PDA

View Full Version : 2 lbs, 150 yards spool for shore fishing - enough for THE 'Big One'?

Ultralight
09-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Curious how far large holdover trout would run, say a 10 lbs Brown or Rainbow. I spool with 150 yards 2lbs Maxima and never came close to getting spooled, even with a couple of 7+ but those were hatchery fresh fish. In the Sierras, I wonder if there's a chance of getting spooled with 150 yards of 2 lbs test. Do they ever run that far?

Thanks,
UL

IncredibleHuck
09-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Curious how far large holdover trout would run, say a 10 lbs Brown or Rainbow. I spool with 150 yards 2lbs Maxima and never came close to getting spooled, even with a couple of 7+ but those were hatchery fresh fish. In the Sierras, I wonder if there's a chance of getting spooled with 150 yards of 2 lbs test. Do they ever run that far?

Thanks,
UL

Float tube? Boat? Shore? Think about the areas you are fishing. I would think you'll be fine as long as your drag is set accordingly.

Ultralight
09-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Sorry, wasn't clear. I meant shore as my title stated but I did not mention it in the body. If it was boat, I could always just chase the fish down but from shore, no such luxury...:LOL:

Thanks,
UL

TrOuT FeVeR
09-12-2011, 10:02 PM
i dont think you will get spooled i fish 4 lb test up in the sierras. i think 150 yards of 2lb test would i go up once a month and we always catch some nice fish but we never get spooled like last month when i was up their i caught a 3.5 pound alper and that thing was peeling line man.so if you fishing 2lb line keep your drag loose those alpers fight good.

IncredibleHuck
09-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Sorry, wasn't clear. I meant shore as my title stated but I did not mention it in the body. If it was boat, I could always just chase the fish down but from shore, no such luxury...:LOL:

Thanks,
UL

LOL i should read better! You'll be fine with 150 yards. Think about it, that's a football field and a half.

Ultralight
09-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Yeah...but I'm told if parents aren't careful, the big ones there eat little children for breakfast....LOL! Good to have the reassurance.

UL

LOL i should read better! You'll be fine with 150 yards. Think about it, that's a football field and a half.

Matt44
10-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Its not uncommon for monster browns to make 100 yard runs. Expecially if you got a dd on! Alot of people use baitcast reels and 10 lb test while fishin for them. And they usually are tossin swimbaits,big rapalas,trophy sticks, and ac plugs!

cjschock
10-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Heading back from the sierras as I write this spent 3 days on twin lakes BP. Trolling for the "big one". Didn't happen. Ended up with a 16 brown casting at a log with a 5 inch swimbait on 12 pound. Water is still warm and most fish were reading 60 to 80 feet. Got a decent brown out of walker on jig with 2 pound test. I use 8 to 20 pound based on where or how I am fishing. I never got anything close to a ten but Ive had a 3.5 on 8 and it fought hard. Alpers are no problem on 2 on 2 pound.

Matt44
10-23-2011, 12:27 PM
What were you tossin shock? Ill be up the 4th thru the 7th for my fix and again the last week

Big Country
10-24-2011, 04:04 PM
2lb will require a lot of luck...just the idea of throwing a $25 lure with 2 lb is scary, but to each his own. I've caught a couple 7's & 8's (browns) on 3 lb but there were absolutely no obstructions or anything else to get broke off on. If there is anything like that in the vicinity of where you hook a nice brown, enjoy the quick ride because they head right for structure and then do the aligator death roll and then you get to experience that sensation you have like you're in a dream and falling. For what it's worth, I jig fish with 3 lb, fish the creeks with 6 lb and troll braid to a 15 or 18 lbs floro leader.

cjschock
10-25-2011, 11:30 PM
What were you tossin shock? Ill be up the 4th thru the 7th for my fix and again the last week

Matt I use the standars rapalas in gold/black, pointers in rainbow, I have ac plugs and lately I have been experiencing with small 5 to 6 inch swimbaits. My standard in the streams is the gold husky jerk 12 but I like the jackyll jerkbaits also. For trolling I have a few custom rago plugs that I have bee using.

vortec_cruiser
10-28-2011, 03:12 PM
2lb will require a lot of luck...just the idea of throwing a $25 lure with 2 lb is scary, ...

Show me a $25 lure that's small enough for 2 lb. line.

Matt44
10-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Ohh you can toss them but you will lose them. A hookset alone on a swimbait or jerkbait from a decent brown would snap 2lb in a heartbeat. What he's trying to say is save your money and your lures and fish 8 to 10 lb test while targeting the bigger models. I love fishing ultra light for trout but there's a big difference in a stocker and a decent wild brown . Just my two cents.

Ultralight
10-29-2011, 09:29 PM
It seems that larger browns are more of a crankbait type of affair. However, if one hooked up on a good sized brown on a minijig, would that work? Lets say a 5 lbs brown. Can't imagine that size brown spooling all 150 yards.

UL

Matt44
10-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Iv never caught a huge one on a jig maybe to 3 lbs that's how I mainly fish for trout tho love the mini jig

Big Country
10-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks Matt44...that was basically my point. As for jigging, my biggest brown is right around 8 lbs on a 3lb test that broke during while netting the fishing. That was scary as hell as I knew it was big and was basically waiting for it to break. I made it through a couple of long runs (no where near 150 yds) and the classic big brown alligator death roll before she bellied up and submitted. This was all in a lake though with little to no structure around.

That same set up was getting busted off left and right last year during the closer in a couple of my target creeks. 2 lb is real hard in moving water, but I do it because it's challenging and fun.

cjschock
10-31-2011, 09:33 PM
Matt where you headed up to this weekend. Im gonna drive up friday and thinking about heading back up to BP.

Matt44
10-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Staying in the loop in a cabin on gull but im definitely gonna head to bridgeport with the weather predictions, i was gonna post up if anyone is headed up and wants to fish im all game!

Big Country
11-01-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm not heading up until next Wed through Sun, but good luck to you on your brownie hunt.

smokehound
11-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Ultralight test is not required.

You can get by with heavier line when it comes to browns.

6 lb is fine.