PDA

View Full Version : Lake Cahuilla trip this saterday.

Fly Fisher
09-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Hi.
i am heading out to lake cahuilla this Saturday morning for bluegills and then again at night for catfish, does any one have any spots where they know cats will be? i have been to this lake 10 times or so over the summer and only come home with 1-2 cats if im lucky. and what bait should i use? i have been using raw shrimp i have in the freezer and i was going to try some cut bluegill this time around to see how that goes but please if you have good luck with something else please let me know and ill give it a try!

CCfisherman
09-14-2011, 03:47 PM
I fish with night crawler most of the time or meal worms on #6 & #8 hook works good for me. Rig up bubble with 1 1/2 - 2' leader. You can cath gills all over the lake, have to sigh fish for them. If you see em you'll get em. Try the concrete structure/outlet over by camp ground. I've caught many gills there in the past. Good luck out there. Don't forget to take picture and post report.

fishreaper
09-14-2011, 04:02 PM
ahh my home lake...i see people fishing the beach area and the jetty for cats.. ive caught a 5lb flat head and a 3 pound channel by the concrete area near the camp grounds..used shrimp for bait..also caught a channel cat with a rapala rattling lure. good luck

CCfisherman
09-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Great info Fishreaper,thanks. Don't know flathead fish are in lake Cahuilla. Is the 5lber the only flathead you got from there?

Fly Fisher
09-14-2011, 06:19 PM
thanks! i have tried the beach but seam to only have luck just after they stock it.
u will try the other two spots you are talking about, thanks again!

Fly Fisher
09-14-2011, 06:21 PM
there's a few really big flat head in there i hear that it is best to use gold fish or other live bait for them, they pulled a 18 pound flat head out of there or so says the ranger!

Desertfishen2
09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I saw a guy pull 2 flats out of there both of them over 30 lbs and I have caught one from the coachella canal that feed the lake and it was 35lbs and my son has a 42lb from the canal. so there are some huge flats out there.

Fly Fisher
09-14-2011, 07:48 PM
well here photos of the bluegill in the lake and they even have bass in there!
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc413/gamehobo/fishing/IMAG0612.jpghttp://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc413/gamehobo/fishing/IMAG0608-3.jpg

fullstringer
09-14-2011, 09:49 PM
U are in the right spot for bluegill,I use drop shot trout worms and long shank hook. channels like moving water with structure and no it's not the intake.

Fly Fisher
09-14-2011, 10:03 PM
all right thanks!! ill give a report on the day for ever one!!

CCfisherman
09-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Fly Fisher, thanks for sharing your pictures with us. Hope you slay them gills and cats on Saturday.

Fly Fisher
09-15-2011, 08:15 AM
me too :) thanks CCfisherman!!

P1M
09-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Fly fisher please give a report! Im thinking of trying to get out there as well just don't know if it will be tomorrow or Saturday night.

Fly Fisher
09-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I will make sure to give a report for Saturday morning, I will also be heading out Saturday night but will make a report for both the morning and the night.

P1M
09-15-2011, 10:12 AM
cool I might see you out there saturday night. I will have a white explorer and I'll most likely bring my 6yr old because for some reason he is good luck and I'm beginning to think he is a better fisherman then me. Last saturday night at cahullia he won first fish caught, biggest fish and most fish.

Which Way Out
09-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Let me give you a tour of the fishing spots.

Starting at the Inlet and going clockwise.

At the inlet if the water is Slowly rolling in use a small bobber with a Red and White mini jig under it about 2 feet. Crappie hit em. Don't pull hard or quick or you will rip there lips off. A real limber rod is best. Always best just before they close the lake of course.

The dirt jetty at inlet.
Fish the Northside. Once again if the water is moving its better. Carolina rig plastic worms and work the jetty edge, then the shallow trench that runs along the jetty out about 30 feet. This will more than likely get you largemouth bass. Striped Bass have been caught there as well so don't be surprised if you get something fast and big. I have seen SB as big as 20 pounds but that was years ago.
Flatheads also up to 40+ pounds. Best with sunfish for bait.
The north end of the lake can do well but only did well in a small boat. That part of the lake gets shallow so unless the lake level is up skip that area.

Now over at the eastside.
This part of the lake across from the dirt jetty theres a blockwalled structure. Trout, Bass and carp can be caught. If the water is coming into the lake there will be a good current between ths shore and the dirt jetty. The Trout like it a little bit. You can cast to some of the bottom structure. Well if it was left in place after the water company removed the silt build up a few years ago.

