PDA

View Full Version : Sierra crayfish? Edible?

JSAUCE818
09-13-2011, 09:37 AM
I noticed crayfish/dads which ever way you want to call it that ive caught in bishop area, and also at June Loop area have these parasite like worms both inside and out...just like this image http://www.bgsd.k12.wa.us/hml/jr_cam/macros/efl_spr05/images/crayfish3.jpg I seen some reports where some of you catch them and eat them...Am i the only one that has caught them with those worms?...are they even safe to eat?...

DC5fishR
09-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Most crayfish that I've caught and seen have those little worms coming out of them. It's probably safe to eat them since the worms would be killed from being cooked. What technique and process did you use to catch them?

JSAUCE818
09-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Most crayfish that I've caught and seen have those little worms coming out of them. It's probably safe to eat them since the worms would be killed from being cooked. What technique and process did you use to catch them?
hey, ive caught DOZENS OF THEM at a canal in Bishop,..about 50-60, (2 different ice chest) i was keeping them in a ice chest with water,..i got disgusted when i actually opened one up on the spot, and i saw it filled with worms inside its shell:EyePop:....i just let all of them go back in the water...I used this type of trap http://image.become.com/imageserver/s5/998881845-150-150-5-32/promar-collapsible-crab-fish-or-crawdad-trap-24x18x18.jpg to catch them using Bacon, or a chicken wing or drumstick with the skin attached to it (they stick to it while eating it). Did you consume the ones you caught?

DC5fishR
09-15-2011, 10:47 AM
No, I've never eaten any that I've caught. Actually, it's because I know a lot a crayfish have those worms that I don't consume them. I always tell my friends when I see them at a restaurant, "I'm not eating those, I know too much" Ignorance is bliss.

ToadsToadsOnly
09-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Crayfish or crawfish are delicious when cooked correctly.. But I am not sure I would eat ones with worms inside. I have cooked crayfish Cajun style more times than I remember and never have seen them with worms inside or out. The ones I normally get are usually shipped from the south(louisiana/texas). Check out the The Boiling Crab on yelp and all the reviews about crawfish but I do have to warn you dont eat the crawfish at Boiling Crab unless you want to be hooked for life..

Thisfool
09-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Crayfish or crawfish are delicious when cooked correctly.. But I am not sure I would eat ones with worms inside. I have cooked crayfish Cajun style more times than I remember and never have seen them with worms inside or out. The ones I normally get are usually shipped from the south(louisiana/texas). Check out the The Boiling Crab on yelp and all the reviews about crawfish but I do have to warn you dont eat the crawfish at Boiling Crab unless you want to be hooked for life..

"The shack" is way better. ive only ever seen one boiling crab so i don't know if its a chain but the "The Shack" is just a small family Cajun style place. in Rowland heights. supper good food at even better prices.

i thought that restaurants bought there crayfish from farms where they are kept and raised in a way that they do not get parasites.

i deffently would not eat anything with worms in it or on it, that area where you took them from probably just has a sierous worm problem

sierraslam
09-16-2011, 07:20 AM
I've seen a post on this very site that had a huge pot of frying Crayfish from Crowley if I remember correctly.

JSAUCE818
09-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks for tip! im definately gonna have to check that out. Im supposed to head out to mammoth next week...if i catch any..ill post up pics so yall can see what im talking about.

"The shack" is way better. ive only ever seen one boiling crab so i don't know if its a chain but the "The Shack" is just a small family Cajun style place. in Rowland heights. supper good food at even better prices.

i thought that restaurants bought there crayfish from farms where they are kept and raised in a way that they do not get parasites.

i deffently would not eat anything with worms in it or on it, that area where you took them from probably just has a sierous worm problem
thanks, whats wierd is that ive caught them at a canal in bishop, and also at Gull Lake.....if i catch them at a different lake in the sierras and it still has worms...im giving up and ordering from the places you just mentioned and toadstoadsonly mentioned as well.

I've seen a post on this very site that had a huge pot of frying Crayfish from Crowley if I remember correctly.
YES!...i remember that as well, and i seen others.

JohnnyBoy
09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
I noticed crayfish/dads which ever way you want to call it that ive caught in bishop area, and also at June Loop area have these parasite like worms both inside and out...just like this image http://www.bgsd.k12.wa.us/hml/jr_cam/macros/efl_spr05/images/crayfish3.jpg I seen some reports where some of you catch them and eat them...Am i the only one that has caught them with those worms?...are they even safe to eat?...

Check out this thread. I would never eat these guys unless they were seriously cooked. Even then, I'm leary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXJdTWzpqog

shinbob
09-17-2011, 09:00 AM
It's not the parasites you see that's the problem, it's the ones you don't see that can get you. I've caught and eaten literally thousands of crayfish from the high sierras, and have never had a problem. Though I cook them thoroughly (full boil in salty water for 10 mins, then 10+ mins soak). If you're still worried about the parasites, then you probably shouldn't be eating the trout either. There's a good reason why you don't see freshwater fish served in sushi restaurants.

Having said that, though, I do personally stay away from the crayfish caught in Bishop or lower elevations. The warmer water and especially the cattle and horses provide a rich environment for all kinds of bugs...

bbc
09-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Cook them up and they are fine. We will all be up at Crowley this weekend Dad'n and Trout'n.

Tangles

smokehound
09-19-2011, 12:26 AM
the crayfish are totally safe to eat, provided they are properly cooked.

that hamburger you ate has worms in it =P

sierraslam
09-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Would it be legal to use Crayfish for big Brownie bait?

1HR2BBL
09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Would it be legal to use Crayfish for big Brownie bait?

Yes, provided the crayfish come from the same water that you are fishing, and bait is allowed.

sierraslam
09-19-2011, 10:45 PM
hmm... Anyone tried crayfish for trout?

smokehound
09-19-2011, 10:52 PM
hmm... Anyone tried crayfish for trout?I doubt a trout would want a mature crayfish, they would love a small tender juvenile craw, though.