PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Lakes 9/11

billy b
09-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Rain and storm kept us off Gull Lake on our return visit from the football game ... when I got to the turnoff for Virginia Lakes, I stopped for 1.5 hours and got 10 on NC's and Rainbow Salmon Egg on UPPER. I believe there are 2 inlets to the lake that I need to explore. Lots of weeds ... I should have tried a bobber ... next time.

bstolton
09-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Fished little virginia on 9-8, started slow but the orange PW finally kicked in, also caught some on gulp pinched nightcrawlers. Saw a 26" plus alper swim by right in front of us, I swear he had a smirk on his face as he went by. The DFG truck showed up just as we were leaving. Love big and little virginia, always seem to do well there.

socal114
09-15-2011, 10:19 PM
I was on Gull Fri and Sat during the storms that came in. As soon as the sun disappeared, the bite went ballistic. Unless you don't have the neccessary clothing to handle the rain, don't skip it next time. You won't be sorry. I tubed through the downpour on Sat. and the bite was SWO with numerous "doubles".

RiverWalker
09-16-2011, 09:43 AM
I can't wait to hit both Virginia's for our 'Near closer trip' in either later October or early November. I was in the Mammoth area in the first week of June but called the resort and was told that both lakes were still frozen over! What a disapointment is was considering the Virginia's are two of my favorites! NEVER bow out in the rain! Unless you're forced to because of the wives or kids! I've had some of my most productive sessions when it was raining. Come to think about it, just on my last trip I was float tubing the inlet at Grant and was getting poured on all day. I noticed that almost everytime the rain picked up our rods would double over. Wearing waders, a fleece jacket, a hat, and rain jacket obviously helped keep the situation comfortable.

Has any of you ever fished Trumbull Lake near the Virginia lake(s)? I've always been tempted to give it a try but with the Virginia(s) always in my sight, I never have.

1HR2BBL
09-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Virginia lakes are great ice fishing in early season.

socal_native
09-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Hit up Little Virginia and Trumbull and Virginia on 9/9. C&R many stockers, my buddy got a 4lbs alper nice fish but not much of a fight.

Trumbell is about the size of little Virginia but it is not clear like the Virginia's are. The water was a muddy green color and didn't look promising. We float tubed all over it but only caught them near the south shore near the parking areas.

It hailed for about 10 minutes while on Virginia and then rained, but decent clothes/jacket worked fine and it cleared the area of most people.

mytyt
09-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Any hatches going on at Virgina or Gull? Where did you launch at Gull?

RiverWalker
09-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the info on Trumbull. I might have to set aside some time and convince the guys to check it out. I hear ya about the weather at Virginia. Out of the last 5 years or so I've been to the Virginia(s) about 10 times and probably 8 of those 10 times we got either poured on or snowed on. As long as the lake is ice free and the wind isn't too bad, it's all good. Like you said, people clear out and we get the lake to ourselves.

Has any of you ever hiked up to that little lake that sits on top of Big Virginia. I've always wanted to scout it out. I heard it holds some little brookies and browns. The hike isn't too far either.

Hit up Little Virginia and Trumbull and Virginia on 9/9. C&R many stockers, my buddy got a 4lbs alper nice fish but not much of a fight.

Trumbell is about the size of little Virginia but it is not clear like the Virginia's are. The water was a muddy green color and didn't look promising. We float tubed all over it but only caught them near the south shore near the parking areas.

It hailed for about 10 minutes while on Virginia and then rained, but decent clothes/jacket worked fine and it cleared the area of most people.

bstolton
09-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Fished the virginias the end of june this year and they told us it had only been thawed out for a couple of days, there was still a few large chunks of ice floating around. It was wfo on a gold TB. Fished little virginia last november, one week before season end and killed them on white PWs. Love it up there, but the weather can be unpredictable. Hope to make it up there again before season end if the weather holds out.