At one time there were over 1500 tires laid on the bottom of the lake, along with hundreds of concrete blocks stacked in piles llike fish condos. The tires were chained together and large holes cut into them so they don't float. Most are just out of casting range but produced habitat for small fish to live.

Now out on the concrete jetty.
The best place is to cast is off the end and aim at the entrance guardhouse. This is one of the best places for catfish using the small type Red earth worms. Put a few on the hook and cast about 30 feet out. The lake has a Hump in the bottom of it running from the outlet to the end of where the canal ends just past the inlet. That Hump is a underground pipe line so the water co. can transfer water through to the farmers without it going into the lake.
Between that hump running left and right, and the eastside shoreline is the deepest section of the lake. It may only be 3 to 4 feet deeper but this is where you will find the Trout in the winter when stocked.

Corners.
One spot I liked to fish was the corners of the concrete jetty. On each side. Mostly the northside about haft way down the jetty If the conditions are right. Tumbleweeds used to get blown into the corners and the small bait fish would get in there. Great Crappie fishing when right, like this time of year.

Fishing the Bend between the concrete jetty and the Outlet.
Bait and wait for trout, carp and cats. No need to cast far if the water level is up. The trout cruise the bank steps as structure. Most people cast to far. The best fisherman only just cast out 15 to 20 feet and limit out by 9 am. There is or at least there used to be a Huge earthmover tire along the curve out about 30 feet in line with one of the bathroom structures. Don't ask how it got there!!!:Wink: Find it and there could be some kitties hanging out in it.:Secret:
Tip; Do not lay your rods down on the ground. Be sure they are secured to something. Carp just love to take them:LOL: They don't go far but when people see there rod shooting away they dive for it and come up all beat up from the shoreline cement. Seen it lots of times. Funny most of the time:Envious:

Outlet.
Fish the northside for trout. Southside is ok but only for about 50 feet. Go to far and your on the shallow side of the pipeline that runs down the middle of the lake.

The campground shore.
Has never been a good producer of fish. Yea now and then you might catch a few fish.

The pumps.
There are (were) 2 pumps that are located west of the campground down in the water. Catch small sunfish here. Use palm size ones for live bait and then fish off the sandy point west of the pumps around the curve. Toss em out and wait. Used to be a group of tires out there and the cats can be in the 5 to 10 pound range.
Never fished the beach. Always closed for swimming, but with the pool there I am not sure now.

Good luck

P1M
09-15-2011, 02:58 PM
which way out....great pointers some spots I knew some I didn't. Now I'm all exicted to get a line wet. Thanks for the info.

CCfisherman
09-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Great info WWO...... thanks for your time typing all that info for us....

Which Way Out
09-15-2011, 05:41 PM
which way out....great pointers some spots I knew some I didn't. Now I'm all exicted to get a line wet. Thanks for the info.

Anytime guys.
I used to live out there in that damn heat so anytime I can help from here I don't mind.:Cool:

Catsfordays
09-15-2011, 06:58 PM
WWO........That's some detailed info........Did you work for the water district?

Fly Fisher
09-15-2011, 07:13 PM
wow!! thanks so much!!!!
i always love going to the lake but never knew any thing like this! i was one of the people that cast as far out as i could for trout and never got one, ill be fishing a lot differently now, thanks again!!!

Which Way Out
09-15-2011, 08:35 PM

WWO........That's some detailed info........Did you work for the water district?
Yes and No.
To tell the truth I did some time as a Ranger at the lake and then some time with CVWD.

wow!! thanks so much!!!!
i always love going to the lake but never knew any thing like this! i was one of the people that cast as far out as i could for trout and never got one, ill be fishing a lot differently now, thanks again!!!

The only thing I can't be certain of is if the tires and blocks are still there or not. The Water co. every 8 to 10 years lowers the water level down and removes the silt build up off the bottom of the lake. So if the lake is low and you can see them I would guess that there still there. I haven't been there in years.

Fly Fisher
09-15-2011, 08:38 PM
thanks! ill have to ask may be they know at the front desk?!?

Fly Fisher
09-17-2011, 03:33 PM
well im back form my trip to the lake this morning and i got around 6-7 bluegill and one baby bass, i have a photo of the bass but not the bluegill sorry, they were only 6" at most.
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc413/gamehobo/fishing/IMAG0677-1.jpg

i got no catfish this morning but am going back tonight at 5 to see what i can find!!

