PDA

View Full Version : Courtesy/Boat Etiquette at DVL

Surfnsnowboard3
09-13-2011, 08:12 PM
So by now we all know the inlet tower and secOndary inlet are the hot spots for striper. All you have to do is drive to that spot and see a group of 10+ boats in a tight circle fishing for striper.

Is it proper for a boat to join the group of already 10+ boats to catch striper? What's the proper etiquette for this?

Cpt. Heffanio
09-13-2011, 08:18 PM
That's a good question, I had the same experience this weekend at Perris. There was about 10+ boats hitting that spot on the front side by the swimming beach. As I pulled up it looked like a tournament kinda deal but I was marking fish like crazy. I moved to another spot and let them fish - but maybe if I was friends with someone out there it would be cool? I dunno??

The last thing I want to do is be "That Guy" right?? LOL

ProducerPlug
09-13-2011, 08:46 PM
There are fish all over that lake right now, if you feel uncomfortable about joining the fleet. We have been getting 25-30 fish a day, all summer, and have yet to fish a piece of bait or even get close to the "spot". Trust me they aren't all right there! Hope you get some no matter where you decide to fish. Good luck out there!

dixoncider
09-13-2011, 08:47 PM
There is no boat etiquette on lakes that I can see..More the merrier as far as I am concerned.. Everybody has been real cool even in the close quarters out there..

Surfnsnowboard3
09-13-2011, 09:05 PM
There is no boat etiquette on lakes that I can see..More the merrier as far as I am concerned.. Everybody has been real cool even in the close quarters out there..

Thanks for the response. Imma head into the group of boats tomorrow and hope to not get the stink eye.

Cadillyak
09-13-2011, 09:54 PM
I have been out at DVL with 15+ boats on the bouyline and everyone was great. When the patrol came by, a boat that was tied to the bouyline untied and ended up bumping into my boat. A knob off my trolling motor snapped off and went flying after he bumped us. How did I react?? Aww man, don't even worry about it. We are all out here having a great time, catching fish. I returned home from a great day of fishing, and just let my warranty cover it. I can't speak for all, but I figure share the wealth.

JigStop
09-14-2011, 08:36 AM
It's great to see that everyone recognizes that this is not a life or death type of issue. It's about culling striper and getting some meat in the freezer! I used to fish the famous deep water hole at Toledo Bend lake in Texas and we would be fishing 45ft. deep with minnows for 2lb average crappie. The "fleet" could be over 200 boats strong on a good weekend. That pressure kept that lake one of the best crappie lakes for years. Cull the striper or they will turn into cigar fish !

TroutOnly
09-14-2011, 08:51 AM
PULL UP RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THEM AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS,,,,,,THE SCHOOLIE FISH ARE COMING OFF THE BAIT, THE TROLLERS ARE CATCHING MOST OF THE BIG FISH,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,,

Matt_Magnone
09-14-2011, 07:17 PM
dont sweat it man. get up in there. etiquette isn't in DVL's vocabulary. just as long as you're not blatantly running over someones lines or getting within a cast you should be fine. with a lot of these anglers dropping straight down into 100+ feet. i highly doubt by you pulling up into a crowd that anyone elses bite will be tarnished. besides. stripers are like mackerel and barracuda. they're everywhere, they eat everything.

for jokes, id pull to the outside of everyone and start roping fish. once the armada drifts towards you, the guy getting bit, fire the boat up, drive around everyone and park on the alpha spot the rest of the day. hahaha :LOL:

dixoncider
09-14-2011, 10:13 PM
One more thing. If you are going to anchor UP wind of someone. Make sure you have the right stuff as to not drift or drag down on to the boat that's already anchored..It's a mess.. and if the boat's that's anchored first is on fish..he may be bummed...

eddiefishtaco
09-14-2011, 10:37 PM
common sense, for bait fishing anchored
I would park at the end, where the current
is bringing all the bait smell
that's where big mama is