishing. I am new to surf fishing and I would like some tips. If anyone wants to meet me there, let me know. I will be getting there at about 5:00pm. Later.

Manny

bullets_full
08-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Use sand crabs and/or ghost shrimp in the surf. Carolina rig them on light tackle. Cast out just beyond the white wash of the breaking waves and retrieve SLOWLY just to keep the line tight. You'll know when you get hit.

cubano3107
08-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip. Where do I find the sandcrabs? I know they are in the sand, but how do I find them? What do I look for? THanks

pipelayer5150
08-14-2007, 02:00 PM
you'll see little dimples in the sand around the tide level when the waves wash in and out. The softshell ones and the ones with eggs ( bright orange underbelly) r the best. hook them throught the but and try to kep them alive small hooks like owner mosquitos size 4-8 depending on the size of the crab.

KaliDawgFan
08-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip. Where do I find the sandcrabs? I know they are in the sand, but how do I find them? What do I look for? Thanks

Look for sandpipers or other birds too.

cubano3107
08-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Cool, thanks guys. There are some rocks north of the newport pier. they dont go out too far. Has anyone had any luck there? If so, what type of bait, lure, or rig can I use? Or should I just stick to the surf, if so, north of the pier or south of the pier? Thanks

NoFriends
08-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Cool, thanks guys. There are some rocks north of the newport pier. they dont go out too far. Has anyone had any luck there? If so, what type of bait, lure, or rig can I use? Or should I just stick to the surf, if so, north of the pier or south of the pier? Thanks

Those would be jetties you are fishing from. Just watch out for surfers and bodyboarders.......I think you will mainly catch perch and croakers. I would say South of the np pier but it gets pretty crowded

victor101
08-14-2007, 03:18 PM
try this. you are almost guaranteed to catch something from the surf. http://fishingnetwork.net/surfperch.htm there are lots of reports here with an ishload of info. good luck and dont forget to post a report with lots of pics :thumb:

CUBA LIBRE!!

Fisher-of-Men
08-14-2007, 03:48 PM
you'll see little dimples in the sand around the tide level when the waves wash in and out. The softshell ones and the ones with eggs ( bright orange underbelly) r the best. hook them throught the but and try to kep them alive small hooks like owner mosquitos size 4-8 depending on the size of the crab.

What kind of fish would bite on a sand crab when fishing from the shore?

I don't do much salt water fishing. :?

Fisher-of-Men

cubano3107
08-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. I will let you guys know tomorrow if I had any luck. Thanks.

LOL (VIVA CUBA LIBRE)

victor101
08-14-2007, 04:27 PM

What kind of fish would bite on a sand crab when fishing from the shore?

I don't do much salt water fishing. :?

Fisher-of-Men

perch, corbina...

cubano3107
08-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Guys, I tried what you told me yesterday between the two finger jetties (32nd - 28th street). Had some bites, only hooked two surf perchs. Overall had fun. Tons of sand crabs. Too many people in the water, I think they scared the fish away. Might go back today again. Maybe try a new spot.

victor101
08-15-2007, 01:58 PM
cool, what were you using for bait?

cubano3107
08-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Sand crabs.