CCfisherman
09-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Nice going out there, glad to see you caught some fish. Hope you put the hurt to them kitty tonight.

Fly Fisher
09-17-2011, 11:42 PM
I will post photos of tonight's catch in the morning. I was using chicken lover and should I had no luck with that sh*t is most likely because I have used it before and put it in the freezer for the next trip.
I believe the fish know it has me frozen and do not bite on.
I had great luck with chicken liver however I caught one good size cat and a baby catfish. I have friends getting bites on the liver also it seems to be the best Fishing bait for catfish I have used recently. It is hard to love but I would suggest putting it on a travel book and throwing it out on a Carolina Ridge, try not to use a large trouble.

Fly Fisher
09-17-2011, 11:43 PM
I do apologize for what looks to be language in the previous post, my phone auto corrected and corrected the wrong words. I will type out my report in the morning when I am fully rested one again my deepest apologiese

Catsfordays
09-18-2011, 07:15 AM
Sure........It sounds like one too many cold ones. LOL

Fly Fisher
09-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Sure........It sounds like one too many cold ones. LOL

haha na i have a droid with dragon so its still learning my voice, any way on with the report....

i headed out to the lake last night and the plan was to use bluegill as bait, well i put back the ones i got that morning because i did not have any thing to keep them live till 5 pm so i just figured i would get more when i got back.
well the night crawlers i had died and i did not want to buy 50 more and use 5-10 so i used small bits of shrimp i had in the ice bucket.
i had a few bites but no fish :( any way so after about 10 min of trill and error i started fishing for cats.

i parked just before the small jetty and put out the lines with raw shrimp on a circle hook but i have had it for around 5 weeks in the ice box and i think the fish dont like it when i refreeze the shrimp! i had no luck with the shrimp how ever i did when i first got it form ralphs so ill have to try it one more time but this time strait from the store!!

after about 45 min i but a treble hook with chicken liver on one of my lines and got little bites all the way till i had to leave at 9pm, i go a 2 or so lb put my line back in then got a massive bit that pulled the rod right over on its self (must have been big, smart and knew it was a hook) but it got away right away.
around 8:30pm i got a bite set the hook but it was dark and could not see a thing so i set it so hard i pulled it right out of the water and found it was just a baby cat no more then 1/2 pound. after that i headed home.

if you go out soon and plan on using my spot i would say one thing, cast no more then 20 feet since the cats troll the bank, if you want.... try putting liver on a bobber since the cats seemed to be feeding on top also!
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc413/gamehobo/fishing/IMAG0681.jpg

CCfisherman
09-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Good looking catfish you got there. Perfect eater size one too.

Fly Fisher
09-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Good looking catfish you got there. Perfect eater size one too.
yup thanks, its going to be dinner tonight xD

M@M
09-18-2011, 05:26 PM
:Smile:..Which Way Out....... WOW!! Thanks!! great info! .....Don't know if I'll ever be fishing in this area....but SUPER COOL of you to let us know what's up........if I can ever return the favor..will be happy to do so!!! :Thumbs Up:

Fly Fisher
09-18-2011, 05:28 PM
:Smile:..Which Way Out....... WOW!! Thanks!! great info! .....Don't know if I'll ever be fishing in this area....but SUPER COOL of you to let us know what's up........if I can ever return the favor..will be happy to do so!!! :Thumbs Up:

glade to be of help! thanks again and happy fishing!!

Which Way Out
09-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Good going guys. I am gonna keep an eye on your reports. Kinda of like I am homesick or something.

How's the lake looking these days?

Fly Fisher
09-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Good going guys. I am gonna keep an eye on your reports. Kinda of like I am homesick or something.

How's the lake looking these days?

same old same old, how long since you have been out there?

Which Way Out
09-19-2011, 09:35 AM
same old same old, how long since you have been out there?

Wow its been along time, maybe 10 + years at least.
What did you find out about the tires and blocks?

Fly Fisher
09-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Wow its been along time, maybe 10 + years at least.
What did you find out about the tires and blocks?

i forget to ask but will the next time i go, they may have added a new playground and picnic area since the last time you came but other then that its all the same so far as i know.

the lake is the same they still should add a dock from my opinion!

Which Way Out
09-20-2011, 05:33 PM
i forget to ask but will the next time i go, they may have added a new playground and picnic area since the last time you came but other then that its all the same so far as i know.

the lake is the same they still should add a dock from my opinion!

There was a dock at one time over by the campground on the southeast corner of the lake. But it got destroyed by the intense waves. Waves??? Yea, when the water co. kept the lake full and the wind was howling like I am sure you know, living in La Quinta and all. It just got bashed all over until it was no longer safe. Even years ago before I was there the lake had a dock over by the inlet between the dirt jetty and the beach. Paddle boat rentals and what not.

Do they still let boats on the lake? We used small boats with electric trolling motors on em and fish the entire lake. There are a few tricks I know about doing that as well.

Don't get me started on how one night we water skied the lake during a full moon with a friends ski boat:Secret:

Fly Fisher
09-20-2011, 07:38 PM
There was a dock at one time over by the campground on the southeast corner of the lake. But it got destroyed by the intense waves. Waves??? Yea, when the water co. kept the lake full and the wind was howling like I am sure you know, living in La Quinta and all. It just got bashed all over until it was no longer safe. Even years ago before I was there the lake had a dock over by the inlet between the dirt jetty and the beach. Paddle boat rentals and what not.

Do they still let boats on the lake? We used small boats with electric trolling motors on em and fish the entire lake. There are a few tricks I know about doing that as well.

Don't get me started on how one night we water skied the lake during a full moon with a friends ski boat:Secret: wow xD no they no longer have them but i can see where they used to be!

P1M
09-21-2011, 08:59 AM

Don't get me started on how one night we water skied the lake during a full moon with a friends ski boat:Secret:

I have seen some unreal waves out there that where just crazy!

CraigH
09-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Do they still allow float tubes on the lake? I haven't been there for at least 10 years, but we used to float tube it or take a friends 14 foot aluminum boat with electric motor. You could launch off the beach and leave the truck/trailer parked on the beach back then. Does anyone remember when they used to race the mini speed boats out there? It didn't seem safe having boats going that fast on a small lake with a concrete shore.

fishreaper
09-24-2011, 04:14 PM
yeah float tubes are allowed but no aluminum boats are allowed

Which Way Out
09-24-2011, 11:42 PM
yeah float tubes are allowed but no aluminum boats are allowed

Why no aluminum boats?

fishreaper
09-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Why no aluminum boats?

dont know, i believe fiberglass is allowed..i will be out in my float tube this season..

fullstringer
09-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Which Way Out
Why no aluminum boats?
because of the mussel problems

Which Way Out
09-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Which Way Out
Why no aluminum boats?
because of the mussel problems

Thank you very much. I did not know the rules had changed.:Wink:

It sounds like some of the public has not heard of this.
Good luck at the lake

fullstringer
09-26-2011, 11:19 PM
33109Thanks for tip.It's the same kind of measures that a lot of lakes are doing like DVL.here's a pic of when the lake was low due to the original or new canal sides broke when linning was in progress.Do not know if that is the truth but the park rangers said it.The tires where by the campground but not in pic

Which Way Out
09-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Do you have anymore photos to share ?
I would like to see the tires and the blocks. And did anyone ever find the Large Earthmover Tire ? Its HUGE!!! We placed it on the east side of the lake along the curve out about 200 feet. The lake is deeper there by about 4 feet. Just imagine between the Outlet and the cement Jetty at the right curve and out about 200 feet. I bet it holds some big cats.

fullstringer
09-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm looking, from where I took that pic I also have some facing east and west and the whole campground area to the outlet was dry no big tire did find a cover for a 25hp motor,as stated before the only area that had water 25-50ft from shore all the way around to the long jetty

Catrack77
09-28-2011, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=Which Way Out;580245]

Catrack77
09-28-2011, 03:42 PM
[IMG][url]http://i

CCfisherman
09-28-2011, 04:15 PM
The Coachella canal is being chorinated at one point to prevent the quagga from entering the canal.

Couesdeer77

Thanks for the info. That explain all the dead fish I ran in to near Glamis earlier this year.

Catrack77
09-28-2011, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=CCfisherman;580992]Thanks

CCfisherman
09-28-2011, 05:07 PM
CouseDeer77

Do you know why the fish die off? I see this happened every year between February trough later March.

Catrack77
09-28-2011, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=CCfisherman;581007]CouseDeer77

Do you know why t